Alta Fast charger

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I love the Pelican case! No more messing around with those power cords that are sometimes too long and always flap and tangle.

Does it have to stay open for the cooling fan to work?

Welcome to the Forum, Fod!

Fod

Thanks for the great forum! My buddy and I got mxrs on order and should receive them early next week! I contacted alta for info on the fast charger so I can get an adapter to use it at our local state run track that has 220 out. I was told it needs to stay open when in use. That's the extent of my knowledge on it.

snydes

Staff member
Hi Fod, welcome aboard. I think quite a few people pulled the trigger on the MXR. I’m waiting for one too, and the dealer I’m working with had sold 5 of them last I asked. This is going to be the year electrics start showing up all over the country I believe.

snydes

Staff member
My dealer wants one himself but he is waiting for all his orders to be filled first, and from what he tells me they keep coming in.

Fod

Too funny! Yeah my buddy is keeping his hush and wants to show up and surprise everyone with his silent assassin! I still have my 250F which is a great bike but as soon as the Alta arrives I need to sign the divorce papers on the YZ (n). Polygamy isnt allowed in my garage. I wont miss the shift lever, or the consistent nagging...clean my filters, change my oil filter....blah blah...I have a feeling the new girl will be much less fussy! She is a little porky though :giggle:

Fod

:LOL:

She also will be getting around...I have a list of buddies wanting to give her a ride!

rtf

Are most guys with the MXR getting the Rapid/240v charger? Can the rapid charger be used with 120v in the event 240v isn’t available? Sorry for the noob questions, I was set on picking up with SM with the on board and now entertaining the idea of possibly an MXR.

Thanks!

rayivers

The fast charger works on both 120V and 240V. According to the nameplate info it doesn't charge any faster on 120V, which I found a bit disappointing.

Ray

Fod

I was told the rapid charger does both but you will need an adapter to connect to a normal wall socket. So you were going to get a SM, but now a mxr? That's a wild change of heart!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Oh! I did not notice the four-prong plug on the picture of the Rapid charger at first. Yep, it will need an adapter.

According to Alta, it is easy to convert an MX(R) into an SM, but not so easy to convert an SM into an MX.
IIRC, the front brake is the biggest issue -- can't downsize it easily.

Oded

Apart from the chargers, the SM & MXR are completely different. What type of riding are you planning to do?

stretch67

I sent an E-mail to Alta asking some questions about the fast charger, here is what I got back from them.

Besides cost I see no real disadvantage to the Rapid charger. They said the Plug is (L14-30 style)

Here is the adapter I think everyone would want to go with the Rapid Charger
https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-WORK...g-L14-30R-2-Hots-Bridged-AD515L1430/303075096

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for reaching out, we are stoked that you like our bikes.

Right now we do not have a manual available for our chargers or MXR. For now, while we are working on creating the MXR manual, we recommend MXR customers refer to the MX Manual and reach out with any specific questions or concerns. As far as service work goes, both MX and MXR are virtually identical.

• Both our Standard charger ($499) and our Rapid charger ($799) are capable of charging at 240VAC. Note however, our standard charger comes with a 110VAC (5-15 style) plug so you will need an adapter to charge at 240VAC. The R charger comes with a 240VAC (L14-30 style) plug, you will need an adapter to charge at 110VAC.
  • Charging at 240VAC does not effect the life of the battery any differently than charging at 110VAC
  • Our battery does not come with a 1000 hr warranty but is expected to last for 1000+ hours. Our complete warranty MX/MXR warranty can be found HERE. Our battery is rated for 1000 charging cycles. Depending on how you ride, each charge can last between 30 minutes (pro moto) and 4+ hours (slow/technical woods single track). This means our battery is rated for between 500 and 4000+ hours depending on how you ride. Keep in mind most riders don't achieve even 100 hrs a year.
  • Charging at 240VAC is faster than charging at 110VAC. There is not a manual charge speed control, its full charge speed or no charge at all.
I hope this information helps. Thank you again for your interest and support!

Happy Riding and Stay Fast!

Kevin

- Team Alta

Top Bottom