Alta's LHRB w/ foot brake

SuburbanDad

Hey all,

Sorry if this is answered buried in here somewhere but I am a bit pressed for time since I need to have the bike back together by next weekend for the epic summer weekend ride at Gifford Pinchot.

TL/DR:
I am looking for a source for a suitable brake line that will work with the Alta LHRB master cylinder and the Clake adapter linked in this DIY LHRB thread.

boring backstory:
I have my 2017 MX plated in Oregon. I *was* using a hydraulic switch on the footbrake to trigger the brake light. But the LHRB kit did away with the foot brake and doesn't offer any option for triggering the brake light. I decided to just ride dirty for the rare occasion that I am on the street and try the bike without a foot brake for a while. Well, last weekend I dumped the bike on the down slope of a steep rocky right hand switchback, and managed to smash the exposed LHRB brake line between the battery and a particularly pokey rock. Rear brake was gone for the rest of the ride :(

I am trying to make lemons from this lemonade by adding my OEM footbrake back to the setup so I can have both handlebar and foot brake and also get the hydraulic switch back in the mix for brake light. The DIY thread doesn't have pics of the master they are using on the bars, but I presume it is a 90deg fitting instead of the straight line setup like the master from Alta.

Has anybody sourced (or know where to source) a brake line for the Alta bar mounted MC that will attach to the Clake foot brake adapter?

TIA

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The clutch hose from the DIY thread looks just like yours at the master cylinder.

Clutch hose KTM P/N 60032063100 from the 2014+ KTM Adventure (must straighten by 45deg at your own risk).

Someone was also ordering custom lines, but they are not off-the-shelf and you may not get them in time.

SuburbanDad

The clutch hose from the DIY thread looks just like yours at the master cylinder.

Clutch hose KTM P/N 60032063100 from the 2014+ KTM Adventure (must straighten by 45deg at your own risk).

Grazie. I found one on ebay for a reasonable price that is worth trying to bend up. Now if clake can ship in time...

Do you have pics of your hose routing? I am hoping that the DIY setup is going to leave less of the hose exposed to future smashings.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Prego. I think you could buy/borrow the Clake piece from @OneLapper.

I do not have the routing pics, sorry. But the hose goes into the frame hole under the "gas tank" and comes out of another hole by your right foot. I used a wire and some duct tape to pull the hose though, from the bottom up. All on the right hand side.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I have the Clake inserts.

The hose 60032063100 is on back order from KTM with an October estimated fulfillment. I've been working on having a custom hose made but haven't nailed down a supplier and pricing. The KTM hose is about $25 cheaper than a custom hose will be though.

For reference, the hose needs to be approx 1330mm in length.

The Brembo master for the LHRB is PN 79202030044. They came off back order about two weeks ago. It has a straight fitting, not a banjo bolt set like the front brake hose and master has.

SuburbanDad

The hose 60032063100 is on back order from KTM with an October estimated fulfillment. I've been working on having a custom hose made but haven't nailed down a supplier and pricing. The KTM hose is about $25 cheaper than a custom hose will be though.

Well, I thought I managed to find one of these brake lines on ebay, but they cancelled and refunded me. What are the deets on the custom hose? How are you planning to route it?

as far as epic ride is concerned, my buddy pointed out that I could just revert back to foot brake only while I wait on parts..

WoodsWeapon

Spiegler Performance is who I used for the custom line. It took about 10 days to get to me.
I also have a friend in the heavy equipment parts business and his shop makes hydraulic lines. He offered to make one for me after I had already ordered, but I get the impression any hydraulic hose shop would have the correct size fittings and banjos. Probably not the cheapest option, but likely the fastest.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I just ordered a hose from Spiegler as well. When I get the hose I will take it to a hydraulic shop and see if they can reproduce it. I talked to them about it and it might not be as easy as it seems. Finding the correct fittings and hose will take some work. And they might not have the correct dies to crimp the fittings.

To get the length of the hose I routed a 1/4" DOT air line through the frame and around the head of the frame. It should work well

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Update: To make brake lines the shop has to have a DOT number, making the line traceable to them. The hydraulic shop I use looked at the hose and said they could not duplicate it stating Parker doesn't sell the fittings, and furthermore, they don't have a DOT number and don't plan on getting one.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
The DOT does not regulate off-road vehicles, or does it?

But yeah, not having a fitting could be a problem.

I doubt it does, but I'd bet the OEMs only use DOT brake and clutch lines on their bikes. What would be the cost savings by not using them?

Motophyllic

I tried finding the extended brake line on Spiegler, but cannot locate the part number Onelapper supplied.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Spiegler has a hose configuration guide if you choose to order online. I think you can disseminate the part number and order the hose that way, albeit not as easily as talking to someone. Their part numbering system is pretty straight forward.

To order online, you'll start a hose configuration using their online guide. Custom Brake Lines | Motorcycle Brake Lines | Spiegler USA

Choose Customize Standard Brake Line
Select brake line color (my pn is for a clear line)
Select fitting color (stainless steel)
Add email address
Set Fitting F1, choose 001
Set Fitting F2, choose 410
Set Length to 1330

Click Request Quote and wait for the email!

I did not specify a grommet or tab. I don't think either are needed.