AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AN SM WITH KNOBBIES

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Steve and I were talking about lowering one of my Altas for my girlfriend. I measured that the SM wheels alone would create a 1.5" drop. Then lower the seat and the suspension, and maybe then we could enjoy some trail riding together.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Steve and I were talking about lowering one of my Altas for my girlfriend. I measured that the SM wheels alone would create a 1.5" drop. Then lower the seat and the suspension, and maybe then we could enjoy some trail riding together.
This might give her that vital extra few inches she requires.
1604161904318.jpg

Blatant Moto

I have the Heidenau K60 Scout tires mounted on my SM. Dropped the gearing a smidge and it’s a fantastic 50/50 bike.
Here’s another SM we lowered with 19’s for Alan Birtwistle. Super fun bike. This is what I’m thinking of doing with mine but with a fabricated subframe to use a fiberglass tail like our race bike.

D84F2EF2-0ABB-47D5-AF4C-0BA7C17845DB.jpeg

1E20BB4C-7111-4553-B506-0EFE4B0ED05F.jpeg

zootie

Motolab in PA lowered my bike....now I can touch the ground!

B. FRANK

I refuse to be outsmarted by an inanimate object, in this case my Alta SM. the tires I installed (see above pictures) suck in the dirt, the 19 and 21 inch wheels won't clear the front brake caliper, so now I'm going to order real knobbies but can't find a wide enough front knobby. is there any reason I shouldn't run a rear tire on the front wheel? I'm not going to street ride that way, I have the extra sm wheels with sport bike tires and same sprocket and discs so it's a quick switch. I'm leaning towards a Kenda k670 120/90/17 front and the same rear except 130/90/17 any reason why not or does anyone know if I can go wider either front or rear? my ONLY other choices are irc ve35/ve33 and those are only available in 100/100/17...110/100/17...460/100/17 0r 510/100/17 the kendas are dot approved and the irc's are not. all are rear tires!

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I have seen SM riders use rear tires on the front as a way to put on knobbies to some dirt riding. Apparently it works well enough, but I'm not speaking from direct knowledge, just passing along what I have heard.

B. FRANK

thank you silent but dirty for posting alta replacement parts list, thanks to you I now know that the sm runs a 4 piston front brake caliper and the mx doesn't . now if anyone knows if the mx front brake caliper will mount up to the Sm's caliper mount maybe I can get the necessary clearance needed for a 21 inch front wheel.

B. FRANK

snow days are for working on your bike!! fresh knobbies, new slide plate and rear brake support bracket in place, the sm is ready to winter as a dirt bike if it would only stop snowing. if these tires don't work I'm gonna have to start looking for an mx front brake caliper to mount a 21 inch front wheel, I really don't want to go that route. we in Pennsylvania are preparing for 12 inches of snow tonight. I hope it was a female weatherperson who said that, guys lie so women think 12 inches is a lot shorter than it really is!!

KIMG0170.JPG

KIMG0169.JPG

KIMG0168.JPG

KIMG0167.JPG

KIMG0166.JPG