Alta laptop...

motion753

Hello, first post here. I used to be an Alta dealer, and I have 2 Redshifts left (2017's) and the original laptop computer that Alta gave us when we became a dealer. I had about 10 minutes of training by the sales rep, and other than that I didn't use it myself at all. Our service techs used it a little, but it's just been sitting for the last year or so. I fired it up today (Ubuntu operating system) and it has some Alta software on it, although I can't get it to anything since Alta is no longer online. But that's not saying much, I can get around OK on a computer, but technology wise, I'm about a 3 or 4 on tech stuff on a scale of 10.

I've browsed this forum a little bit, and it seems there are some pretty intelligent people on here. So a few questions to those who know... does anyone here think this laptop is useful even though it no longer connects online to Alta? Does the downloaded software have any useful info on it? I still have the password, can anyone use this software to help other Alta users with software issues? Or should I just wipe it clean and give it to my kids for a laptop to play with?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Hey, welcome!

The laptop maybe of some use to you, but the dealer version of Multitool was far less capable than the engineering version that is available to download. You could easily upgrade the version of MT and sell the laptop, with the Alta dongle, to help keep someone up and rolling.

Or, maybe more importantly, after you update the laptop, update the two MX's you have. They likely don't support the Rapid charger and that has caused some late adopters of the early bikes some issues.

datadog

The dealer laptop is still useful. If you're not really tech savvy, many of the features included in the engineering platform will be more technical for diagnosis, less useful for basics. It's hard to know if that laptop was connected to the Alta server recently enough to have downloaded the most current firmware, but plugging it in, opening the Alta app and checking to see if it wants to complete an update would be the first thing I would do.