Altas arrived yesterday night....now to the stupid questions

TeslaRaptor

Hi Folks, first let me say thanks for the forum and community support.....this forum played a major factor in my buying decision.

my 2 2018 MXRs arrived from Michigan yesterday. One was a demo machine that the dealership’s son seems to have riden pretty hard (have future questions on the rear shock and front forks) with 642 Kilometers on it (no idea why it isn’t in miles given the bike is coming from Michigan). And a brand new 2018 MXR with 9 miles on it.

now to the questions......

unloaded the bike from the moto shipper, rolled it to the garage. Damn this thing is heavy. Wait.....where is the grab handle? Where do I put my hand to not rip off the rear fender...... ok. change of plans. Will get one of the jack lifts...

Questions:

1) what technique am I missing to put the MXR on a normal Mx stand? Been using the standard technique for my TC 125 and TC 250.

2) where is it safe to grab the rear. (For context, I accidentally ripped the rear plastics off my sons KLX140 quickly moving it in the garage.....and had to replace them....so looking to avoid that same error with the Altas).

Thx for all the help in advance!

snydes

Staff member
Christmas came early!

You can switch between kph and mph by holding down one of the display buttons (I think...), can’t recall which one.

Only semi-safe place to grab is the cut out between the back of the fender and side plate where you are catching the back portion of the subframe. I try to always use my lift stand though unless I can’t avoid it. The fender inserts take very little force to pull out.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Looks like the first bike was potentially updated. You need to push the first button on the left of the display to go from KPH to MPH.

The subframe is a pretty sturdy piece...when grabbed correctly. Under the number plate and you grab specifically the subframe is the safest place to move the bike or lift it. Grab the number plate...and you tear them off the subframe. Dont do that.

TeslaRaptor

Looks like the first bike was potentially updated.

When you say "updated" do you mean firmware? I am still working to get MultiTool installed working (see my reply in that thread on the python/linux package dependencies)...but once I get that working then will make sure both bikes are on the latest firmware.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
When you say "updated" do you mean firmware? I am still working to get MultiTool installed working (see my reply in that thread on the python/linux package dependencies)...but once I get that working then will make sure both bikes are on the latest firmware.

Yes. The display update was part of a final FW push that came out in the end of summer time when we were in existence. Honestly there is no real reason to push updates to the bike anymore since the updates past that were not publicly pushed.

TeslaRaptor

Yes. The display update was part of a final FW push that came out in the end of summer time when we were in existence. Honestly there is no real reason to push updates to the bike anymore since the updates past that were not publicly pushed.

ok. Great to know that having the km/miles toggle confirms the latest firmware. (I just went and checked that both MXRs can do this..so they both are on the latest firmware).....but I still want to get MultiTool setup/working. :geek: