3D Printing low-run injection molds- Possible source for plastic parts

Scott

Not sure if this has been discussed before but I came across this and though I would share it with the community.

This article discusses the use of 3D printing to print molds for low run injection molding.
3D Printing low-run injection molds

Not sure of the cost but I would imagine that the bulk of the cost deals with the CAD part of this process. By the looks of it there are people win the community that have CAD skills so that expense could be minimized.

Go here to start a dialog with them about getting an estimate.
Injection Molding Service
Custom injection molded parts for engineers for low volume runs, from 500 to 10,000 units

Injection Molding Service | 3D Hubs

privateer703

AOF Addict
CAD is not usually the most expensive part, machining the mold usually is. This might be ok for number plates, but the article states this is for parts up to 150mm. Everything else is going to be much bigger than that. You can go to GrabCad or other sources for free 3d models, find something close to a fender and see if they'll give you a quote. At least then you'll know the ballpark. The bigger problem is getting a large enough group to order as they will likely want upfront payment for a large order, but if it's reasonable we can make more of an effort to put the word out to see if we can get a group buy. IF you find out that cost is reasonable, then we can get the 3D models. I'm just not going through the hassle of getting these parts modeled because the cost to make is currently too much for our small group.