A (240v) high output alternator on truck engine to charge the bike

Vagus

Has anyone looked into putting another (240v) high output alternator on their truck engine to charge the bike? I know Winnebago has done this to charge the coach batteries in the new Travato. Just wondering if it is feasible?

rayivers

Has anyone looked into putting another (240v) high output alternator on their truck engine to charge the bike?

After a quick read-over, it appears this setup should fully power either standard or fast Alta chargers (it's 5kW at 50Hz, so figure 4kW+ at the reduced duty cycle; it may be available in 60Hz too, idk). Yes, it's probably expensive, may be difficult to install, inverter unit bulky, etc. - but extremely quiet / huge fuel tank / no lifting 240VAC capabilities might be worth it to many. I would've loved something like this during past camping trips and power outages.

EDIT: Just read through the installation manual - it appears automatic engine speed control is an option (p. 9, #2), using a load-demand output on the inverter. If Whisper Power's speed control can maintain @ 1,700 engine rpm under varying loads (using 3:1 pulleys), it should work well and be fairly easy on both engine & alternator.

Ray

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone looked into putting another (240v) high output alternator on their truck engine to charge the bike? I know Winnebago has done this to charge the coach batteries in the new Travato. Just wondering if it is feasible?
Welcome, Vagus! Your interesting question deserves its own special thread!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Webasto do not know anything yet, they just started talking to Whisper Power. They haven't even committed to being their dealer. Need to call someone else.

Vagus

After a quick read-over, it appears this setup should fully power either standard or fast Alta chargers (it's 5kW at 50Hz, so figure 4kW+ at the reduced duty cycle; it may be available in 60Hz too, idk). Yes, it's probably expensive, may be difficult to install, inverter unit bulky, etc. - but extremely quiet / huge fuel tank / no lifting 240VAC capabilities might be worth it to many. I would've loved something like this during past camping trips and power outages.

EDIT: Just read through the installation manual - it appears automatic engine speed control is an option (p. 9, #2), using a load-demand output on the inverter. If Whisper Power's speed control can maintain @ 1,700 engine rpm under varying loads (using 3:1 pulleys), it should work well and be fairly easy on both engine & alternator.

Ray

Would you even need an inverter? I assume the Alta charger is DC output?

rayivers

Would you even need an inverter? I assume the Alta charger is DC output?

I'd have to check the charger schematic to be certain, but if the alternator's DC voltage output was high enough it could probably be input to the CC/CV charging circuitry instead of the charger's built-in DC supply output. Just FWIW, I wouldn't recommend doing this.

Ray

MVetter

The Alta guy you pointed me towards said he passed our info along to his people and they will contact us if they are interested in talking to us. As far as here I felt like I got 3-4 people who are basically interested in knowing more which is far from a firm sale. And that's fine. I definitely wasn't expecting to show up and be met with hordes of people shoving fistfuls of cash at me, even if that is the dream. With that being the extent of things we can't justify any current time being spent anywhere else but our current projects and orders. If that changes I'll definitely let you guys know.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member

Ray
Robert Conner <robert.conner@aersupply.com> wrote:

Thank you for your inquiry. AER Supply is the US Distributor for Whisperpower.

This unit requested is available in 110VAC/60Hz. The system would cost you $3400.00 and would take approximately 3 weeks to deliver.

The 230V/50hz W-BD-5 Beltpower is $3300.00.

However we do not offer installation services for this product line. You would need to source a mechanic and fabrication shop to have this unit installed. A custom bracket and pulley would need to be made for installation on a Dodge.

Top Bottom