3D Print Models

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
I agree. It's part of my plans to start modeling items, but when I do it all day for work, and remaining uncertainty about what the future is for Alta, it's not at the top of my list.

When I see what parts I get from my order, I will maybe get started on it. If anyone has access to 3D scanning, that will help a ton.

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
I'm just a dude (ChemE / Industrial Automation Engineer)... with a little 3D printer and a some experience modeling/manufacturing :) I'd love to get this design verified, regarding both fit/finish and manufacturability before we talk about pricing and availability.

The above design is a close approximation I put together to work out a protective case. The case I worked out is from laser burned and folded sheet metal, and a laser cut plexiglas lens (no 3d printing in this design). Maybe that would be easier, then make it available on shapeways for anyone to go print when they are ready!

My kit:
- AutoDesk Fusion 360 (free, startup license)
- PrintrBot Simple Metal (6"x6"x6" heated bed) ** crazy, cause they just "ceased operations" earlier this year too :( Sad, I love this printer and they guys that made it happen!
- Cura (by Ultilmaker) open-source printer interface and slicer

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor

TriumphTwins

Well here is my 2 cent contribution to the 3D printers on here who have an ALTA MXR. Here is an LCD protector that I designed and have been using for awhile on my bike. I have been wanting to share this for awhile but didn't want to take away from others on here selling the aluminum protectors. It's a work in process and could be changed in a dozen ways but works well as is.

Thingiverse link: ALTA Redshift MXR LCD Saver by TriumphTwins

IMG_2702.JPG

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Rad stuff guys! Lets keep it going. I like to open source approach. We're a small community and need to stick together.

Somebody should set up an ALTA 3D printing marketplace to help those of us who are technologically over-the-hill get some of these useful items. :cool: Has anyone tried the "Print a Thing" app and the distributed network to get a design printed?

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Somebody should set up an ALTA 3D printing marketplace to help those of us who are technologically over-the-hill get some of these useful items. :cool: Has anyone tried the "Print a Thing" app and the distributed network to get a design printed?

I'd be willing to print parts for people and ship them for a small fee.

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
Thingaverse or shapeways would be my suggestion.

You can upload a 3d model to shapeways, and share with community. Then, individually, we print right from shapeways in many material types and have delivered to your home. The above mentioned dash guard, for example, could be printed in tough nylon for about $80-$100. Of course you would need to source screws, polycarbonate, etc.

VINSANITY

Hey Ben

Do you think you could attempt making new shrouds with a different design.

When I ride without knee pads (EXR) my knees hurt from the shape of tgecsrouds.

They are overly bulbous and could really be skimmed down. Also those ribs are pretty sharp edged.

I could send you a sketch of what I m thinking.

Use the exact same mounting points but re-configure a little.

Thoughts

Vince

Trialsman

Vince, I had the same thoughts but possibly a simpler solution is to reform the existing lower rib (the one that really seems to offend) with an heat gun. If you carefully use cotton gloves you will not mar the finish.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
The problem is, you need a large 3d printer to be able to print something as large as an entire shroud. It will also take a considerable amount of time to print. For reference, one of my lower chain sliders takes 4 hours to print with usable settings.