Alta Plastic Kit

wwmotors

Wasn't Acerbis going to make some for us?
I already wrote back and forth with Acerbis. They said: "We are not owning the forms, so we are not allowed to produce ALTA parts without permit of the owner"! So who is the owner in the moment? I was not able to figure out!

About price: The price is not important. What do you do, when you crash the back platsic frame? You will need one, otherwise You cant ride any more. So I do not care fort the price, but availlability! I would take minimum 3 sets!

aremean79

I have another idea that might just work (I am not sure if anyone has put it out there before);
Why dont someone create a new aluminum subframe that follows the shape of an existing MX bike that would take that bike's rear section (KTM, YAMAHA etc) which have the 4 mounting points of the Alta. That way, we can now mount the new subframe onto our Alta Redshift. This solves the issue of the rear subframe and all the rear plastics as well.

aremean79

And of cos, we will have to come up with a matching seat pan which will match the front part (tank) of the Alta. Better yet, perhaps the choice, of which rear to use, could be made with a consideration of which seat will match the Alta (tank) the best without the need for a new seat pan.

F451

I have another idea that might just work (I am not sure if anyone has put it out there before);
Why dont someone create a new aluminum subframe that follows the shape of an existing MX bike that would take that bike's rear section (KTM, YAMAHA etc) which have the 4 mounting points of the Alta. That way, we can now mount the new subframe onto our Alta Redshift. This solves the issue of the rear subframe and all the rear plastics as well.

I’ve been thinking about this since I bought my MXR. I’m thinking this will eventually have to happen if our batteries, motors, circuit boards, etc prove durable over the years (and I have no reason to believe they won’t be).

I haven’t studied the structure of the bike yet, but I’m guessing it’s just a matter of figuring out where to weld on the mounting tabs for the sub frame to be bolted to. Seat attachment might have to be figured out, but I think it’s all doable.

If I ever have to do this I would stick with as much KTM oem parts as possible since so much of the bike uses KTM parts already.

F451

The whole subframe design has had me stumped since I started looking into Altas, among a number of other design decisions (footpeg brackets, kickstand, weird “mud shelf” inner rear fender, etc), can’t understand why they didn’t go with the standard proven design. Once they had the bike/company established might have been a better time to experiment. But hindsight is 20/20. And no disrespect to the Alta crew, I think the bike is amazing.

101stunt

I already wrote back and forth with Acerbis. They said: "We are not owning the forms, so we are not allowed to produce ALTA parts without permit of the owner"! So who is the owner in the moment? I was not able to figure out!

About price: The price is not important. What do you do, when you crash the back platsic frame? You will need one, otherwise You cant ride any more. So I do not care fort the price, but availlability! I would take minimum 3 sets!

So they would create them as long as they have the ok\approval? Would he care to help us out?

Scott

I was thinking about that too. I was looking into using Honda parts because the dual exhaust bikes will have more symmetrical number plates than the one sided exhaust models.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I'm planning on making a carbon fiber sub-frame and was going to design it to bolt on some common fender/number plates. I found that the 2006 KTM 250 SX made the number plates and fender as one piece. Does anyone know a bike that did the same with dual exhaust? It would be nice if the number plates were symmetric, but if not I would still rather use the one piece ktm as opposed to getting 3 pieces to bolt to the sub-frame. It means making a custom seat, but that's cake after making the custom sub-frame.
Then you can all fight to the death for my original sub-frame and plastics.

snydes

Staff member
I think it’s reasonable to assume a subframe could be fabricated to do this, and at worst if some sort of custom seat pan had to be created to make it all work that’s not terrible either.

Kirk

Does anyone know what it would cost to have new tooling made? We could all split the tooling/mold costs then have any injection molder make them for us. I’m sure there are companies that would do short runs.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Does anyone know what it would cost to have new tooling made? We could all split the tooling/mold costs then have any injection molder make them for us. I’m sure there are companies that would do short runs.
Tooling alone would be in the several hundreds of thousands of dollars...

Jon

Tooling alone would be in the several hundreds of thousands of dollars...

If you tool it up in the states, yes it would.

If it was sourced overseas, a low cavity count, class 5 prototype mold (500-1000 parts) would be well under 10k. Could probably do the whole plastics set for 20k? Just a shot in the dark.

And not including the sub frame. That might be more complicated/costly.

Kirk

If you tool it up in the states, yes it would.

If it was sourced overseas, a low cavity count, class 5 prototype mold (500-1000 parts) would be well under 10k. Could probably do the whole plastics set for 20k? Just a shot in the dark.

And not including the sub frame. That might be more complicated/costly.

Let's look into this.....I'd be willing to help organize it. Do you know anyone that does any molding overseas? If we got a donor set of plastics from someone in order to have them put into CAD we could send to an overseas company for quoting.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Let's look into this.....I'd be willing to help organize it. Do you know anyone that does any molding overseas? If we got a donor set of plastics from someone in order to have them put into CAD we could send to an overseas company for quoting.

Zero Motorcycles plastic molding supplier could be an option but there MOQs (Minimum Order Qty.) are big. Donor plastics can be acquired.

Jon

I know a few places. I'll reach out this weekend and DM you if anyone is interested in this kind of project. It's Saturday morning in China, so might need to wait.