Acerbis Plastics Tools

gio

good afternoon all,

someone from Acerbis just reached out (I used to work at ALTA, happy days) asking what to do with the ALTA plastic tools.

whether folks would be interested in making a run of plastics, or to get the tools somewhere let me know and i can let the Acerbis team know.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I think we could use some more "delta wings". I think we are all out, and some owners have seized brass inserts that are spinning.

AFAIK, all other parts are available in quantities that we can't consume any time soon. But we should ask @ayden_kry to confirm that.

snydes

Staff member
Welcome gio, thank you for reaching out here. We should definitely not let this tooling get discarded if it comes to that, regardless of how much plastic Liquid Performance currently has. I assume we are talking about a substantial quantity of tooling? I think based on the stock that we currently have with Liquid, there won't be a demand for new plastic anytime soon, unless they would be open to doing runs in different colors, then I think perhaps people may be interested in putting together an order. We need to think this through as this opportunity will only happen once.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
We'd love to have the tooling! Are they trying to sell it or give it to the community in good faith? :)

Either way, we shouldn't pass up the opportunity to get whatever tooling,etc that we can.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is that they are looking for a reason not to scrap this tooling. Enter they want us to order parts, or pay them some storage fee until we do decide to order parts. .

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Explain to all of us how you would modify the tooling to eliminate the brass inserts. No pressure.

Well, first I would probably hand you a chill pill :LOL:. Geez.

And then I'd probably convert them over to a recessed metal nut surrounded on 3 sides by plastic. It would have more surface area against the plastic which would help resist twisting and pulling out when tightened.

But then again, none of us have seen said tooling, so it's hard to explain exactly how it would be modified.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Well, first I would probably hand you a chill pill :LOL:. Geez.

And then I'd probably convert them over to a recessed metal nut surrounded on 3 sides by plastic. It would have more surface area against the plastic which would help resist twisting and pulling out when tightened.

But then again, none of us have seen said tooling, so it's hard to explain exactly how it would be modified.

Riiiight...so the brass insert is heat staked into the plastic (which already does not have alot of surface area). Be aware that most owners do not hit the recommended 1ish NM for the torque...most probably the good old German technique of "guudentight" which leads to the wonderful destruction of the the inserts. Also forgetting the compression limiters leads to loose inserts...if anything slightly changing the hardware would be a more cost effective change than effectively destroying the tooling.

No offense, the plastic from Acerbis was a PITA. A "change" warrants an orly....

VINSANITY

Jeff Sand here (ex ALTA founder) I corresponded with Acerbis today. I asked about forum members putting together an short run order. The managing engineer Osvaldo seems amenable to processing an order. Let me know the consensus and I will correspond with them.
Hey Jeff - these bikes are awesome, you guys should be very proud of what you accomplished - hope you guys are pursuing something similar.

snydes

Staff member
Jeff Sand here (ex ALTA founder) I corresponded with Acerbis today. I asked about forum members putting together an short run order. The managing engineer Osvaldo seems amenable to processing an order. Let me know the consensus and I will correspond with them.

Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the time.

Given the situation with Liquid Performance and the huge inventory of plastic they have, I think the only way we could generate any interest in doing a short run order is if Acerbis would do an alternative color and we (the forum members) could agree on said color as a "limited and probably never again" Alta Owner Forum plastic group buy or something along those lines. However getting everyone to agree on something might be easier said then done, and there would need to be some details on the dollars and cents before people would likely sign on. A lot of logistical issues would have to be sorted out, but I can certainly start a poll to see what interest we have in the idea if those things sound reasonable.