Alta Test Track Build (In progress)

OK, while I am waiting to find somewhere to move to and get this E-Track up and running (Have sold my property twice now and both times the people have pulled out the deal at the very last minite!) I have been given the use of just over an Acre to do what I like with!, really over the moon as its not a mile from my home and a very good friend too.

So, question is does anyone have or use a track thats only on an acre?, my old track was on 11! (Main track was on 7, and the extension we used at weekends was 4).

I want to use it for some practise, I have all my machinery still from running the old track so have a very good low hour 100hp Tractor, have some Discs, Power harrow, scraper, subsoiler etc. Have the use of a 16t 360 digger too thats going to be such a great help. Soil is there and plenty of it too.

I would like to build something on the Acre edge to edge and make the best possible practise track i can using every inch!, main thing i would like to have is a big tabletop jump as i need the jumping practise the most and would be the most valuable thing for myself.

I do have some other room for the figure 8 track for keeping up technique training, so the Acre is to max out the best possible layout i can get for all round practise to get to know the bike, train as and when i like and some race fitness too!.

Have had a look on Youtube and there is some and has given me some ideas, but just thought i would put it out there with you guys.

So if anyone has a similar type track set up or can point me in the direction of something that might suit please do chip in!. I know its not a massive amount of space so am asking for idea's before i start to draw out on paper a basic track and move some soil!.

Cheers.

Ramp_Tramp

If you make the jump; take off 2.5 meters tall with an 8m radius and 19m to 21m to the landing knuckle, you wont be disappointed. Really, in a small space you will want to go supercross style, it will keep you fit that's for sure

Here is what I have:
Thats great for form & control as Brian says. I try and have a figure 8 session as much as i can just to "refresh". Adding doubles would be fun!. Thanks for the share.
If you make the jump; take off 2.5 meters tall with an 8m radius and 19m to 21m to the landing knuckle, you wont be disappointed. Really, in a small space you will want to go supercross style, it will keep you fit that's for sure
For sure. I dont have that much space but thinking a square table top that i can hit 4 ways might be a good addition too?.
You could look at arenacross layouts and adjust to fit
Hey Bloak. Thats where i am at. Been looking at some of the UK ones and i think the basis is what i will have to look at. Have to think of the soil i am going to use and have access too, its not a hard Cley so need to keep in mind that it will wear down and i will need to rebuild, but with the big 360 i can sure pack it down well. Thanks.

Chadx

Fun project! Layout is 100% dependent on dimensions of that one acre which you don't specify. Perfectly square? Long as narrow? Can't give suggestions with more info.

Ramp_Tramp

The only issue with a square table you can jumps four ways is the take of and landing are different.. you could jump it 2 ways...

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The only issue with a square table you can jumps four ways is the take of and landing are different.. you could jump it 2 ways...
I have been scratching my head for the last two days thinking how I could possibly add jumps in the middle of my figure-8 track. If I make the landings less steep, would I then have to always ride it in the same direction, haha?

wwmotors

OK, while I am waiting to find somewhere to move to and get this E-Track up and running (Have sold my property twice now and both times the people have pulled out the deal at the very last minite!) I have been given the use of just over an Acre to do what I like with!, really over the moon as its not a mile from my home and a very good friend too.

So, question is does anyone have or use a track thats only on an acre?, my old track was on 11! (Main track was on 7, and the extension we used at weekends was 4).

I want to use it for some practise, I have all my machinery still from running the old track so have a very good low hour 100hp Tractor, have some Discs, Power harrow, scraper, subsoiler etc. Have the use of a 16t 360 digger too thats going to be such a great help. Soil is there and plenty of it too.

I would like to build something on the Acre edge to edge and make the best possible practise track i can using every inch!, main thing i would like to have is a big tabletop jump as i need the jumping practise the most and would be the most valuable thing for myself.

I do have some other room for the figure 8 track for keeping up technique training, so the Acre is to max out the best possible layout i can get for all round practise to get to know the bike, train as and when i like and some race fitness too!.

Have had a look on Youtube and there is some and has given me some ideas, but just thought i would put it out there with you guys.

So if anyone has a similar type track set up or can point me in the direction of something that might suit please do chip in!. I know its not a massive amount of space so am asking for idea's before i start to draw out on paper a basic track and move some soil!.

Cheers.
My track is 1,2 acres and You can see it here.
It is a minute to drive and has 12 jumps. Biggest one is 25m. I plan to rebuild a few sections more like Supercross. So I will build some more doubles in a row!

Fun project! Layout is 100% dependent on dimensions of that one acre which you don't specify. Perfectly square? Long as narrow? Can't give suggestions with more info.
Thanks, thats the one thing i did not say huh, lol. Here is a pic of what i have to work with. Shouldn't be too hard to design something fun!.
True!. Just being able to use the track both ways will help so it will deff have some way of using the big table both ways for sure.
I have been scratching my head for the last two days thinking how I could possibly add jumps in the middle of my figure-8 track. If I make the landings less steep, would I then have to always ride it in the same direction, haha?
If you put a Table in the middle, like i am thinking to do, you could hit it from two sides, and land onto the other two. Hard to describe really.
we did years ago have a 4 way table and it did work very well for a bit of fun if you knew what you was hitting/landing. We never did have the landings any different from the take offs per Ramp Tramp's good advice, was a bit sharp for the landings but was only for fun!. But when we built the last table top we made the landings really long as it was on a track set up that the public would use, safer.

My track is 1,2 acres and You can see it here.
It is a minute to drive and has 12 jumps. Biggest one is 25m. I plan to rebuild a few sections more like Supercross. So I will build some more doubles in a row!
Hi WW.

Ah yes, i forgot your track!. How lucky to have that on some natural rolling hills and being able to use them in the track build!. Thats a fun looking place you have there for sure.

Do you have a drone shot or Sat image of it please?.

This is what i have to work with :)

MXLand1Acre.png

Going to get down there this week with the Tractor and Discs and get it all turned over. There are some bigger bits of Concrete and stuff laying about that i need to rake up and move, quite a lot of ground prep really as its just been used for a dumping ground for earth/soil for years, so much work ahead just in prep.
But still, i am very grateful and lucky to have been given the use and can not wait to get started!.

wwmotors

Hi WW.

Ah yes, i forgot your track!. How lucky to have that on some natural rolling hills and being able to use them in the track build!. Thats a fun looking place you have there for sure.

Do you have a drone shot or Sat image of it please?.
Not the latest trackbuild, but the there You can see the shape. At the beginning everything was flat. I pushed the dirt together and formed 2 hills, where we go over back and forth. That saves a lot of dirt and You have not to deliver it with trucks. Be aware, that water can flow away and not building paddles! Trackwidth is mainly 2m, on the ladning areas a bit wider!

IMG_1623.JPG

Thanks Philip, I feel honoured to be the first in the new sub!.

OK, had some time today, weather here in the U.K. sucks 99% of the time anyway, but this May has been the wettest on record!, and when it finally stopped raining went down and got started.

As i said above, lots of time needed to remove most of the big lumps of concrete by breaking them up with the sledgehammer first!, then onto random lumps of wood, metal, and rebar!. But all worth it.

Then jump in the Tractor with the discs and get to work, turned out really well and the soil is excellent!, rain stopped play today just as i near finished, but i'll be back down there tomorrow (if not raining again) to remove more lumps of concrete that turned up today and will then go over everything again with the power harrow just to make it spot on.

Then the fun will start!. Few pics from today....

Soil started to turn over well....

20210526_113224.jpg

Just over half way through...

20210526_122117.jpg

And finally done!. (For now).

20210526_131153.jpg

enjoythesilenc

incorporate a tunnel/huge culvert under the tabletop?

Have been back down there the last few days, but nothing much to show really as just still trying to clear all the lumps of Concrete, bricks and crap from the land, hard work with just a wheel barrow and two hands!. Must have had over 30 barrow loads like this...

20210602_164530.jpg

Weather here has been good for a change, bloody hot. We either get it one way or the other!. Its starting to look good now, been over it with the Power harrow too, will go again after some rain to break up the last lumps.

20210602_164416.jpg

OK, so been really busy down the track and the weather has been awesome (too hot!) got my hands on the 16t machine and have been at it!.

Have the Tabletop in!, its about 80ft end to end, so should be good fun. Also, got some berms in too, have yet to decide on a plan for the rest of the track but i'll get there.

Also, after watching numerous different Alta based videos, its made me go and get a GoPro hero9 (nearly went with the Insta360) and a few bits needed to really try and make the most of building this track and also for when i finally start to ride the bike!.

Its been a learning curve for sure!, settings settings and more settings lol, i thought just turn it on and away we go, oh no.... but i'll get it sorted, been doing some timelapse/warp and trying to get as much footage as possible. Playing with the views and fps.

Lots to think about just trying to build the track let alone thinking of the camera and angles, battery, memory card room lol. But it should be fun and i am enjoying it for now. Going to try DaVinci Resolve for editing....

So, thats all for now. Enjoy dirt!.

First soil on....

20210605_133331.jpg

20210605_165616.jpg

Starting to shape it all up....

20210606_175625.jpg

Extended the landing....

20210609_135536.jpg

Thats all for now. :)

Thanks for the likes guys!. (Not sure, but i can't see them anymore on the forum like it used to be shown under the username, seem to have disappeared?).

Anyway....

Been hard at it most days, and here in the U.K. its been hot hot hot, in this heat that was fun. But sun block on and lets do this!.

I have decided on a track layout (it actually was my first attempt at sitting down and drawing it out) so i went out with the tractor and the power harrow and just went round using my design in my hand and drove round using the harrow on tick over to mark it out, went well. I made sure i could turn the tractor full sweep in the corners for when i need to grade it out, and it all flowed well, somehow i managed to add an extra corner in!?...but it works so all good there.

I will update this with a picture of the track layout for you all so its easier to follow what i'm up to and to get an idea of my random piles of dirt/corners.

Next off i found a old can of road marker paint and used that to mark the edge of the harrow marks in the dirt, as my attempt of using the rocks in the dirt for an "edge" was flawed as soon as i got up into the tractor i could not see bugger all as it all blended in haha. So the marker spray was a good idea and helped me when it came to loading the soil on so i could see an "arc" for my corner/berm.

So into the digger and get into position and then load load and load some more, had 35 trailer loads in total from memory. Hard work on your own - as you have to do everything - get up into the digger then load up, out the machine into the Tractor, tow the load onto the track, tip, back to load and repeat....but is soooo worth it when you see it start to come together!.

20210606_180018.jpg

I started to load it on for the corners/berms and could see the spray easy so that went ok, lots of soil....lots!.

20210612_190402.jpg
20210612_190408.jpg
20210612_190405.jpg

Then, a few days later i started to shape up the dirt into something like a berm....I did not want to take the big 16t machine onto the track again, its a little too much for what i needed, & after i used it for the big table top it just destroys the ground and compacts everything!. So, yes i could have made better time but she's just too big so onto my trusty little 1.5t Kubota that i have had for ever, i love this little machine and being the Alpha version it has a bigger pump and longer arm reach over a stock version, so I just got on with it and did the best i could, i am really happy with the results of hours and hours of work.

Started off on the first corner ....

20210612_190357.jpg

Worked through them all in the end....

20210614_200454.jpg

I did not take any of the other end, not sure why?, but i got them all shaped up both sides and all done.

I have been on the look out for a rake/riddle bucket for my Kubota, this will help me no end in removing most of the stone and crap from the actual track circuit, if i can't find one it will be a hand rake and both hands!.

Also, been filming as much as i can, how on earth these youtubed people manage to do what they do i dont know, but i am getting used to filming and angles and all that stuff, so not me!. But i am going to sit down in the next few days (as we have forecast alot of rain here) and have a go learning this DaVinci program and start going through all i have and try to get something out!.

So, thats all for now. I have been down there until dark most nights and last night i did finish it off as the heavy rain has been forecast and i wanted it done.

Oh, had a lucky one here, poor old trailer had enough and just as i turned round to reverse park up in my yard for the night, the wheel fell off!...right there...so glad it happened right there and not on the way back home as the axle bolts were dug right into the ground and would have been a real pain in the ass in the tarmac roads. Lucky!.

20210616_200707.jpg

20210616_200714.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read and showing interest in my project. Danny #76.