24 Hours of Starvation Ridge in WA -- October 26 & 27, 2019 (new dates)

SuburbanDad

I have a 240v generator that can charge 2 bikes at a time - picked it up for the china hat isde. Deafeningly loud tho, will prob need some sound abatement 😎

bluefxstc

I'm in if suburban dad does it.
With @p0wn we now have 10 riders who have expressed an interest. Me, @Silent But Dirty @ElectroBraap @revoltlution @Bionicman @Redwolf @Mark911 @Speedkills @SuburbanDad and @p0wn listed in sign up order. We now have enough for 2 teams of 5, but 2 teams of 6 would be preferable so we need 2 more. Sounds like we will be having an Alta convention in SE Washington October 2019. Maybe we can get some of the Alta staff like @Honcho @Judaslefourbe or @datadog to join us also. Calling all AOF members, you don't have to be from the left coast to join in the fun, everyone is welcome, maybe we can get 3 teams. :ricky:

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I can supply 2 5.5kw 240v generators, one more quiet than the other, that should provide charging capabilities for a couple machines.

snydes

Staff member
Would anyone considering a graphics kit in the near future be potentially interested in a “Team AltaOwnersForum.com” themed kit? I’m looking to put something together for myself and could see if a vendor would consider a discount for multiple kits.

Just a thought.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
My lady and I are on the fence about setting roots here or back east. We're making that decision soon and we'll be moving in August. If we decide to stay here in SoCal i'd be interested in participating. I suppose if a slower team and faster team are being put together, I would be a part of the faster team.

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
Would anyone considering a graphics kit in the near future be potentially interested in a “Team AltaOwnersForum.com” themed kit? I’m looking to put something together for myself and could see if a vendor would consider a discount for multiple kits.

Just a thought.
Absolutely! #TeamAlta

This maybe deserves it's own thread as there may be many opinions :)

bluefxstc

My lady and I are on the fence about setting roots here or back east. We're making that decision soon and we'll be moving in August. If we decide to stay here in SoCal i'd be interested in participating. I suppose if a slower team and faster team are being put together, I would be a part of the faster team.
Awesome, love to have you. I think that is 11 of 12 for two teams of 6. I will put out a list of eveyone who has expressed an interest when i get back. Too old to effectively work from a fablet. :)

F451

Hey guys, I just rec'd a cleaner copy of the 2018 Starvation Ridge 24 Hour race results, see the attached pdf. It's very interesting, the first place team had laps times between 34 - 56 mins, with the rest of the teams being slower of course and having lap times all over the place.

I'm seeing plenty of lap times right around the 1 hour mark which has me wondering if an Alta can complete a 20 mile or so lap out there at race pace, basically railing for an hour straight or so. I believe last years race started out with perfect conditions and then the rains came, but I don't think it was as bad as past mud races there.

I was hoping to get out there in early May to their 9 mile Eddieville GP style track to do some testing to see how many miles my '18 MXR would do at "speed", in either map 2 or 3 (I'd like to test both out, map 2 setting in the am, charge up at lunch time, another session on map 3 in the afternoon). But I think I'm going to be traveling then so may not be able to get out there.

Have you guys considered any of the other events to try to get a feel for this? I see they have play days at the GP track at Eddieville as well as plenty of races at both Eddieville and Starvation Ridge.

And I sent a message to Scott who runs the race/owns the property asking him how the Eddieville GP track compares to the Starvation Ridge course as far as speed and open/tight terrain, and also if he knows how many miles the 24 hr course is likely to be this year, I'll let you know if I hear anything from him.

Here's their schedule if anyone is considering getting out there before the 24 hr race in the fall: Schedule | Over The Bars Gang

Attachments

• 2018 STARVATION RIDGE 24 HOUR TEAM RACE RESULTS.pdf
    61.1 KB · Views: 3

SuburbanDad

I would be down to do some test runs also. Fwiw, I would expect the Alta to do a 20 mile loop at *my* race pace, deep mud notwitstanding.

Last year I did the china hat isde. The Alta obviously would not finish even one lap on a single charge. I rode conservatively and was able to make checkpoint 3 at 34 miles in just over an hour and I had about 20% left in the tank when I pitted for some generator time.

I expect starvation ridge would not be that different, and one could be more aggressive with the throttle and get better lap times.

F451

Just heard from Scott the owner/operator of the Starvation Ridge 24 Hr Race course, him and his wife are so cool and supportive. Here's the gist of it:
  • Scott said: "Happy to see electrics coming out."
  • Generators are allowed at night. The quieter the better.
  • Mileage an be anywhere from 15 to 22. No longer than that. Key is how wet, more so than length.
  • The Ridge has faster AND slower sections than Eddieville. Not as many jumps. Lots more chop at the Ridge.
This pretty much confirms what I was recalling about the race, but good to hear it straight from Scott. -Ed

SuburbanDad

FYI I ran the Alta at China hat again this year. I missed the generator I staged at mile 32 and the bike ran flat at about 33.5 while I was riding/scanning looking for it.

The alta is zero fun to push in the open desert, but the range estimate for a ~20mph avg pace was spot on.