Alta DNA finds a new home

Mikec265

As much as I love my Alta, I think they should have produced some things that sell better than a dirt bike first. Maybe they would still be in business.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
As much as I love my Alta, I think they should have produced some things that sell better than a dirt bike first. Maybe they would still be in business.
Things like what? A competitive or practical road bike? Alta did a study and concluded that the lowest-hanging fruit that nobody had picked at that time was in motocross. This is where they could easily and convincingly beat the gas bikes. They could have decided to compete with Zero on performance, or with the Lightning/Lifewire bikes on price, but is that really a more profitable market proposition, especially if it involves having to fight for the market with other electric and ICE competitors, while possessing a technology that is inferior to the road-going ICE bikes?

F451

Agreed. And like the restaurant business, your chances of successfully starting a motor vehicle company from scratch are near zero, much less thriving and becoming profitable. I'm amazed that they did as well as they did and accomplished as much as they did. I don't see that it would have mattered what shark infested waters they dove into, it was going to be a death match from the get go. Most do not survive, much less develop an insanely competitve vehicle from scratch. It really is amazing what they accomplished.

Brent421

Just sent them an email begging them to produce an Alta like e-dirt bike, Lol.
Heck, if not an Alta like e-dirt bike maybe just some battery packs that would fit into our Alta’s for one day when they eventually go bad. I also wonder if the non disclosure had expired since he’s going to work for this company.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I also wonder if the non disclosure had expired since he’s going to work for this company.
As stated before, a Non-Disclosure Agreement does not prevent anyone from seeking new employment and using their technical knowledge. I think it actually covers very little.

Mikec265

Things like what? A competitive or practical road bike? Alta did a study and concluded that the lowest-hanging fruit that nobody had picked at that time was in motocross. This is where they could easily and convincingly beat the gas bikes. They could have decided to compete with Zero on performance, or with the Lightning/Lifewire bikes on price, but is that really a more profitable market proposition, especially if it involves having to fight for the market with other electric and ICE competitors, while possessing a technology that is inferior to the road-going ICE bikes?
What about ATVs, sidexsides, golf carts, anything that would sell better than a dirt bike? Around my neck of the woods dirt bikes don't sell very well.