Alta Range: MX > EX > EXR

Speedkills

Yesterday Butch, Eric, and I conducted a highly scientific test of the range of our Alta's. We rode the same trails, at pretty much the same pace, for the same distance. When we were done I had just under 1/4 charge left on my EXR, Eric had just over 1/4 charge on his EX, and Butch had half of his battery left.

I was just about to submit this research for publication when Butch mentioned, what about the 100lb weight difference between us? Now excuse me while I put this cake down and see if I can scrounge up some titanium bolts :D

Speedkills

I was in map 1 the whole ride trying to conserve energy as this was my first real off-road ride in over a year. Ended up sitting over 70% of the time, not my usual style but got me through to the end.

snydes

Staff member
I have stock gearing, not sure about the other guys. You could try to find some correlation between our mpw(mile/watt, is that a thing?) and the diameter of our sprockets but sadly I think you would find a stronger correlation to the diameter of our waists.
:ROFLMAO::LOL:

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Just a thought... waist size aside.

The bike is most efficient when the motor is spinning between 6000 and 8000 rpms, which equates to roughly 30-40mph on the MX/MXR.

Holy 14T - Sweet Spot!

Since the EX/EXR is geared with a smaller final drive ratio, this means that the bike is traveling faster at a 6000-8000rpm motor speed. Since you EX/EXR guys are probably averaging much lower mph over your trail or single track rides, you're probably further away from the max efficiency range. For motocross, 30-40mph is a pretty good average.

Rob41

Chief Engineer
I like the way you think TC. Aside from dreaming about more range from a bigger battery pack, this looks to be a way to increase usable range just by selecting the right ratio for the type of riding. I'll "sticky" this post in my head for sure!

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
Just a thought... waist size aside.

The bike is most efficient when the motor is spinning between 6000 and 8000 rpms, which equates to roughly 30-40mph on the MX/MXR.

Holy 14T - Sweet Spot!

Since the EX/EXR is geared with a smaller final drive ratio, this means that the bike is traveling faster at a 6000-8000rpm motor speed. Since you EX/EXR guys are probably averaging much lower mph over your trail or single track rides, you're probably further away from the max efficiency range. For motocross, 30-40mph is a pretty good average.
Are you suggesting, if I were to move from my stock 13F to a 12F (move my working RPM closer to the most efficient range)...
Should give me:
- more torque in all maps (less traction :p)
- lower top speed
- AND better battery life? (more efficient RPM range)

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Are you suggesting, if I were to move from my stock 13F to a 12F (move my working RPM closer to the most efficient range)...
Should give me:
- more torque in all maps (less traction :p)
- lower top speed
- AND better battery life? (more efficient RPM range)

Essentially, yes. Run a 12F or 11F and use map 2 exclusively. Would probably be awesome for tight single track and woods riding!

Butch

Poseur
I pretty much always ride in Map 3. Stock gearing, but I put an 18 inch wheel on it.
My BARF post from a couple days ago:

Hollister yesterday, Eric, SpeedKills and me, three (3) Altas, an EX, MXR and an MX. We turned heads in our silence.

Range is always the question. Eric quit at about two hours for other responsibilities, and I think he was in blinky warning low battery mode.

SpeedKills and I went out again until he was at no indicated charge left. He weighs 95 pounds more than me. I still had an indicated quarter charge left. 34.6 miles, 2.4 hours.

Fun times.

p0wn

I regularly get just about 5-10% more range and (less) charge time on my ex compared to my buddy's mx. I think there's just differences in the overall quality of the batteries they use. A bunch of 18650 batteries in there. Also riding style makes a big difference. Y'all probably roosting each other and butch is over there eating chimichangas on the side of the trail.

SuburbanDad

I regularly get just about 5-10% more range and (less) charge time on my ex compared to my buddy's mx. I think there's just differences in the overall quality of the batteries they use. A bunch of 18650 batteries in there. Also riding style makes a big difference. Y'all probably roosting each other and butch is over there eating chimichangas on the side of the trail.

Data point - that is a :D2017mx vs 2018ex. P0wn is probably right about battery chemistry difference, plus I see some weird firmware behavior regarding battery level reported while charging.

Bigger factor is that he is slow tho 😂