Alta Nope

F451

Trying to connect trails on my 2018 MXR via an old trail section. A 270 lb dirt bike on soft, low traction, lots of holes ground is hard work. And I did actually try to limit tire spin, not easy to do at times. Classic dangling foot dab into the air around the 10 second mark. "Where's the gound?! Well I guess I'm going down." Lol.

F451

You need to drop the Alta driveline into this:
Christini AWD frame kit

Lol, not a fan of the Christini setup (weight, complexity, quirky handling) but I can see the attraction.

Staying out of terrain that is not suited to 270 lb dirt bikes of any engine type is probably a better idea for me. Lopping off 20-40 lbs of the weight of the bike would help too. My old 205 lb 125 smoker would have been a handful too, but a lot easier to tug around when it did get stuck.

When I entered that little section, I was trying to ride an old neglected trail and thought if I reached the tree line the trail would be clear enough to ride back onto the more established trails, but realized I was just burning precious energy and getting myself in deeper.

It was a good exercise in what the bike can and cannot do well though.

F451

Looks like you're out in the wilderness trying to make your own trails lol.

Definitely not. You can see the old trail in the vid. As I mentioned above "I was trying to ride an old neglected trail".

I think it might be fair to say I used poor judgement by trying to ride an old neglected trail and in the process ended up taking some go arounds due to windfall, etc., which is a big no-no up here. A better approach would have been to not try the trail at all, or to put in the time to reclaim the trail properly by putting in the work to clear it, going through the proper channels etc.

The authorities and the off-road community up here take off-trail riding and taking "go arounds" very seriously, so I just want to be clear that is not what I was trying to do.

And yes I realize you guys are posting lighthearted comments, but I don't want there to be any confusion on what I was doing out there.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Sorry, i wasn't implying you were breaking any rules of the land. Was just poking fun after watching your video ;)

F451

Sorry, i wasn't implying you were breaking any rules of the land. Was just poking fun after watching your video ;)

No worries, I got it, just felt the need to put it out there as things can be so easily misconstrued especially by people who are anti-orv.

And poking fun, yes, please do, that's why I posted it, poking fun at myself for getting my ass kicked when I really should have known better then to try that neglected trail on a full sized dirt bike. I am going to be more careful about go arounds though. First its one, then its two, then you're potentially making a mess out in the woods which a lot of people don't like. Never mind that they regularly clear cut out here and its makes un Godly messes, but that's another discussion all together.

Judaslefourbe

Classic dangling foot dab into the air around the 10 second mark. "Where's the gound?! Well I guess I'm going down." Lol.
That reminds me my first time back at work after breaking my legs in tiny pieces test-riding a new firmware (accident unrelated to the the FW).
We had put together the first EX bike and we needed a picture sent to the DMV (regulations, you know...).
As we all know, the kickstand is too damn long on that thing and I almost broke my leg again. The first day back. The first hour.
I think I would have bankrupted the company right there and then if I had fallen again...

evh1

GO Fiddy-Nine! I am also 59 and ride my Alta through the woods here in Bama with no trail quite often using it to scout for deer n turkey. I tried to cross a clear cut one time and felt your pain! At our age, we should know better, but the Alta makes you do stuff...!
Easing around in the typical woods is easy - riding at a walking pace+ is easy with the instant torque of E bike.