Alta Reshift MXR at 928MX in Lake Havasu City, AZ

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I need to try a chin mount or a chest protector mount for my GoPro. The under-the-visor mount makes it look like the track is as flat as Iowa. Also, need to review my resolution.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Looks like you have the timing down pretty good, and I see what you mean about the camera mount perspective, definitely didn't show the topography well. Still making me jealous you have the nice weather to ride in!
:ricky:

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Philip, what gearing are you running on both your bikes now?
12/45

Funny, I have only been running Map 2 at this track. If I use Map 4 then I have to manage the rear traction more and watch not to overjump half of these jumps. Sometimes carrying the momentum and keeping it wide open is easier, faster and more fun.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Did you have the 12/45 gearing when i rode your bike at Cahuilla?

I just recently bought a 52 tooth rear, and even the 1 tooth smaller sprocket in the rear the difference in feel of the bike was noticeable. Personally, I'm used to the snap of the stock gearing. In supercross, I think the lower FDR hurt me a little - I would have preferred more snap.

I rode the main track at Pala yesterday and the 12/52 seemed ok. On faster tracks i can see the advantage of sliding the power curve into the higher mph range.

I have a 13 and 14 tooth front sprocket i'd like to try on faster tracks. Stock FDR is 4.42. 13/52 will leave me with a 4.0 final drive. I think that may be the sweet spot for faster track. I think a 14/52 setup for motocross will be too low of a FDR, although it matches my race number :D (3.71)

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Did you have the 12/45 gearing when i rode your bike at Cahuilla?
Yes.

For low-speed tracks with a lot of available traction the stock gearing would of course be better. With the stock gearing, grabbing a handful of throttle at low speeds is a equivalent of revving up an IC engine and dumping the clutch. If the track requires such explosive power, then yes, I would run the stock gearing.

For fast or slippery tracks a smooth delivery and a more potent top end would be better.