Alta Dictionary -- Acronyms and Technical Terms

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Someone recently suggested that we should put together a list of acronyms that Alta uses. I keep seeing new ones popping up on the forum. If you notice some new acronym or an unknown term, post it in its thread with a question mark next to it, or a definition, if you know the definition.

I will be periodically transferring these acronyms, terms, and their definitions into this top post. This way it will eventually become a usable dictionary.

Let's get started!
---------------------------------------------------------------

ACM -- Accessories Control Module. The main control module of the Redshift system. Logs and manages core functions; holds the VIN, mileage, error codes (latched and non-latched)
BCU - Battery/BRD Control Unit - Main control board which communicates with the ACM. This controls battery events and also 12V operations. Also controls the main contactors of the pack.
BMS -- Battery Management System
BRD - BCU Relay Device - Two of these small boards connect with the x4 modules which live within the battery. These relay information of the modules to the BCU. Fun fact: BRD was a tribute to the original founders and could mean (jokingly) - Bryant Racing Dev (original Alta shop was on Bryant Street in, SF CA) - Also could mean Bravery, Respect, and Domination.
CAC -- Calculated Amp-hour Capacity
Charger (SM ONLY) - 1.1kW charger which is only on the SM.
DC-DC Converter -- Converts 350VDC into +/-12VDC & +/-5VDC
DCCP -- DC Charge Port. The communication port which allows for the coms between off-board charging.
Delta Wing -- The black plastic "gas tank" cover
Display - shows the SOC (State of Charge), Mileage, Errors (when pressing the middle button on the display). Pressing the left most button switches the bike into KPH from MPH. Pressing the right button shows the hour meter.
EV -- Electric Vehicle
EVSE - Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment control that helps keep your electric vehicle safe while charging.
FBH -- Front Bulkhead -- front portion of the frame
ICE -- Internal Combustion Engine
Inverter - Motor controller of the vehicle, has within the controller three PCBAs - Throttle board, Main Inverter PCBA and Board 3 (need to get info/pn)
J1772 (IEC Type 1), also known as a "J plug", is an SAE standard for electrical connectors for electric vehicles.
LHRB — Left hand rear brake
OnBC -- Onboard Charger
OffBC -- Offboard Charger
RBH -- Rear Bulkhead -- rear portion of the frame, aluminum casting that contains the motor, inverter, and gearbox.
Redshift - Redshift happens when light or other electromagnetic radiation from an object is increased in wavelength, or shifted to the red end of the spectrum.
Regen = Regenerative braking
Skidframe -- The two frame rails in front of and under the battery
SOC -- State of Charge
ST -- Single Track, an abbreviation known only to woods riders; Also Street Tracker -- an Alta Redshift ST concept bike.

allesad

REDSHIFT - redshift happens when light or other electromagnetic radiation from an object is increased in wavelength, or shifted to the red end of the spectrum.

long version -
Redshift and blueshift describe how light shifts toward shorter or longer wavelengths as objects in space (such as stars or galaxies) move closer or farther away from us. The concept is key to charting the universe's expansion.

Visible light is a spectrum of colors, which is clear to anyone who has looked at a rainbow. When an object moves away from us, the light is shifted to the red end of the spectrum, as its wavelengths get longer. If an object moves closer, the light moves to the blue end of the spectrum, as its wavelengths get shorter.

Not be confused with Amazon Redshift or Abode's Redshift products

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
BCU -- Battery Control Unit (confirmation needed)
POS -- Positive

Jayfox911

For the display board, you can add the far lower right button will display hours when pressed. Lower right button changes miles to hours while pressed.

maybe add the suspension types...4CS, AER, xplorer? Or all the firmware information?

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
BCU -- Battery Control Unit (confirmation needed)
POS -- Positive

BRAAP - Sound made by primitive internal combustion engines, specifically ancient 2 stroke designs, which used to be powered by decaying dinosaur juice.

Note: Also reference BRAAP! : sound made by @TCMB371 when applying additional throttle inputs upon corner exit, or when alerting impeding riders to get the hell out of the way. Sometimes accompanied by insane beeping of horn.

JP racing

Some stuff that I had to look up when I started dealing with electric vehicles...

CAN - Controller area network, CAN bus - Wikipedia
IGBT - Insulated-gate bipolar transistor, Insulated-gate bipolar transistor - Wikipedia
PCBA - Printed Circuit Board Assembly, a pcb with the parts installed
PMAC - Permanent Magnet AC Motor, type of motor used in many EV's including the Alta

Also thrown around on this forum
JDay - Northeast US off-road series, Fox Racing J Day Offroad
Seen a couple videos of people running Alta's at these events... I will be #58 for 2023.
TKO - Tennessee Knockout, The Red Bull Tennessee Knockout Extreme Enduro -- August 18-20, 2023 at the TTC
I signed up for the ECR class but I'll have to see how training goes...

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I signed up for the ECR class but I'll have to see how training goes...
Dude! You were defining acronyms, but then you threw “ECR” in there at the end. No fair! I’m calling a foul: undefined acronym in the acronym definition article. You lose 5 Alta-points and must spend 5 minutes in the acronym-free box.

JP racing

I had no clue what ECR st for :p
Dude! You were defining acronyms, but then you threw “ECR” in there at the end. No fair! I’m calling a foul: undefined acronym in the acronym definition article. You lose 5 Alta-points and must spend 5 minutes in the acronym-free box.
fair enough… they may have helped establish the class at TKO
ECR: Electric Cycle Rider, pretty decent eMoto resource imho -https://electriccyclerider.com/

Also TTC snuck in somehow… The Trials Training Center