Alta Accessories?

FreddieGrove

Wazzzup,

I work at a dealership, and we have Alta as a brand. Since they have gone out of business, I am riding a 2018 MXR for the summer. I was wondering what you guys have out there as far as some aftermarket parts, and what you guys did to customize em as far as components. I have a little idea on what I want to do to it, but I want to hear from you guys what the best stuff is.

I also have been researching on anywhere to get some plastics from, but, I've not been able to come up with a single thing on it. Anyone have any new leads?

P.S. - Phillip, I am from US 27 Motorsports. I believe you got yours from us? Pardon me if I'm wrong.

Thanks Guys!!!
- Freddie

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The plastics is sold periodically on this forum, usually in the Classifieds section, by owners who have stocked up but later decided to sell their bikes. I would call @AltaWest too, they might have what you need.

What type of customization are you thinking about?

FreddieGrove

Here's a little of what I have on my list:

- Breakaway Front Brake Lever
- Rear Brake (Either buy an over-sized peg kit, or just a top piece for stock)
- Rear Chain Guide
- Possible Taller Bars, or just put on some risers?
- Sprockets (Read that you guys like the 14T a lot. I will Probably run that. Alta loses its ponies at about 45-50 to me.)
- NEED a Rear Fender, and both Shroud plastics!
- Over-Sized Rotors / Pads ??

Also, If you guys have any ideas of stuff you want made. We have a partnered Machine Shop with us down the road from our dealership. If enough of you guys want a part, I can have it made, and then sell through our store. I was going to come at him with scanning in a new rear brake, that has holes so dirt can go through, as well as being a little bigger, and some sharper tips.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Fasst Company rear brake return spring, a DIY LHRB kit (there is a sticky thread in the Brakes/Tires sub-forum with part numbers). I also have an O-ring chain with a 45-tooth rear sprocket and the stock front, but you can go up to 14-tooth front to make Map 4 more usable. The shain is 2 links longer than needed to move the rear wheel back, so that I can install 110 or 120 rear tires without rubbing. A graphics kit. An SXS skid plate (mostly to keep the mud from packing unter the motor. That's about it.

There have been display guards machined for the MXR, but I prefer the stock display location. I have something to cover that LCD with to protect it.

FreddieGrove

Map 4 fits perfectly for me on the track. (Being that I'm 6'3 260lbs) I tried a 52 RS on it last year, and it helped a little, but still would like more mid than low end since it has enough low end grunt.

I will being getting a protector for the screen, I see a lot of guys are doing that.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, you should revalve your suspension then too. Especially if your shock's part number ends with a "1". KTM World and/or N2Dirt can do it very well.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have had two MCR revalves over many years on my 1995 CR250. They worked very well for me. Last time I had to pick my own springs though because their recommendations were a bit soft. I must have become faster and heavier, LOL. Alta is weird though. It is much heavier than the KTM and has stiffer spring rates too. And with your 260# they would probably have to wear a weighted vest, or two, to test ride and tune your bike.

FreddieGrove

He usually is pretty spot-on with mine because I have been with him since I was young. Biggest thing I'm excited for is riding Air Forks for the first time! Do you use Alta's Fork Pump, or WC?

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
My recommended mods:

1- Suspension. Stock MXR suspension is valved too soft for motocross IMO. Get it revalved for your riding type and skill level. (looks like you're doing that).
2- FASST rear brake return spring. Helps dampen the On/Off effect of the stock rear brake setup.
3- Footpegs + Acerbis footpeg covers. Helps prevent dirt/mud packing up in the footpegs.
4- Skid Plate - Keep dirt/mud from packing up underneath the bike.

Brake upgrades other than #2 are not really necessary. The front brake works almost too good already, and the rear works fine with the added return spring. Might want to consider a folding front lever.

I personally run a 110 rear on my bike with a non-ringed chain. I have tried messing with gearing (13/52) and didn't like it. At my skill level I didn't like the lack of power with a smaller final drive. Also, i noticed that I hit thermal limiting a lot faster with a smaller final drive. I'm currently running a 12/52 setup and like that.