Anybody with KTM Freeride E Please help!

hellboy666

I'm hoping to get a 2020 freeride e when they come out soon (yes, they are coming out I confirmed with rep at demo event 2 weeks ago). My concern is that it says charger can be connected to any 230 volt socket. What is this? When I google it I get pics of different plugs and outlets. Is this the washer dryer outlet it's referring to?

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I'm hoping to get a 2020 freeride e when they come out soon (yes, they are coming out I confirmed with rep at demo event 2 weeks ago). My concern is that it says charger can be connected to any 230 volt socket. What is this? When I google it I get pics of different plugs and outlets. Is this the washer dryer outlet it's referring to?

230v 50hz is European standard.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I'm sure the rep was just reading off the spec sheet. The bikes will have to use US standard 220vac. Some call it 220, some say 240, but either way, it's 60hz. Yes, it's the voltage that your dryer uses, albeit the plug will be different.

Many of the modern chargers can take 50 or 60hz, 110, 120, 220, 230, or 240. The Alta chargers are like this, I'm sure the KTM units are similar.

teddyquinn

Will be nice if KTM brings the Freeride EXC bake stateside - even better if they try for it to be street legal. However, based on the global KTM site, it doesn't appear that even the 2020 MY has been updated (aside from BNG) since the big update in 2018 - switch to Sony cells, better brakes, etc. Hopefully they'll announce something at the shows this fall on this model.

ElectricMoto

I own some KTM Freeride first Gen pre-2018 ( as there are no Alta in Europe) and it is by no means a good Dirt Bike ( I also own a number of petrol ones) .
Can confirm that the 2020 have nothing new than any +2018 bike ( that have slightly better suspension and brakes but a 3.9kWh instead of the 2.6kWh than the first generation 2015-2017.
The only reason they made this bike was that they got the full development funded by XXXX and they wanted to build a more recreational bike ( lower seat hight, less power) then the EXC-range that is why the e-bike shares the same frame as the Freeride petrol bikes.
As the KTM is a "Converted" petrol bike it does have the battery in the place of where the petrol tank should be the difference is that the petrol tank would be approx 7 Litre ( approx 7kg) and the battery is 28kg ( 60 Lbs)
So, it is very top-heavy...and heavy in general.
If I lived in the US I would change my KTM's to Altas in a blink of an eye.
Whatever KTM question you have I hopefully can answer.

hellboy666

I own some KTM Freeride first Gen pre-2018 ( as there are no Alta in Europe) and it is by no means a good Dirt Bike ( I also own a number of petrol ones) .
Can confirm that the 2020 have nothing new than any +2018 bike ( that have slightly better suspension and brakes but a 3.9kWh instead of the 2.6kWh than the first generation 2015-2017.
The only reason they made this bike was that they got the full development funded by XXXX and they wanted to build a more recreational bike ( lower seat hight, less power) then the EXC-range that is why the e-bike shares the same frame as the Freeride petrol bikes.
As the KTM is a "Converted" petrol bike it does have the battery in the place of where the petrol tank should be the difference is that the petrol tank would be approx 7 Litre ( approx 7kg) and the battery is 28kg ( 60 Lbs)
So, it is very top-heavy...and heavy in general.
If I lived in the US I would change my KTM's to Altas in a blink of an eye.
Whatever KTM question you have I hopefully can answer.
Thanks for the review. Is it possible with an adapter to plug into standard wall outlet if no 240 volt available?

ElectricMoto

Thanks for the review. Is it possible with an adapter to plug into a standard wall outlet if no 240 volt available?
I haven't checked the KTM charger , but in general there is a difference between Europe and USA from the power outlets. in general here in EU we have 220-240V and 50Hz, ( however specified to +/- 10Hz) and US 110–120V 60 Hz . I can maybe provide a Tech Spec for the KTM charger but I do think that other people in here can tell you if it will work

Brillie35

Make Alta Great Again
If KTM brings the freeride e series to America you can be sure the charger will accept your most common power network.

I too have a KTM freeride e.
After KTM didn't sell very much of them, they went with a 50% price discount over here.
It is for sure not a full blown motocross bike.
You should compare it more to a trail bike like the yamaha ttr range.
But man, what did i have a lot of fun with it.
I did around a 100 hours on it, and only now i am thinking about changing the chain and sprockets.
There is absolutely no major maintaince for all this time.
We use it mostly for tight wood single trails and tight motocross tracks.
Anything more wide open and you run to the limits of the bike, and that kills the fun.

The battery is high up and pretty heavy. But when riding i do not notice it is top heavy.
The bike itself is just a size smaller than a normal dirtbike.
To me it feels very agile in motion.

What works pretty well is that you can very quickly change the battery.
That is a big plus in my opinion.
And a big miss with their sxE 5.
Which i hope sells badly so i can snag one up with a big discount for my kids.:p

I thougt they developt the frame from the beginning for the electric drivetrain but with in mind they could use it later for different engines.

I for sure do not regret buying it, and probibly the best thing is that anyone who could drive a bicycle can ride this bike.
The bike is just a bit smaller and the first power mode is very mellow.
So it is very fun to use it to introduce people to motocross.

But i also have to state that i for sure did not would have bought it, if it was at full price.

bluefxstc

The standard Alta charger can take 45-65 Hz and 85-265 VAC. The KTM and Alta fast charger probably similar specs. I doubt you will have any problem with the charger regardless of the country you are using it in. You will just need an adapter, or change the charger plug, to the accommodate the plug standard of the country you are using the charger in.

fstclyz

Freeride owners, have you tried charging the bike with a portable generator? I have found a plug adaptor which fits gens and the KTM charger plug and hoping that could be done....?

ElectricMoto

Yes, I do that with a Honda EU30i ( Silent Inverter ) however I had my hopes that the 2200W Honda EU22i would do the trick but when the charger kicked-in the Honda 22i wasn't powerful enough. I do know that you can charge with non-inverter cheap loud ones, as long as they are powerful enough + 2500W (?)

fstclyz

This is good news and thanks. Does it get you the same charging times as using a wall plug?

I have a 5500 Champion coming to test this out. :)

hellboy666

If KTM brings the freeride e series to America you can be sure the charger will accept your most common power network.

I too have a KTM freeride e.
After KTM didn't sell very much of them, they went with a 50% price discount over here.
It is for sure not a full blown motocross bike.
You should compare it more to a trail bike like the yamaha ttr range.
But man, what did i have a lot of fun with it.
I did around a 100 hours on it, and only now i am thinking about changing the chain and sprockets.
There is absolutely no major maintaince for all this time.
We use it mostly for tight wood single trails and tight motocross tracks.
Anything more wide open and you run to the limits of the bike, and that kills the fun.

The battery is high up and pretty heavy. But when riding i do not notice it is top heavy.
The bike itself is just a size smaller than a normal dirtbike.
To me it feels very agile in motion.

What works pretty well is that you can very quickly change the battery.
That is a big plus in my opinion.
And a big miss with their sxE 5.
Which i hope sells badly so i can snag one up with a big discount for my kids.:p

I thougt they developt the frame from the beginning for the electric drivetrain but with in mind they could use it later for different engines.

I for sure do not regret buying it, and probibly the best thing is that anyone who could drive a bicycle can ride this bike.
The bike is just a bit smaller and the first power mode is very mellow.
So it is very fun to use it to introduce people to motocross.

But i also have to state that i for sure did not would have bought it, if it was at full price.
I just spoke with a dealer in Cambrige, and he stated that it definitely cannot charge from household plug but must be 240v like for a washer dryer outlet

hellboy666

Ok, so I got a NEMA 14-50 to L6-20R adapter the 14-50 for the 50amp hookup in rv park and the l6-20r is what is on the freeride. I hooked up, it said charging and at 40%, left for a couple hours and came back and the charger said fully charged 100%. I turn on the bike and it's completely dead. just flashing battery. Just going to finish putting the dual sport kit on since I was able to get this plated where I live, and onto cycletrader. I love the bike, it is amazing. Unfortunately, this bike is only good for homeowners who have a washer/dryer hookup to use for this. If you live in a RV full time, youll have to spend a decent amount for a 240v single phase generator that will be too heavy for one person to lift, so back to the old 2-stroke for me.

Bought-2-L8

Ok, so I got a NEMA 14-50 to L6-20R adapter the 14-50 for the 50amp hookup in rv park and the l6-20r is what is on the freeride. I hooked up, it said charging and at 40%, left for a couple hours and came back and the charger said fully charged 100%. I turn on the bike and it's completely dead. just flashing battery. Just going to finish putting the dual sport kit on since I was able to get this plated where I live, and onto cycletrader. I love the bike, it is amazing. Unfortunately, this bike is only good for homeowners who have a washer/dryer hookup to use for this. If you live in a RV full time, youll have to spend a decent amount for a 240v single phase generator that will be too heavy for one person to lift, so back to the old 2-stroke for me.
How much are you selling the plated Freeride for?

ElectricMoto

this guy is trying to explain the differences between the Alta & Freeride.

please be gentle :)

Follow this guy, and I do think he's a bit too pro Freeride, don't take me wrong the Freeride is what it was designed to be a Playbike not a Race bike, a competitor to the Yamaha TTR's , Honda CRF-F, Kawasaki KLX, and those are rare here in Europe so there was / is a Market gap to fill. Yes you can make a Playbike into a Race Bike but you end up with a lof added cost and the final machine is in general not as good as a bog stock MX / Enduro bike. Let Electric Bikes do things a Gas bike cannot do. Make Back-yard racing without disturbing your neighbours and ride where a noisy gas bike wouldn't be wanted / allowed. I rode my old trusty CRF450R -08 last wk-and back to back with the Freeride. The Honda you can easily flick around but the top heavy Freeride ( battery) make it far less nimble. Picking up the Freeride from the ground when laying it over in difficult terrain is HARD work, is like doing riding and Cross-Fit at the same time. I do use the Freeride 4 out of 5 times when I ride as I can "Ride where I stand" right out of my Garage. KTM makes excellent Race Bikes and the Freerride is a good Play / Trails Bike nothing more nothing less, but it enables me to Ride More and isn't that what it's all what it's about ?

Oded

I also follow this guy's channel (John Howerton), and I actually like him very much.
Many of his tips are suitable for the Alta as well. He is really showing what electric dirt bikes are all about. I am all for it.