ALTA SM NOT CHARGING,NO ERROR CODE, JUST SAYS"AC GROUND NOT DETECTED"

B. FRANK

yes I've got a Norton. 1975 850 commando, black and gold. bought it brand new. I also have a 2014 Honda vtx 1300 fury, 2014 Honda cb1000r, 1998 Honda vtr1000f super hawk, 2016 Suzuki 750 kingquad, 2018 Ktm 690 duke,1995 Kawasaki klx650r ,2016ktm 350excf, 2018 beta 300 xtrainer, 2006 gasgas txt300pro(trials),1988 Honda trx250r(350cc pv kit), 2 2017 Yamaha tw200's, a mini bike and a 80cc motorized Schwinn stingray W/ 3 speed hub and my alta sm, oh and a hovercraft too! looking to win the whoever dies with the most toys thing, just not yet, having too much fun!

HOVERCRAFT.jpg

COASTAL PRO 2.jpg

Oded

Yep, bike is good to go. Had a little firmware drama but it’s all updated and healthy now. Put some miles on it and I must say, the regen in map 4 is CRAZY on the SM!

This is why I use SM maps on my EX.
The difference between maps 1-4 on the SM is so much more pronounced than on the off road versions. It's great.

paddockclub

I'm having the same "ground not detected" issue. Just happened today. I've been trying different extensions and outlets to no avail. I did hear a pop when I plugged it in which makes me wonder if it's the fuse. I'm looking forward to pulling the charger out. I may try Hudson Valley Motorcycles, where I bought the bike, first. See if they have thoughts on the matter.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I'm having the same "ground not detected" issue. Just happened today. I've been trying different extensions and outlets to no avail. I did hear a pop when I plugged it in which makes me wonder if it's the fuse. I'm looking forward to pulling the charger out. I may try Hudson Valley Motorcycles, where I bought the bike, first. See if they have thoughts on the matter.

So far the only "smoking gun" has been related to the relay board/control board..."looking forward to pulling the charger"...enjoy that job.

B. FRANK

paddockclub, I ws lucky enough to have snydes and Rashid510 solve my problem, first they updated my firm ware but alas to no avail then they were able to get a replacement on board charger. I am no programmer or electrical wiz so I just let them do their thing. what a blessing it is to have such smart and helpful people on this forum, maybe someone can guide you through this but I am not that man. it took greater minds than mine. good luck. reach out, there are a bunch of knowledgeable folks on this forum who WILL help you.

paddockclub

Thank you for the advice B. Frank and Rashid510. Would you advise me to do the same and speak to my dealer about updating the firmware, first? B. Frank, I'm as green as you are when it comes to this stuff.

snydes

Staff member
I sincerely doubt HVM would be either willing or capable of updating the firmware at this point unfortunately. Your best bet for firmware updates are from nearby fellow enthusiasts that are setup to do it. Rashid can probably break down your options for what sounds like a carbon copy of what we just went through with B.Frank.

Roadking

New member here. Bought a 2018 Alta SM from a out of business Ducati/Alta dealer after they’re closed new.
Put about 1200 miles last three years without any issues. Alway kept about 50-75% battery power. Rode it regularly.
Today riding home with about 25% and tried to charge it. Display showed “ AC ground not detected”. Same issue I read on this forum from member B. Frank who had same issue two years ago. Wondering any member in my area has knowledge to update firmware and replace charger as B. Frank did with help from fellow members. I’m in Seattle area. Redmond to be exact. Any help on this issue will be appreciated. Meanwhile trying to source a charge somehow.

B. FRANK

my other option was to have the charging done off board via alta charger, luckily they found me a onboard charger, good luck, this forum seems to be all about the stark Varg and people selling their Altas to get a Varg. someone helpful will find you.

standbyu

New member here. Bought a 2018 Alta SM from a out of business Ducati/Alta dealer after they’re closed new.
Put about 1200 miles last three years without any issues. Alway kept about 50-75% battery power. Rode it regularly.
Today riding home with about 25% and tried to charge it. Display showed “ AC ground not detected”. Same issue I read on this forum from member B. Frank who had same issue two years ago. Wondering any member in my area has knowledge to update firmware and replace charger as B. Frank did with help from fellow members. I’m in Seattle area. Redmond to be exact. Any help on this issue will be appreciated. Meanwhile trying to source a charge somehow.
I have multi tool but am in Portland. Hopefully you can find someone closer.

Top Bottom