Alta "Factory" Rider Dream

Matt

E-Rider
Watching the Monster Energy Supercross series got me thinking. Wouldn't it be awesome if we all chipped in to run a factory Alta team and sponsored a rider to run the series. I am not sure of any rules or regulations regarding the Alta and the logistics and cost would probably be crazy let alone finding a rider fast enough to make it to the heat races or mains. But it would be super cool to be a part of. Just a dream.

VINSANITY

That’s a great idea - maybe the forum can send Josh a message to see if he has any interest - he may understand how to get this going since he has competed in straight rhythm previously.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Sponsoring a rider takes money. I am not sure how much. From my last year's experience collecting money from the Forum to save/buy Alta Motors, I am not optimistic that we can pull it off. Feel free to give it a try. I can help, but I am not going to be taking the lead here, sorry.

Matt

E-Rider
What about a straight rythm event. I would offer my bike for use. I have no idea what it would cost to enter but seems like it may be more feasible

Matt

E-Rider
AJ says:
"I would 100% ride one at straight rhythm as long as the promoter approves it. I would just have to think of cool theme to sell the promoter on." In response to what would be needed "Bike transport to the event in CA, and one or two of you guys that are really educated with the Alta to be there for race weekend. That’s really it! Would need access to an Alta for the video shoot also (doesn’t necessarily have to be the same bike) as long as it looks identical"

AJ Catanzaro would ride an Alta in straight Rythm. Does anyone else want to pursue this concept? I will offer my bike for use.

Matt

E-Rider
My thought is we could put a message out there that Alta may be gone but it isn't forgotten and the dedicated community keeping these bikes going want the other major manufacturers to make more electric bikes. Also that there is still a ton of interest in these bikes.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Ask AJ if he wants to do it, and if so, then ask what he needs. With pro riders, I have no idea how much they would charge for a gig like this. I am guessing that, depending on the rider, it could range from all-expense-paid to tens of thousands of dollars.

As far as the bike, I think we could find a bike for him in SoCal. We can't do anything with the motor or traction control, so the only things that could be tweaked is the suspension.

But... didn't they just make the Straight Rhythm a 2-stroke-ONLY thing?

Matt

E-Rider
Ask AJ if he wants to do it, and if so, then ask what he needs. With pro riders, I have no idea how much they would charge for a gig like this. I am guessing that, depending on the rider, it could range from all-expense-paid to tens of thousands of dollars.

As far as the bike, I think we could find a bike for him in SoCal. We can't do anything with the motor or traction control, so the only things that could be tweaked is the suspension.

But... didn't they just make the Straight Rhythm a 2-stroke-ONLY thing?
His response to those questions are two comments above. I asked if he would and what he would need to make it happen. I was also thinking if by some chance this happens we may be able to sell BRP sponsorship in exchange for access to modifying our firmware. The BRP thing is more of a pipe dream though ha.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
His response to those questions are two comments above. I asked if he would and what he would need to make it happen. I was also thinking if by some chance this happens we may be able to sell BRP sponsorship in exchange for access to modifying our firmware. The BRP thing is more of a pipe dream though ha.

My apologies for tangenting in the thread, but I would like to reflect on this.

Firmware access has been a big thing/liability. Thats baked deep in the laptops of the former software team. If everyone really wanted new firmware we would have to go to BRP in Canada (when we finally can) and negotiate. Have a potential business case/explanation. Having the former Alta C-level guys fronting that would potentially look better as a bunch of owners may not be as...smart. Then even if that worked, the next side would be unraveling over two plus years of not doing anything with the firmware. Also potentially looking at data from the last ever FW push.

Sure we as a community can easily work together, both logistcally/physically. But this is a huge task.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, this changes things. I took the liberty of formatting the post because it was not clear whose words they were.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Maybe I've lost sight of the objective here. Is this just for the coolness factor? We certainly aren't advertising the "Alta" brand anymore. It doesn't exist as an entity that you can buy bikes from. Maybe it would increase the market value of the existing bikes a bit, and remind everyone that Alta was (and is) a cool and desirable bike. Not saying that I wouldn't want to see this. But what is the payoff for spending our time, AJ's time, and maybe risking some precious bikes and parts?