24 Hours of Starvation Ridge in WA -- October 26 & 27, 2019 (new dates)

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I am still planning on participating, and I have followed the NE team. I suppose it's time to start collecting the additional bits and pieces I will need.

bluefxstc

So if we want to register for this and save the $100, we need the registration to be post marked by September 15. I also need to get the bike prepped and get some lights for the night legs. Three of us have said yes, me, @Redwolf and @revoltlution. @Bionicman has given a tentative, anyone else? A team for the event is up to 5 rider. I don't see us doing it with fewer if we want to keep a bike on the course all the time, so we need a commitment from two more to make this happen. Who is up for this?

SuburbanDad

Solid yes, slow group. My MX is fitted with Baja designs squadron led lights already - I can't imagine I would need much more than that - maybe a helmet mount light? Also one annoyingly loud 240v generator that will charge 2 bikes at once - I will look into some sound abatement.

bluefxstc

Solid yes, slow group. My MX is fitted with Baja designs squadron led lights already - I can't imagine I would need much more than that - maybe a helmet mount light? Also one annoyingly loud 240v generator that will charge 2 bikes at once - I will look into some sound abatement.
Awesome, up to 4 bikes/riders in the slow group, just need one more for the team. Anyone else?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My MX is fitted with Baja designs squadron led lights already - I can't imagine I would need much more than that - maybe a helmet mount light?
Definitely a helmet light. Contact @MrTaskRacing. Pretty much all teams at NE24hr Challenge ran his lights.

I have come to a conclusion that for racing in the woods helmet lights are way more important than the bike light. They always shine exactly where you are looking.

Get two helmet lights and install them as low as you can on both sides of the helmet. One light on top of the helmet highlights everything in your line of sight right near your face (night bugs, 2-stroke smoke, rain), whereas lights that are installed on the side of the helmet do not do that.

The only good function the bike's light serve is to highlight the road bumps by creating shadows behind them. But once you stumble, lose your flow, and start making steering corrections left and right to stay on two wheels, the bright spot from the bike's light starts moving like crazy and can at times cause a disorientation.

I now understand exactly why Baja racers attach their huge bike lights not to the forks but to the frame. But it won't work well in tight woods.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Hope you guys get yourselves a team. It was so much fun to race in an all-electric team in a 24-hour race! I wish I could drive over to WA and join you in October, but it is quite a hike from Michigan.

Those who are unable to race should just come over to help and cheer. This is what I would have done myself if I was unable to race for some reason.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
If you are uncertain about your riding skills then start practicing rutted turns and rutted straightaways. If the soil is moist, deep ruts will start developing within the first hour or two. But do not let this scare you, this will affect all racers and all teams, everyone will be slow and more careful. It is going to be a good fun challenge regardless.

I also have some sleep and nutrition tips that I'd like to share. Perhaps later, after you register your team.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
If you are uncertain about your riding skills then start practicing rutted turns and rutted straightaways. If the soil is moist, deep ruts start developing within the first hour or two. But do not let this scare you, this will affect all racers and all teams, everyone will be slow and more careful. It is going to be a good fun challenge regardless.

I also have some sleep and nutrition tips that I'd like to share. Perhaps later, after you register your team.
Any advice and suggestions would be welcome. At least for me this will be a completely new experience.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Have one coffee in the morning but leave pop, beer and nightime coffees until after the race.

Water alone is not enough. Gatorade is better, but I do not like the high sugar and high acidity. If you have a favorite sport electrolyte mix or drink, then drink that. My favorite is Pedyalite in dry powder packets, orange flavor. You can get it in any grocery store in baby nutrition sections. I also mix one packet before each stint into my 2-liter Camelbak.

Drink and then eat a small but complete meal right after each stint. Do not eat anything that can upset your stomach (dairy, spices, etc). A small carb, a protein, and a veggie portion is all you need. Veggies help with digestion and provide time-release hydration.

Lie down to rest and sleep for at least 30-60 minutes before each stint. Bring a friend or a significant other to prepare food and/or man the pits while you are resting.

scoott

We will be holding a 6hour team/Ironman race on September 14 at the Ridge. It starts at 4pm and runs until 10pm + one lap. Last hour or so in the dark. That course runs around 11 miles vs. the 24hrs 20 ish miles.

deadlines are: Sept15- Free t-shirts for team members ( up to 6 0n a team), Discounted entry ($350)
Oct. 1_ No free shirts, $350 team entry
after Oct 1- post entry - $450/team

Race length around 20 miles on 2 or 3 separate loops elapsed times can run from 25 to 45 ( dry to semi dry)
wet conditions can run hours.

If you can round up 6 teammates- , get them. You can share bikes, no extra bikes.

For a first time, I would allow the electrics to swap bikes at the end of first or second loop if needed for range requirements. ( Gas bikes must finish all loops or they lose the lap.) Breakdowns cause loss of lap.

Any questions/concerns feel free to contact me.

MrTaskRacing

Definitely a helmet light. Contact @MrTaskRacing. Pretty much all teams at NE24hr Challenge ran his lights.

I have come to a conclusion that for racing in the woods helmet lights are way more important than the bike light. They always shine exactly where you are looking.

Get two helmet lights and install them as low as you can on both sides of the helmet. One light on top of the helmet highlights everything in your line of sight right near your face (night bugs, 2-stroke smoke, rain), whereas lights that are installed on the side of the helmet do not do that.

The only good function the bike's light serve is to highlight the road bumps by creating shadows behind them. But once you stumble, lose your flow, and start making steering corrections left and right to stay on two wheels, the bright spot from the bike's light starts moving like crazy and can at times cause a disorientation.

I now understand exactly why Baja racers attach their huge bike lights not to the forks but to the frame. But it won't work well in tight woods.

Hi Phil --- Good advice. In terms of the bike lights being attached to the frame, that works great for Baja Racers that are mostly going in a straight line, plus attaching to the frame made those heavy lights more robust in terms of the mounting. Anything with a lot of turns and movement, it's always nice to have it on your forks, so you get light when/where you turn. I'm coming out with a new headlight bucket set up in the next 2 weeks that will be up on my website. Technically, it'll have 15 mounting adjustment positions! Should be a pretty cool set up! RP coming off the machine today!
Check it out at www.taskracing.com , going to work great!

Jared

Hi Phil --- Good advice. In terms of the bike lights being attached to the frame, that works great for Baja Racers that are mostly going in a straight line, plus attaching to the frame made those heavy lights more robust in terms of the mounting. Anything with a lot of turns and movement, it's always nice to have it on your forks, so you get light when/where you turn. I'm coming out with a new headlight bucket set up in the next 2 weeks that will be up on my website. Technically, it'll have 15 mounting adjustment positions! Should be a pretty cool set up! RP coming off the machine today!
Check it out at www.taskracing.com , going to work great!
If you need a fifth rider for the slow group, count me in. I will have to trek over to Moses Lake sometime in the next month to get my generator (wasn’t planning on that, but can do).

Jared

We will be holding a 6hour team/Ironman race on September 14 at the Ridge. It starts at 4pm and runs until 10pm + one lap. Last hour or so in the dark. That course runs around 11 miles vs. the 24hrs 20 ish miles.

deadlines are: Sept15- Free t-shirts for team members ( up to 6 0n a team), Discounted entry ($350)
Oct. 1_ No free shirts, $350 team entry
after Oct 1- post entry - $450/team

Race length around 20 miles on 2 or 3 separate loops elapsed times can run from 25 to 45 ( dry to semi dry)
wet conditions can run hours.

If you can round up 6 teammates- , get them. You can share bikes, no extra bikes.

For a first time, I would allow the electrics to swap bikes at the end of first or second loop if needed for range requirements. ( Gas bikes must finish all loops or they lose the lap.) Breakdowns cause loss of lap.

Any questions/concerns feel free to contact me.
I’m assuming we want to get the entry form submitted in time for the t-shirts. So who is collecting the entry fees from team members and sending off the form?

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
If you need a fifth rider for the slow group, count me in. I will have to trek over to Moses Lake sometime in the next month to get my generator (wasn’t planning on that, but can do).
It's starting to look like we may need a extra rider, many of the guys who were interested have disappeared...