Another code 36

Drtjumper

My son's Alta has the code 36 error. If I pull the pack from the bike who on here could fix it depending on what it needs? I would gladly pay to have it fixed. I do not have the electrical experience nor the time right now to try on my own.

There has been zero degradation in performance. The bike is also on its original firmware from Alta in 2018 if that makes a difference.

snydes

Staff member
First step would be to get an idea what is causing the code, a screenshot of the battery tab from one of the non-dealer versions of multi-tool would give a clue to the severity of the imbalance.

Drtjumper

I'd definitely need a screen print of the battery tab to determine worse case. That said, I can repair your pack if you can get it to me here in SoCal.
That's awesome. Yeah I'll see if I can figure this laptop stuff out and screenshot whatever is needed. I have no problem shipping it to you and back. Thank you.

Drtjumper

Anyone near Dallas Texas who has a laptop setup for this that can help me out if I can't figure this stuff out? I'll drive 3 or 4 hours in any direction if there is.

snydes

Staff member
Hmmm, unfortunately there’s more going on there than a simple broken wirebond. I’m thinking thats probably something wrong on the module PCB.

Mark911

That's a new one to me. If I had to guess, I'd say the DRB card is going bad/data corruption or the LTC chip is bad/data corrupted. Have you tried reloading the BRD and BCU firmware. I'd start there first.

Drtjumper

That's a new one to me. If I had to guess, I'd say the DRB card is going bad/data corruption or the LTC chip is bad/data corrupted. Have you tried reloading the BRD and BCU firmware. I'd start there first.
I don't have the first clue what any of that means or how to do it. This electrical stuff is all new to me. Want me to build a ice engine and diagnose it? No problem can do with my eyes closed. This stuff I'm an idiot with.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I don't have the first clue what any of that means or how to do it. This electrical stuff is all new to me. Want me to build a ice engine and diagnose it? No problem can do with my eyes closed. This stuff I'm an idiot with.

First off Mark meant to say BRD, that's a relay board which talks to the topcover; but if that board fails, the entire module will be non-communicative and its a much worse fail mode. Firmware might be able to provide some better insight, but being its been on FW that's not changed from factory, id suspect more of an issue with that module.

Drtjumper

First off Mark meant to say BRD, that's a relay board which talks to the topcover; but if that board fails, the entire module will be non-communicative and its a much worse fail mode. Firmware might be able to provide some better insight, but being its been on FW that's not changed from factory, id suspect more of an issue with that module.
Any idea on if it's fixable?

Mark911

That looks much better . . . . . So, the other screen shot was at about 50%? That suggests the charging and balance system is working properly. However, if the reported cell voltages are real, it also suggests problems during discharge. Worse case is that, somehow, those cells got damaged and have various capacities. The lowest being the one p-group that drops voltage the fastest and so on. Only running some tests at the module level would you know for sure.