Alta Help in Utah

apbaguley

I purchased a new old stock bike a few months ago and was able to take it out for the first time yesterday and it was a blast.

My problem is it wont charge with the fast charger I have. It throws an error code 103. I've read everything on this forum I can and I have tried everything suggested aside from changing the 9v battery which has its own code and it didn't seem to help anyone else.

My question is who if any were the Alta dealers in Utah? At this point I am pretty convinced that the bike needs a firmware update and I would just like to see if an old dealer would do the update for me. The vin is 56PARAEM4JB000279.

Also, every link that people put up to purchase the Alta dongle cable only sends me to buy the CANUSB not the dongle. I do not have the expertise to build the dongle so where can I simply purchase one?

Thanks if anyone cares to help point me in the right direction.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
It is possible you do just need to update the firmware to use the rapid charger. I know I had the same issue on my 2017 MX with old firmware. It used the standard charger just fine, but wouldn't communicate with the rapid charger. Worked fine after updating the firmware to current. I am not certain if that is an issue on the MXRs, but it could be.

To connect a MultiTool laptop to work with your bike, you will need to get these two cables to connect to the bike. The first link below is the dongle, and it attaches to the second part, which is the CAN-USB adapter.

This cable from the AOF store: Alta Data Port Cable
This CAN-USB adapter: https://canusb-shop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=51

As far as a laptop, there are a few options.
- You can build your own laptop. Not too hard if you are moderately computer savvy.
- Next, not sure if we have any AOF members with laptops in the Utah area, but that would be a good option if any of them are nearby.
- Option #3, I have a loaner laptop kit I can ship. (It does require a deposit, and you get to pay shipping both ways. Not exactly cheap, but it should get the job done.)
- Or lastly, I could build you a laptop. (The extra ones I had for sale have been spoken for, but I've had a few requests for a couple more.)

snydes

Staff member
Good advice above (y)
That’s a pretty early 2018, so I’d definitely make sure to update that firmware before doing anything else.

apbaguley

It is possible you do just need to update the firmware to use the rapid charger. I know I had the same issue on my 2017 MX with old firmware. It used the standard charger just fine, but wouldn't communicate with the rapid charger. Worked fine after updating the firmware to current. I am not certain if that is an issue on the MXRs, but it could be.

To connect a MultiTool laptop work with your bike, you will need to get these two cables to connect to the bike. The first link below is the dongle, and it attaches to the second part, which is the CAN-USB adapter.

This cable from the AOF store: Alta Data Port Cable
This CAN-USB adapter: https://canusb-shop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=51

As far as a laptop, there are a few options.
- You can build your own laptop. Not too hard if you are moderately computer savvy.
- Next, not sure if we have any AOF members with laptops in the Utah area, but that would be a good option if any of them are nearby.
- Option #3, I have a loaner laptop kit I can ship. (It does require a deposit, and you get to pay shipping both ways. Not exactly cheap, but it should get the job done.)
- Or lastly, I could build you a laptop. (The extra ones I had for sale have been spoken for, but I've had a few requests for a couple more.)

Is it just me or do both those links end up at the same place? The AOF store just leads to the link you also posted to purchase the CANUSB adapter and even though the forum thread shows what plugs directly into the bike I don't see a link to buy that.

apbaguley

Good advice above (y)
That’s a pretty early 2018, so I’d definitely make sure to update that firmware before doing anything else.
I saw someone elses VIN so I new it was an earlier bike than I thought. Its weird because its actually listed as being manufactured in March 2019 according to the origination title (not sure what you call it) from Alta.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Is it just me or do both those links end up at the same place? The AOF store just leads to the link you also posted to purchase the CANUSB adapter and even though the forum thread shows what plugs directly into the bike I don't see a link to buy that.

It looks like it is going to the correct place to me. The link (Alta Data Port Cable) should take you to OneLapper's AOF page. Then you hit the Order Now button in the upper-right. Is that what yours does? Are you saying when you hit the order button, it takes you to the canusb-shop.com?

1610323455544.png

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I saw someone elses VIN so I new it was an earlier bike than I thought. Its weird because its actually listed as being manufactured in March 2019 according to the origination title (not sure what you call it) from Alta.
Well, no bikes would have been built in March 2019. The company closed its doors in October 2018.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
@apbaguley the code 103 error is related to an error that occurred with most later Alta MXRs and EXRs (as mostly everyone indicated) You need to update the firmware on the DCCP. Once that is done the code 103 error will clear and the rapid charger should function.

(Looks like the dealer didnt follow the TSB we pushed out...)

apbaguley

Hey @apbaguley looks like you are close to me (I am in cottonwood heights by the mouth of little cottonwood canyon), I have MT running on mac and a touch-screen raspberry pi ...also got 2 dongles, would sell ya or just let you borrow.
The update is pretty quick right? If I ran the bike up there just for the download I would pay you to help me make the update 😬

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
@schwankl Anything MX 1.5 and higher will have the support for R charger. 1.5.1 is on the forum so that should suffice. I just pulled specifically the DCCP .bin file so you can target only the DCCP when programming the bike. (Loader tab, select target)

Attachments

• DCCP.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 4

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Just a reminder, when you update to the latest firmware, it will probably ask you to re-time the motor. So you'll want the bike on a stand with the rear tire off the ground. Just mentioning it in case you were planning to do it in the back of the truck or something. I think it took about 15-20 minutes to update. It is a pretty quick process.

If you only target one of the components via the loader tab, I don't know if it asks to re-time the motor. But why not just do a full update at this point to make sure everything is up to the latest and greatest?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Just a reminder, when you update to the latest firmware, it will probably ask you to re-time the motor. So you'll want the bike on a stand with the rear tire off the ground. Just mentioning it in case you were planning to do it in the back of the truck or something. I think it took about 15-20 minutes to update. It is a pretty quick process.

If you only target one of the components via the loader tab, I don't know if it asks to re-time the motor. But why not just do a full update at this point to make sure everything is up to the latest and greatest?

@C5tor it will not. The motor timing process is part of the Inverter FW update IF the vehicle has never been updated from factory (MXRs were timed by this process so it may not need this). The reason why I brought up specifically the DCCP is to make sure there's no issues in the charging system.

paul34

If you're going to meet with schwankl I'd take your rapid charger with you and see if he'll let you try to charge his bike with it to be sure it's not your charger. I had a 2018 MXR with the same code, when trying to charge with rapid charger, but learned that my charger was bad. Mark911 helped me determine that it was the inverter (which costs more to replace than buying a new charger). Easy TS option that costs $0...just saying.