Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Just in case you want to hotrod your Alta:
aem-ev-logo-pr.png
AEM EV Website
aem-ev-website-launch-2020.jpg

AEM EV LAUNCHES WWW.AEMEV.COM
HAWTHORNE, CA—AEM EV has launched its website, aemev.com. The website provides information on its control solutions for performance EV street conversions and motorsports vehicles, including its programmable Vehicle Control Units (VCUs), Power Distribution Units, CAN-based Keypads, CAN-based Digital Dash Displays, CAN expansion modules and more.

Although we are still in the early release phase for our EV products, we are really excited to launch this website as it provides a centralized portal to all of the critical information about AEM EV performance control solutions, commented Lawson Mollica, AEM EV Director of Marketing & Public Relations. Right now, users can browse our products and review their features, but as we validate our products to control more EV applications this site will include all of the critical documentation, software and support mechanisms our customers need to ensure the successful implementation of our products on their EV. This is just the beginning; we have a lot of exciting stuff on the horizon!

About AEM EV
AEM EV is the Performance EV Controls brand of AEM Performance Electronics. Our mission is to make electronics products that simplify the EV conversion process. Our EV Vehicle Control Units and supporting electronics are intuitive and simple to use, and provide powerful control for EV street-conversion vehicles and motorsports applications.

Jayfox911

I asked if Alta motors were supported and didn’t really get a yes or no answer....

“The initial VCU release will support Cascadia inverters, which can be used to control a wide variety of motors. We will be continually adding to the list of supported inverters going forward with the aim of controlling all popular makes.

Thank You,

Matt Cruz
Technical Support
AEM Performance Electronics
(310) 484-2322 Ext. 270
www.AEMElectronics.com

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
“The initial VCU release will support Cascadia inverters, which can be used to control a wide variety of motors. We will be continually adding to the list of supported inverters going forward with the aim of controlling all popular makes.

From Cascadia Motion :
Motorcycles
Cascadia Motion supplied the winning propulsion electronics at the Isle of Man TT Zero 4 years in a row, took Pike's Peak with a commanding margin, and set multiple land speed records. The Cascadia Motion propulsion solution is the basis for several new OEM electric motorcycles

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Fun facts:
Cascadia Motion makes motor controllers as well - which are used in Energicas - which used to be: rinehart motor controllers (very popular in the Formula SAE circuit)

CM was purchased by Borg Warner last year/recently along with Sevcon. BW has a good chunk of the LV and HV controller market.

In order for them to even work with a Fukuta (Alta motor) they need to sample it. Shouldnt be a tough task...though now I think everyone in the EV space is holding there cards close.

Mark911

I'm friends with John Concialdi (one of the original founders of AEM) and have emailed him regarding this new product line.

At first glance it appears to be the signal processing end of what we would consider our inverter, so it's only half the equation. Fundamentally, it would need to communicate with the IGBT module housed inside our inverter to get any kind of signal to each phase of our motor. If it can be properly configured to do this and accept the other important sensor inputs (throttle, encoder, current, temp, etc) the only issue would be how to physically wire it up and package it (easier said than done). Personally, I'd pull the board out of the AEM module and try to replace the Alta board but there are many ways. I suspect it'll need some new (AEM?) sensors, however, probably throttle and current at least. And having a stand alone speed controller disrupts the Alta "system" so many other modules will probably fault out, although there's ways around those as well.

Then, if you get everything to play together, you'll have total freedom to do your own motor control programing and in doing so throw away years of R&D built into the stock system as well as many failsafe features. Unfortunately, it's an all or nothing conversion.

Will I try a conversion? Hell yes! But not for my MX bikes, I doubt there's much room for improvement and the downside too steep. However, I have other projects that use the Alta drivetrain that are noticeably limited by the current programming and that'll be my focus. I'll try and keep the group informed as things develop.