Alternative Fuel Vehicle Licensing Fees

leeo45

Geezer in denial
So, I just registered my EXR and was not so thrilled to discover that Georgia has an ANNUAL Alternative Fuel Vehicle Licensing Fee in addition to all of the regular vehicle fees. :mad: For 2018 that incremental fee is $208.13 and the state will adjust this fee each year based on their statutory formula of average vehicle fuel efficiency and usage. Although nobody at the DMV could explain it, the concept seems to be a tax on EVs equivalent to their estimate of taxes the average ICE vehicle pays in taxes on gas or diesel. Somehow, I doubt this annual number will go down and my cost per mile of ownership just went up a lot.

Curious if those of you with licensed EX, EXR, and SM bikes in other states have these fees?

Since all EVs are treated as equal in GA, I get to pay the same annual fee for my little dual sport bike as the owner of a $100K Tesla Model S who drives it to work every day. Oh well, I think I'll go ride some more and bring my cost per mile down. :ricky:

snydes

Staff member
That’s really disappointing. I’m sure every state will be going this direction, but there needs to be some distinction between different vehicle classes.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
CT has been kicking this idea around. With elections around the corner the Democrats are holding tight on EV regulations, tolls on 95, 84, and 91, etc.

strider

They tried to implement a similar thing here in OK but the courts struck it down. It was to be a flat $100 fee on EVs and $30 on hybrids. I'm sure they've try again.

GA's fee is high!

Jared

Got my first tab renewal on the EXR. $225 in additional fees over the standard renewal fees, just because it is electric! Flat out rediculous here in WA!

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Got my first tab renewal on the EXR. $225 in additional fees over the standard renewal fees, just because it is electric! Flat out rediculous here in WA!

Obviously the electric motorcycle contingent has very little to no political clout, however it would sure be nice to see a graduated fee so that dual sport motorcycles aren't paying the same annual EV fee as a Tesla pick-up truck.

With the great fuel mileage and relatively limited use, I probably burn less than 40 gallons of gasoline in my ICE dual sport bike each year and I probably ride more than most people. Due to the range limits I put even fewer miles on my EXR. That means I'm paying well over $6.00 per gallon in EV specific taxes for each gallon of gas I am NOT burning. Welcome to my world. :mad: