Alta dead -- Solved

MXrider

So, I haven't ridden my Alta in a while and I went to start it today and it is completely dead. I am assuming the battery has completely discharged. Unfortunately, I can't even charge it because when I connect the charger it still doesn't come on to communicate with the charger. Is there a way to get around this? Anyone have experience? Muchly appreciated.

snydes

Staff member
We will need more specs such as year, model, and serial number is also helpful. State of charge the last time you rode it is important also.

snydes

Staff member
Thank you for that. We have seen this same scenario several times now on R pack bikes like yours. Every time so far it has been a BCU that has failed. Good news is should that be the case we can still get that part. Fortunately you are in probably the best state for support. We have many members in California that may be able to help diagnose/confirm the problem.

Motophyllic

I keep my bikes at 50% all the time while stored. My one EXR didn’t move for over a year. I hope I don’t have this problem.

Mark911

I’ve been able to backfeed 12v into the system to at least get a pulse (display showing faults and state of charge). If yours shows some battery left it’s probably the BCU. My 18 MX died the other day and turned out to be a blown fuse in the BCU. There’s many different failure modes that I’ve found in various BCUs but that particular one was an easy fix!

MXrider

That would be great if it is something simple. I am new at doing any work on the Alta. How were you able to back-feed 12-volt into the system? Are there any links of how tos with possible pictures / videos?

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
That would be great if it is something simple. I am new at doing any work on the Alta. How were you able to back-feed 12-volt into the system? Are there any links of how tos with possible pictures / videos?

Definitely get in contact with Mark. He is up in Corona, not too far away from you if you are in North county SD. He's our resident socal Alta mad scientist.

Mark911

Go to pin 3M (positive) and 4M (negative) on the backshell connector on the ACM. Use a power supply that’s limited in amperage, you should only need an amp or two. Of course, proceed at your own risk as there’s no formal procedures on these bikes!