*ALTA OWNERS* How has parts/support been?

Metzger

Really wanting to pull the trigger on either a used Alta, or possibly a 2020 KTM E-XC. Obviously my biggest concern with the Alta, is breaking something that I cant replace, and essentially having an $8,000 paper weight. How has the parts replacement been for you guys?

I recently moved onto 5 acres and really wanting an E bike so I can rip around whenever without worry of annoying neighbors etc.......

Metzger

With such a niche hardcore following, such as this forum, I’m thinking owners should be able to figure most all issues one could encounter.

F451

Parts support has been surprisingly good. And the knowledge and willingness to help out here is amazing. I bought my MXR after Alta went out of business and I love it. I do have a little worry about a catastrophic failure, but I haven't heard of any here, and my bike has needed nothing, other then some other aftermarket add-ons I put on it.

I've been watching the 2020 KTM Freeride reviews as I would like a bike with factory support, but its really a 3/4 sized bike, does not have the performance and range of the Alta, and has no faster charger option. And I think the KTM charger is 240v only (would have to double check on that). I do think the Freeride is a great bike even with those caveats.

Metzger

Yeah the smaller size of the KTM really turns me off due to my 6ft5 225lbs frame. I’m worried it would just be too small.
Is the Altas battery life generally longer/better than the KTM?

F451

Yeah the smaller size of the KTM really turns me off due to my 6ft5 225lbs frame. I’m worried it would just be too small.
Is the Altas battery life generally longer/better than the KTM?

I'm about 215, 6'5", so feel your pain. One of the nice things about the Alta besides that it is full sized, is that I find it is easier stay standing up on it since I don't have to shift or clutch. I always have trouble on ICE bikes with body positioning while shifting, even with all the usual tall guy mods.

I have, I think they are, 1.25" bar risers, no mods to wires or cables. Tall seat. Haven't installed low pegs yet as the Alta pegs are kind of low already IMO.

Tall Seat: Alta (2017-19) Red Shift MX/EX/SM/EXR *TALL OEM* Race 2.0

I believe the range/battery life is longer on the Atla, but I don't know that for a fact. I seem to recall guys getting 20-30 miles of single track on the Alta depending on all the usual factors. I usually do 1/2 day rides of single track, 15-20 miles on a friends property, its like an intense workout, lots of charge left.

I have milked 40 miles out of my Alta on dual sort type rides, 20-45 mph, cruising, came back with zero charge.

My one mountain ride up in Cle Elem I did 26 miles, mellow pace, 30-40 degrees out, could have probably milked it to 30.

Somebody on another forum said they were going to do an an Alta, Freeride, Sur Ron comparison video soon. I will post that if it comes out.

F451

I also bought a B&S Q6500 240v generator and an Alta Quick Charger (which has a 240v plug, but can run on 110v with an adapter) with the idea that when I go out in the woods, I would do a 20-30 mile loop in the morning, come back for lunch, throw the bike on the rapid charger powered by the generator. Charge up for 45 mins - 1 hr, then go out for an afternoon loop. Have not done this yet, but this setup is ready to go.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
With such a niche hardcore following, such as this forum, I’m thinking owners should be able to figure most all issues one could encounter.

Overall there a solid base of spare parts from Liquid Performance who got most of the big items (Suspension, rims, plastics, handlebars). The electronics are pretty robust. Even battery issues have been taken care of. Since @Judaslefourbe likes to poke bears :)) there also a decent group of former Alta employees as well.

Metzger

Oh man, ya’ll are getting me pretty riled up to get one of these ASAP!
So which model should I be looking for or does it matter? I believe there is the EX, EXR, MX and MXR 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I’d be riding single track no super cross...
Anyone know some buddy currently selling 🤗

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Also think of it this way: I priced a new 2020 KTM E-XC down in Sunnyvale, CA, a few months ago. It was going to be $12.5k out the door, with tax, license, fees, ad nauseum! That was without a second $3k battery, which you couldn't even order yet. (I haven't seen any used 2020 ones yet, and even the 2017 bike is pretty damned rare.) It also didn't include any upgrade to the KTM because is has wimpy suspension off of an 85cc bike, small brakes, etc.

Instead of buying the KTM E-XC for my son, I tracked down a 2017 Alta MX up in Oregon for $6k. (I actually sold my son's Sur-Ron for close to $4k, so I really only spent another $2k out of my pocket for the Alta! Win! Win!)

So there you go: You could literally buy an Alta, and then buy a spare Alta, for the price of the KTM! And each bike would actually be superior in almost every way to the KTM, except for that pesky factory support thing. Even if you bricked one of the Altas, you'd have a backup. Then you could either fix the first Alta (with the splendid help of the fine folks here at the AOF), or sell it for parts to those same outstanding peeps, and you'd still make most of your money back. In the meantime, you could have TWO cool electric Alta bikes, and ride with your family or buddies instead of being stuck in your own head with worries of What-If-It-Breaks.

In most cases, they don't break. If they do, we can almost always fix it. Most parts are common with KTM and other brands.

I will leave you with another thought. Riding the Alta is the most fun I've ever had on a dirt bike. Simple. Reliable. Don't worry about shifting, clutch, oil changes, maintenance, or noise. Turn it on and go. Just point and shoot. Enjoy the ride, not the process to get ready to ride. Don't worry about if you are in the right gear, or stalling the bike or feathering the clutch. It's just throttle control and body control. Amazingly liberating.

Metzger

I 100% agree with you!!!! I just need to find one near me. A dealer about an hour from me has a 2018 MX, but wants $10k for it. Unfortunately that’s out of my budget range.🙁

5969BDA6-08F3-42F4-A1B0-AAC30E402616.png

snydes

Staff member
Oh man, ya’ll are getting me pretty riled up to get one of these ASAP!
So which model should I be looking for or does it matter? I believe there is the EX, EXR, MX and MXR 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I’d be riding single track no super cross...
Anyone know some buddy currently selling 🤗

Welcome the forum! There has been a lot of great advise given already, my advise would be don't rush into anything before educating yourself a bit. What I can tell you is as of this time, there has not been a bike we haven't been able to collectively fix. One of our members in Israel even had a failure that we were able to work our way through and locate the parts needed to make the repair.

As far as models, EX and EXR's are few and far between, and seem to be in the most demand as they are truly are a no compromise real dirt bike with a licence plate. 2017 MX's are the best bang for the buck, MXR's seem to be more plentiful but all are still bringing respectable money all things considered. Every model has certain pros and cons which I won't go into here, but they are all great bikes.

Good luck in your search!

Metzger

Welcome the forum! There has been a lot of great advise given already, my advise would be don't rush into anything before educating yourself a bit. What I can tell you is as of this time, there has not been a bike we haven't been able to collectively fix. One of our members in Israel even had a failure that we were able to work our way through and locate the parts needed to make the repair.

As far as models, EX and EXR's are few and far between, and seem to be in the most demand as they are truly are a no compromise real dirt bike with a licence plate. 2017 MX's are the best bang for the buck, MXR's seem to be more plentiful but all are still bringing respectable money all things considered. Every model has certain pros and cons which I won't go into here, but they are all great bikes.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks!!! I’ll keep reading away and seeing which one will fit my needs/style of riding best. Did I read something about a particular battery I should be looking for? Like there’s 2 models....

snydes

Staff member
Thanks!!! I’ll keep reading away and seeing which one will fit my needs/style of riding best. Did I read something about a particular battery I should be looking for? Like there’s 2 models....

MX/EX/SM use one type (A pack), MXR/EXR use another (R pack). R packs have more power in map 4 only. There is some that believe A packs can squeak out a little better range. There are spare batteries floating around for A pack bikes, none for R’s.

F451

I would buy the nicest one you can find in your price range. I don't think the differences between the models is large enough to warrant waiting around for one model or the other. Unless of course you have your heart set on one model and you're in no rush.

I've been very happy with my '18 MXR but I'm pretty sure I would have been just as happy with an EX, EXR, or MX. My short test ride on an MX sold me and I don't feel my MXR feels significantly different from that MX.

Metzger

Yeah, I don’t think an exact model will really matter to me, I’m not a very picky person in general. I’ll probably buy the first one that pops up. I’m sort of tempted on the brand new one an hour south of me. But having a really hard time wrapping my head around the $12,000 out the door price tag

evh1

Take the plunge! You've talked yourself all around it and it's going to be the right decision. This earlier quote sez it all for me and I'm lucky enough to have found 2 affordable Altas...this is with 50 plus years on ICE bikes, mind you. The Alta is that good and exciting.
"So there you go: You could literally buy an Alta, and then buy a spare Alta, for the price of the KTM! And each bike would actually be superior in almost every way to the KTM, except for that pesky factory support thing. Even if you bricked one of the Altas, you'd have a backup. Then you could either fix the first Alta (with the splendid help of the fine folks here at the AOF), or sell it for parts to those same outstanding peeps, and you'd still make most of your money back. In the meantime, you could have TWO cool electric Alta bikes, and ride with your family or buddies instead of being stuck in your own head with worries of What-If-It-Breaks."
My daughter who never really showed much interest in dirt bikes now rides with me on an Alta regularly and gets excited about it. My sons who all race regularly ride the Altas and comment about their fun factor!