Alta Multitool Download

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I have the bike side of the Alta dongle available. DB9 to the bike. The DB9 plugs into the canusb adapter and the other end into the bike. PM me if you're interested. I will talk to Philip to set up a thread in the AOF Store. A percentage of the sale will go to support the Forum. I have been using this cable to do some canbus sniffing. It's been used with MT so I know it'll work.

Link to my store is here.

Thanks Philip for getting that set up so quickly! 10% is going to the forum to help keep it going!

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Wow, thank you for posting this! Now everyone can monitor their bikes. And looking at Rashid's posts, you included the latest firmware for each bike. Sweet!

OneLapper, i shot you a PM about the cable.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
you included the latest firmware for each bike
I was just going to ask if there is any firmware that comes with this software. Very nice, thank you @416c7461, whoever you are. So will this allow us to flash-in our own new displays too? What else would you use this software for? Too bad we cannot pick up a phone and call Alta to ask questions. But this is better than what we had available to us for the last five months.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
MT was meant to be used to look at the state of the bike. For production we used it to program all the devices on the bike, time the motor and also check signals on the bike (there is a tab for that). Latest FW will be the most optimum for customers along with parts like displays.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
So will this allow us to flash-in our own new displays too? What else would you use this software for?

We'll need to test out a brand new display on the bike. I'm thinking the displays come without the firmware loaded on it and you just simply need to upload the firmware to it through this multitool in order to allow it to function on the bike.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Someone should spell out what's needed to make a working laptop out of this.

Here is my guess list:
1) Software
2) Laptop (specs, running which OS)
3) One cable thingie
4) Another cable thingie.

1. Multitool included in OP's link
2. Any computer with Ubuntu installed, or boot via a bootable Ubuntu thumb drive. Doesn't appear to need any special hardware specs as its simple python. Go buy a cheap lenovo on ebay for 100$.
3. Onelapper has the bike side of the cable.
4. Other is https://canusb-shop.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51
5. Connect 3 and 4 together, and plug into bike and computer.

Oded

Can this multitool be used to change parameters, maps... Or is it a read only program?

xtreamedrtbker

Disclaimer, I am not a computer programmer and I truly don't know anything about computers. I have ubuntu running and I am trying to launch the tool following the included instructions. At the point of - "sudo python setup.py install" I am getting this error. - AltaTool.PNG

Anyone have this program running yet?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Can this multitool be used to change parameters, maps... Or is it a read only program?
Apparently, you use it to upload complete firmware versions, with their maps. But the firmware is compiled using some other software tool, which probably was not available on dealer laptops. Turns out dealers could not edit maps themselves, even though one used bike salesman, as well as an ex-Alta employee, promised me that dealers and customers would eventually be able to edit maps.

416c7461

Disclaimer, I am not a computer programmer and I truly don't know anything about computers. I have ubuntu running and I am trying to launch the tool following the included instructions. At the point of - "sudo python setup.py install" I am getting this error. - View attachment 2560

Anyone have this program running yet?

appologi mistake made in file
go first post and get new tar ball

here multitool no bike connect
1552232173301.png

snydes

Staff member
Mine is hanging up on this....
CalledProcessError: Command '['rsync', '-av', u'/home/computer/.alta/uuid/', u'/home/computer/alta_vehicle_data']' returned non-zero exit status 23

hightechnature

I'm happy with my bike the way it is. I'd like to program the center switch on the map button cluster to be a manual max regen to capture energy going down hill. Do you think that this software could enable that to be done?

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I'm happy with my bike the way it is. I'd like to program the center switch on the map button cluster to be a manual max regen to capture energy going down hill. Do you think that this software could enable that to be done?
I too would like that function/capability, but it doesn't sound to me like this software would be the correct tool for the task.