ALTA SM NOT CHARGING,NO ERROR CODE, JUST SAYS"AC GROUND NOT DETECTED"

B. FRANK

yes sir factory alta warp 9 sm wheels. I'm not positive but I was told that the Sm's triple tree is wider than the ex or mx so I don't think that sm wheels would work no matter which front end you went with. I would check with rashid510 to be absolutely sure though. good luck, Sm's are a blast on the street.

B. FRANK

just wanted to admit that this charger issue was most likely my own stupid fault. when I bought the bike the dealer said" it's got a smart charger so it won't overcharge the battery so just leave it plugged in and it will always be ready to ride". I've had the bike a little over 2 years and it has 715 miles on it, I figure that's about 20 hrs riding time, so the poor bike has been plugged in for over 2 years!!!! I read on this site about battery storage and was glad I'm too old to be able to kick myself or I would have hurt me bad!

F451

yes sir factory alta warp 9 sm wheels. I'm not positive but I was told that the Sm's triple tree is wider than the ex or mx so I don't think that sm wheels would work no matter which front end you went with. I would check with rashid510 to be absolutely sure though. good luck, Sm's are a blast on the street.
Makes sense, thanks.

B. FRANK

woohoo!!! my sm is up and running thanks to snydes,rashid510 and electrobraap and I will be heading out Sunday to bring her back home. I recently purchased extra sm wheels from liquid performance and since a sm is half dirt bike I'm putting knobbies on the extra wheels. if I like it better as a dirt bike I may switch front ends with my Ktm 350excf or just use the extra alta mx wheels I have (also from lp). being on this site has made me yearn for a dirt alta but this voice in the back of my head keeps telling me" you already own a Norton and how much fun is hunting down parts for that, and they were in business for 60+ years" so now I have a few choices which include waiting to see what the Japanese come up with. on a side note I do believe that not long from now battery rebuilding will become commonplace, since most seem to run the same cells. maybe soon you can bring your battery casings to someone who will replace all the small batteries and rewire them...any entrepreneurs out there pay attention!! you could be the next bill gates or Elon Musk. me , I'm to old and stupid and prefer to pay someone else to do the work while I play. pss. I usually don't let others work on my bikes unless they can do things I can't, these toys can kill you. SM WHEELS.JPG

snydes

Staff member
Yep, bike is good to go. Had a little firmware drama but it’s all updated and healthy now. Put some miles on it and I must say, the regen in map 4 is CRAZY on the SM! Really nice doing a quiet county back road drive this time of year enjoying the fall colors.

On a side note after thinking about it, I think the SM rotor would bolt right up to the dirt 21” front wheel. I think @Philip went the other way and put the small rotor on a SM wheel, so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. I suppose it would have been nice to know this sooner though...

B. FRANK

yes I've got a Norton. 1975 850 commando, black and gold. bought it brand new. I also have a 2014 Honda vtx 1300 fury, 2014 Honda cb1000r, 1998 Honda vtr1000f super hawk, 2016 Suzuki 750 kingquad, 2018 Ktm 690 duke,1995 Kawasaki klx650r ,2016ktm 350excf, 2018 beta 300 xtrainer, 2006 gasgas txt300pro(trials),1988 Honda trx250r(350cc pv kit), 2 2017 Yamaha tw200's, a mini bike and a 80cc motorized Schwinn stingray W/ 3 speed hub and my alta sm, oh and a hovercraft too! looking to win the whoever dies with the most toys thing, just not yet, having too much fun!

HOVERCRAFT.jpg

COASTAL PRO 2.jpg

Oded

Yep, bike is good to go. Had a little firmware drama but it’s all updated and healthy now. Put some miles on it and I must say, the regen in map 4 is CRAZY on the SM!
This is why I use SM maps on my EX.
The difference between maps 1-4 on the SM is so much more pronounced than on the off road versions. It's great.