Withdrawn Alta MultiTool laptop - Back by popular demand!

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
** UPDATE: The original lot of machines is gone, but I built a few more. Hit me up if interested.

*** I've had a few requests to build a couple more machines, so I'm going to accommodate those for now. Got nothing better to do during lockdown, so might as well help out our fellow AOF'ers. Drop me a PM if interested.

------------------------------

Hey guys,

I have received executive orders from on-high ("Mrs. C5", hallowed be her name!) that I need to clean up a bunch of the crap in the garage. I grudgingly admit she has a point, since parts and bikes and misc. stuff is taking up every available surface.

So, I've got a couple fully-configured laptops with Alta MultiTool running on them. I don't really need them anymore, since I successfully proved to myself that I can build a reliable dual-boot setup that works pretty good with MultiTool. So, no real reason to keep them anymore. Just taking up space at the moment. I'm sure there are a few folks out there that still want a laptop and don't want to build one.

The laptops are dual-boot with new installs of Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04.05 LTS. Alta MultiTool has been installed and tested on my own bikes. Firmware is in the correct location, desktop shortcut created, and Alta Owners Manuals downloaded to the desktop. Includes power supply. All ready to go.

(Note, these are just the laptops, and do NOT include the cable & CAN adapter to connect to the bikes. These cables are readily available on the Alta Owners Forum site.)

The laptops are pretty much identical to the one I put together for the "Loaner Laptop" kit, only without the bike cables or charger adapter. See the video here for more info on the loaner kit contents: How to: Connect Alta Multitool laptop to an Alta Redshift motorcycle - YouTube

Besides the laptops, I have a couple of the 120v adapters for the rapid chargers, if anyone needs some. Also, some of the hard-shell cases that I ship the Loaner Kit in.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.

1609907060401.jpg
1609907086053.jpg
1609907109253.jpg
1609907139928.jpg

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
The horror, selling your toys!!! Have you considered the more appropriate response, preferred by all, building a new garage, or large shop?

I'm ashamed to acknowledge your presence if your first reaction is to sell!

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
The horror, selling your toys!!! Have you considered the more appropriate response, preferred by all, building a new garage, or large shop?

I'm ashamed to acknowledge your presence if your first reaction is to sell!

Well, we’d all like a bigger house, a bigger shop, a bigger salary, and more Altas. But I have a small house, a smaller garage, and a salary that currently precludes more Altas. So when the Mrs. asks me to justify half a dozen laptops for only two bikes, I suppose she has a legit point.

Plus, if I don’t keep Mrs. C5 happy, there won’t be any more Altas. Happy wife, happy life, etc. We all know who wears the pants around here! (Disclaimer: since the COVID lockdowns in March, I don’t recall actually wearing any pants other than of the “sweat” or “motorcycle” variety, so just more fuel on the fire if that conspiracy theory.)

I’ve got dedicated laptops for both bikes. The rest are just surplus learning tools, and taking up space. Somebody can probably put them to good use.

But by all means, feel free to contribute to the “Build C5Tor a bigger garage” fund!

Warren

Hey guys,

I have received executive orders from on-high ("Mrs. C5", hallowed be her name!) that I need to clean up a bunch of the crap in the garage. I grudgingly admit she has a point, since parts and bikes and misc. stuff is taking up every available surface.

So, I've got a couple fully-configured laptops with Alta MultiTool running on them. I don't really need them anymore, since I successfully proved to myself that I can build a reliable dual-boot setup that works pretty good with MultiTool. So, no real reason to keep them anymore. Just taking up space at the moment. I'm sure there are a few folks out there that still want a laptop and don't want to build one.

The laptops are dual-boot with new installs of Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04.05 LTS. Alta MultiTool has been installed and tested on my own bikes. Firmware is in the correct location, desktop shortcut created, and Alta Owners Manuals downloaded to the desktop. Includes power supply. All ready to go.

(Note, these are just the laptops, and do NOT include the cable & CAN adapter to connect to the bikes. These cables are readily available on the Alta Owners Forum site.)

The laptops are pretty much identical to the one I put together for the "Loaner Laptop" kit, only without the bike cables or charger adapter. See the video here for more info on the loaner kit contents: How to: Connect Alta Multitool laptop to an Alta Redshift motorcycle - YouTube

Besides the laptops, I have a couple of the 120v adapters for the rapid chargers, if anyone needs some. Also, some of the hard-shell cases that I ship the Loaner Kit in.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.

View attachment 6436
View attachment 6437
View attachment 6438
View attachment 6439
How much are you ask .

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
UPDATE: The extra machines I had in my garage have now been spoken for and shipped.

However, I've had a few requests to build a couple more machines, so I'm going to accommodate those for now. Got nothing better to do during lockdown, so might as well help out a few fellow AOF'ers. I figure getting a few more MT laptops in the hands of a few more folks should help everyone help each other out.

So, drop me a PM if interested. I can build dual boot setups or Linux-only setups, depending on what you'd like. It would be up to you to purchase the cables to connect to the bike.

Also, just a quick note on hardware. I utilize used laptops for these setups, but I've tried to use quality ones. The price of those laptops have gone WAY up since I picked up the original hardware to build my other machines. (It's almost as if we were in a global lockdown and everyone is buying up all the laptops to work remotely from home and attend remote learning or something! Crazy! Next will be toilet paper hoarding or something whacky like that.) Anyway, my point is that it might take a while to procure some hardware, and it might be little more pricey to acquire than earlier. Alternatively, I could just help you build a laptop on your own hardware.

Your best bet is still to just follow the excellent instructions by TCMB371 and TeslaRaptor, and build your own. It is easier than you might think. I'm just offering some help for those that aren't able to take that route.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Hey Guys,

I built a few more machines for y'all. I have one Ubuntu-only machine, and a couple Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot machines.

Drop me a PM if you are interested. (For those new to the forum, you can click on my profile pic on the left and click the "Start Conversation" button.)

Top Bottom