3D print shroud guards to fill in the ribs

VINSANITY

I can donate 2020 Honda CRF shrouds which seem to match the frame lines of the Alta

If you are interested let me know where to send them

Blatant Moto

If someone has access to a scanner, and would be willing, we can scan my shroud design. From there I could probably recreate in fusion 360 pretty accurately. I’m still kicking myself for not taking a copy of my original 3D..

making a mold sure wouldn’t be cheap though..

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
If someone has access to a scanner, and would be willing, we can scan my shroud design. From there I could probably recreate in fusion 360 pretty accurately. I’m still kicking myself for not taking a copy of my original 3D..

@Blatant Moto - We're talking about these shrouds, right? I love this design! Why don't we have Star Trek replicators yet? Somebody in tech support has really dropped the ball, cuz I was really hoping we'd have that tech by now.

1593628782470.png

Potatonet

Do you have pictures of this?

We can scan it as Long as it’s 1 piece.

molding, well there’s a few CNC machines here, compression mold is easiest to make I would say, shooting the parts, another story

I intend to have the initial ones printed on a large format FDM or objet, it would be nice to have high impact plastic molded, other step for another day. For now we are focused on comfy knees

Blatant Moto

Do you have pictures of this?

We can scan it as Long as it’s 1 piece.

molding, well there’s a few CNC machines here, compression mold is easiest to make I would say, shooting the parts, another story

I intend to have the initial ones printed on a large format FDM or objet, it would be nice to have high impact plastic molded, other step for another day. For now we are focused on comfy knees
C5tor beat me to it. See above. It’s one piece. I’m a little wary about just handing it over or shipping it as it’s the only set and I spent a ton of time on it.. Where are you located?

Potatonet

@Blatant Moto - We're talking about these shrouds, right? I love this design! Why don't we have Star Trek replicators yet? Somebody in tech support has really dropped the ball, cuz I was really hoping we'd have that tech by now.

View attachment 5567
C5tor beat me to it. See above. It’s one piece. I’m a little wary about just handing it over or shipping it as it’s the only set and I spent a ton of time on it.. Where are you located?

Sebastopol, Ca.

I can drive to the bay if it’s down there

or even better you drive it up to us!

that keeps it safe :)

Blatant Moto

Sebastopol, Ca.

Oh dang not far at all
Sebastopol, Ca.

or even better you drive it up to us!

that keeps it safe :)
Oh damn! So close! And I’m jobless! I wouldn’t have a problem heading up there at all. I’m out of town for the next week, but let’s reconnect then.

Jayfox911

Hmmm. I might be able to make some snap-in inserts, but i'd need to get the measurement really accurate so that it hugs the curves well. Lemme see what i can come up with.
Let me know when they are ready!
If you can do the middle two fillers first that would solve most of my problems I think.

evh1

This is super interesting. I have a pair of stock shrouds I'll donate to the effort if you get in a tight. Just need the new ones plus I'll buy an additional pair for bike #2

Philip

Administrator
Staff member

If you can recreate them in a CAD software, and also tweak them to be as narrow and close to the frame as possible, this will then be the shrouds that everyone will wan to upgrade to! Then we will find a way to produce them too, I am sure. :giggle:

metallic88

i already scaned half the bikes plastics and posted the files
Thinking about making the plastics for alta

Matt

E-Rider
Bump. I need new graphics and want these ribs filled in then get custom graphics to hold the fillers in place. Chop chop 3D printing people ;):p
I started modeling a fix for this but have gotten busy with work and prepping for a trip I am doing next week. Will hopefully pick up where I left off in a week and a half and print out my first idea of a rib filler. Getting the contours of the shroud to line up is a rather enjoyable modeling challenge.

Jayfox911

I started modeling a fix for this but have gotten busy with work and prepping for a trip I am doing next week. Will hopefully pick up where I left off in a week and a half and print out my first idea of a rib filler. Getting the contours of the shroud to line up is a rather enjoyable modeling challenge.
Thank @Matt if it helps I would be satisfied with the middle two ribs filled it. I would also cut out the middle rib between the center two spaces, if needed! :unsure:(y)

bluefxstc

Anyone thought about using the existing shrouds as a mold and laying up a thin s glass or carbon fiber cover that smooths out the ribs? It wouldn't have to be strong as it wouldn't be structural, just something to cover the ribs when your knees slide over them.