Alta MXR at Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Utah

snydes

Staff member
Had an interesting trip out west recently. I always wanted to ride on sand dunes and we needed to visit some family out west, so we loaded up the RV and chased the sun. My wife picked the Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park as the sand dune destination and our first stop of the trip.

Knowing the Alta would do exceptionally bad in the sand as far as range, I brought with my CRF450X to use as my primary bike. I couldn't not bring with the MXR though and try it, after all, it had to be awesome in the sand for at least a little bit, right?

The dunes did not disappoint, probably the most fun I had on a dirt bike. I ran sand knobbies on both bikes instead of full paddles, if doing it again I would definitely go full paddle. The Alta lasted about as long as I had expected, 20 minutes :eek:, but it was the best 20 minute rides of the day! You can not ride slow in the sand, the key is to keep the speed up and moving or you will burn more gasoline or electrons starting and stopping. The Alta was awesome, no time lost shifting, and where my 450x seemed to be tapped out of power, the MXR just pulled and pulled. It was magic!

Unfortunately my riding was cut short. Only two days into riding and about an hour after having a conversation with the park ranger on how deceptive the dunes can be at certain times of the day, the dunes got me just the same. The ranger informed me during our talk that even after 14 years of working at the park, he himself was recently caught off guard by a "witches eye" and broke multiple ribs in an ATV crash. My wife an I even had a "ride briefing" before the ride. Sometimes you just can't help but screw up I guess.

Anyhow, where I thought I was going up over the crest of one dune transitioning into another line I thought I had already rode, I ended up sending it off about a 25' dune and flat landing my pig heavy 450x in about the least sandiest most solid area one could find in the whole place. Picking myself off the ground after impact I could feel my right collarbone was really broken. I could feel the bone poking up and I had to feel to see if it was wet as I feared it might have broken the skin. Fortunately it didn't and by this time the wife had found me. Pain had not totally set in yet and my wife wanted to get me out of there before it did. I managed to get myself back on the bike and place my right hand on the throttle and I slowly dug myself back to the RV. It was not an easy ride back to say the least!

The closest hospital in Kanab was only about 20 minutes or so from the dunes, they x-rayed and braced me up. The people there were fantastic. Probably the best hospital service of my entire life. The doctor confirmed that it would need plated and he made all the calls and had me scheduled for surgery the following day at a larger hospital in St. George. I thought to myself "great, pro motocrossers race after about two weeks after having their collarbones plated... maybe I could at least ride after a week or so?". After a rough night of attempted sleep we got an early start on the 2 hour drive to St. George. We got there early and they took me in right away, again, better service than I ever got back east. By noon I was on my way out. The surgeon had informed my wife that my scapula was also broken and I had what was known as a "floating shoulder" and that it would not have healed properly without surgically stabilizing one or the other, so it would seem that I would be out of commission for awhile. So much for riding anytime soon.

We salvaged to trip and ended up doing things we wouldn't have done otherwise, southern Utah is fantastic, coming from a life on the east coast the lack of humidity was pure bliss compared to one of the worst years I can remember as far as rain and humidity back east. We did some parks in Utah and headed north to Yellowstone instead. Million dollar views everywhere. My conclusion is "West is best", we are now looking to potentially relocate and are currently looking into the details.

At any rate, here is a 6 minute clip from one of my Alta rides. It's a 360 degree VR video which is fairly new and doesn't play on all browsers, so if it looks psychedelic, it's not displaying properly in your browser.

And here is the result of all that fun...
IMG_E5925.JPG

Scott

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you got fixed up right away. Your orthopedist was correct about stabilizing the shoulder by fixing one or the other. Hopefully your scapula will mend correctly. If you do have issues with the scapula this is the guy you want on the job:
Peter Cole, MD, FAOA
Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery

Here is his website: Scapula Institute |

Here's to healing quickly.

Fod

Injuries are part of the game some times. Hope you find something to keep you occupied till back on the bike.

So where in the west are you thinking about moving to? Utah is fantastic....my in laws live near park city, and I have enjoyed visiting st. George, lake Powell, and moab.

snydes

Staff member
Injuries are part of the game some times. Hope you find something to keep you occupied till back on the bike.

So where in the west are you thinking about moving to? Utah is fantastic....my in laws live near park city, and I have enjoyed visiting st. George, lake Powell, and moab.

Utah was incredible. I really wanted to go to lake Powell, a guy showed me some pictures from jet skiing their in the canyons and it looked unbelievable. We did Zion and Bryce Canyon while we were there too. Just gorgeous. It was in the 80’s during the day and I was totally comfortable just being in the shade. That doesn’t work in Pennsylvania, too humid.

Not sure yet on location, I’m seeking advice from anyone with experience. I loved the country around Kanab and Cedar City Utah, Wyoming was incredible but ultimately I think that it would be way too much winter for me and my wife. Colorado seems like a good choice with (from what I understand to be) a fairly low property tax rate and plety of public land. Could also position ourselves within reason to that southwestern corner and be in reasonable reach of that fantastic area of Utah. We are also considering buying some land and sitting on it awhile as I’m told many Californians are choosing to retire in some of those areas which is driving up the cost of properties.

Anyone with experience living in or around those areas please chime in! I’m back in Pennsylvania and it’s still raining every other day, humid and dreary. That has been the story ALL year. Another year like this and I’ll be ready to call the auctioneer.

Fod

Not gonna lie....jet skiing the Colorado river with my wife in those canyons is one of the highlights of my life! I had a roomate from PA years ago that wanted to move back after his career was over but ended up moving to CO instead. He is an avid mountain biker.

snydes

Staff member
Not gonna lie....jet skiing the Colorado river with my wife in those canyons is one of the highlights of my life! I had a roomate from PA years ago that wanted to move back after his career was over but ended up moving to CO instead. He is an avid mountain biker.

I've decided there is too much great stuff in the west to not be closer to it. Looking at south east Colorado at the moment. Lots of BLM land and some decently priced lots.

metallic88

I’m told many Californians are choosing to retire in some of those areas which is driving up the cost of properties.

this is so true for st george, that and theyre bringing in all their endangered species to shut down all the riding areas.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Boulder, CO has an amazing weather all year round, and many things to do. The real estate prices are crazy because lots of Californians keep moving there.