Alta Plastic Kit

Jon

Does anyone have any shrouds/fenders they could spare for a week or two? Having a hard time nailing down a quote based on images.

CAD or 3D scans would help, but I haven't gotten quite that far yet.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
Does anyone have any shrouds/fenders they could spare for a week or two? Having a hard time nailing down a quote based on images.

CAD or 3D scans would help, but I haven't gotten quite that far yet.
I have a full set of everything that I was planning on having 3d scanned.

Need at least another week or two for the back to heal some more first. Still can barely lift a carton of Milk 😢

privateer703

AOF Addict
I've been working on this for a while now so I've been quiet about it, but I'm pretty confident this will work out. I'm very close to be able to sell some resin and fiberglass copies of plastics. Here is a pic of the left shroud mold before pouring the rubber. I should have the left shroud working in a week. The right side shroud will take another two weeks. I still need new undamaged number plates and a rear fender in order two make the master mold. Anyone who has one I will make some kind of deal, just pm me.

20190622_111827.jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I would love to see these knee-friendly shrouds mass-produced.

IMG_20190311_221642_866.jpg
Source: What might have been

Could anyone who knows John McInnis please talk him into loaning his prototype shrouds to @privateer703 to make molds?

@Judaslefourbe @Rashid510

I can see people upgrading their shrouds to these Version 2.0 shrouds and selling their old ones, in case someone needs the original stock shrouds. We will then have a large supply of shrouds of both kinds, especially considering that shrouds don't break very often.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I would love to see these knee-friendly shrouds mass-produced.

View attachment 3306
Source: What might have been

Could anyone who knows John McInnis please talk him into loaning his prototype shrouds to @privateer703 to make molds?

@Judaslefourbe @Rashid510

I can see people upgrading their shrouds to these Version 2.0 shrouds and selling their old ones, in case someone needs the original stock shrouds. We will then have a large supply of shrouds of all kinds, especially considering that shrouds don't break very often.
Yes! Those!

snydes

Staff member
I've been working on this for a while now so I've been quiet about it, but I'm pretty confident this will work out. I'm very close to be able to sell some resin and fiberglass copies of plastics. Here is a pic of the left shroud mold before pouring the rubber. I should have the left shroud working in a week. The right side shroud will take another two weeks. I still need new undamaged number plates and a rear fender in order two make the master mold. Anyone who has one I will make some kind of deal, just pm me.

View attachment 3305

Wow! Awesome! It’s impressive the level of effort our group has put into developing solutions to the problems we face with our orphaned motorcycles. Well done!

Dirt-E

Any replacements at this point would be welcome. But if they were more of the solid sided I'm sure most of us would be happy to save our knees from the ridges on the originals (not knocking the looks, just saying it can make for pretty uncomfortable landings if you botch it!)

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
Any replacements at this point would be welcome. But if they were more of the solid sided I'm sure most of us would be happy to save our knees from the ridges on the originals (not knocking the looks, just saying it can make for pretty uncomfortable landings if you botch it!)
I just had a local company quote on getting the subframe and rear fender laser scanned so we would have CAD models of the parts. His quote was $460 USD for the raw scan data, which I could then make into proper CAD models myself. The front shroud and number plates would be a little cheaper, maybe $175 USD each.

Maybe if we send CAD models to every Chinese company we can for quoting, maybe we will get lucky and they will just steal the design and start selling them on Aliexpress 😂

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I just had a local company quote on getting the subframe and rear fender laser scanned so we would have CAD models of the parts. His quote was $460 USD for the raw scan data, which I could then make into proper CAD models myself. The front shroud and number plates would be a little cheaper, maybe $175 USD each.

Maybe if we send CAD models to every Chinese company we can for quoting, maybe we will get lucky and they will just steal the design and start selling them on Aliexpress 😂
I am too busy this weekend to write public service announcements, but our soon-to-be-announced sponsor will have Alta subframes and other plastic for sale. No need to produce OEM plastic any time soon. But I like the scanning into CAD idea. This is what should be scanned:
Alta Plastic Kit

F451

I am too busy this weekend to write public service announcements, but our soon-to-be-announced sponsor will have Alta subframes and other plastic for sale. No need to produce OEM plastic any time soon. But I like the scanning into CAD idea. This is what should be scanned:
Alta Plastic Kit

Wow! Really?! Holy cow that is huge. And knee friendly shrouds, yes! Thanks for the heads up (double checking that it is not April 1st).