24 Hours of Starvation Ridge in WA -- October 26 & 27, 2019 (new dates)

snydes

Staff member
Being a slower rider in the NE 24 race my experience with other riders being courteous as they passed was very good. Everyone passed respectfully and most would yell out a "thank you". With the Alta you can better judge their approach speed and anticipate when to make a little extra room for a minimum of lost time.

I do have a lot of unedited 360 degree helmet cam footage from the NE 24 hour race. It might help someone who is thinking about making a huge trip across country decide if they want to run that race. It's pretty boring to watch though.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
On an Alta it is harder to pass other people courteously than to let others pass you. Often they don't see you. Sometimes they do but do not let you by. Other times you may think they see you, but they don't. Yelling at them may work in your favor in some cases and against you in others.

I've had good and bad experiences passing other people. The good ones are quickly forgotten. The bad ones are more memorable.

Once I was paying too much attention at the guy I was trying to pass. I ended up cutting him off in the middle of a fast downhill because I mistaking thought the trail was making a sharp turn, LOL.

Another time I was following a guy for a while, and was pretty sure that he saw me but didn't think it was necessary to let me by on straightaways. So I stuck my nose in front of him in a slow turn and asked him to "HOLD ON", LOL. They I realised that it was the first time that he actually noticed me and had to struggle not to crash. It was really embarrassing both times.

bluefxstc

Here are the results of the race. I sent a thank you email to the race organizers and they sent me back a text file of the results. I imported the results and did some formatting. Not great, as the only way I could figure out how to delineate it was manually, but I have also attached the raw text file. Some of you electronic/data whizzes should be able to do a better job. In the excel file I highlighted our data and the other club teams we competed against. I also labeled the individual lap times for the rider and I think I got that accurately. I also hid some of the rows to make it easier to read our results, but if you want to see it you can easily unhide the rows. The individual team results start down on row 224 so scroll down to see the results.

Take aways from the data:
  1. Overall 48 out of 96 entries.
  2. Looks like we were 37:58 off the winner.
  3. @Jared & @revoltlution were our fast riders. @p0wn & @SuburbanDad were in the middle while @Redwolf and me were the teams slowest riders. As @SuburbanDad said, 2 fast riders, two medium riders and two slow riders all averaged out to a medium speed team.
  4. @p0wn did the first lap which was really 1.5 laps so he has the first two lap entries and the reason the fist lap time is less than all the others.
  5. We completed 28 laps.
  6. Sunset was was during @Redwolf second lap (#10) and it was fully dark during my second lap (#11).
  7. The sun started to come up during my final lap (#23) and actual sunrise was during @Jared's 4th lap (#24).
  8. @Jared did take the last lap as a closer because he was one of our fastest riders, we were trying to move up to 4th.
Looks like the forum will not allow me to upload a excel file so I uploaded it to a google drive. Here is a shareable link so you can download and look at the excel file if you want. The raw text file is attached.

Here is the email from the race organizers

We love the 24 Hour. Our favorite!! (even though we can't speak for a couple of days afterward)
Your bikes were amazing. They really snuck on you they were so quiet.
See you next year.

Awesome event and a great bunch of Alta riders to get to know, can't wait until next year.

Attachments

• OVERALL OCTOBER 26 AND 27 24 HOUR STARVATION RIDGE 24 HOUR TEAM RACE V2.TXT
    134.3 KB · Views: 5

Jared

Here are the results of the race. I sent a thank you email to the race organizers and they sent me back a text file of the results. I imported the results and did some formatting. Not great, as the only way I could figure out how to delineate it was manually, but I have also attached the raw text file. Some of you electronic/data whizzes should be able to do a better job. In the excel file I highlighted our data and the other club teams we competed against. I also labeled the individual lap times for the rider and I think I got that accurately. I also hid some of the rows to make it easier to read our results, but if you want to see it you can easily unhide the rows. The individual team results start down on row 224 so scroll down to see the results.

Take aways from the data:
  1. Overall 48 out of 96 entries.
  2. Looks like we were 37:58 off the winner.
  3. @Jared & @revoltlution were our fast riders. @p0wn & @SuburbanDad were in the middle while @Redwolf and me were the teams slowest riders. As @SuburbanDad said, 2 fast riders, two medium riders and two slow riders all averaged out to a medium speed team.
  4. @p0wn did the first lap which was really 1.5 laps so he has the first two lap entries and the reason the fist lap time is less than all the others.
  5. We completed 28 laps.
  6. Sunset was was during @Redwolf second lap (#10) and it was fully dark during my second lap (#11).
  7. The sun started to come up during my final lap (#23) and actual sunrise was during @Jared's 4th lap (#24).
  8. @Jared did take the last lap as a closer because he was one of our fastest riders, we were trying to move up to 4th.
Looks like the forum will not allow me to upload a excel file so I uploaded it to a google drive. Here is a shareable link so you can download and look at the excel file if you want. The raw text file is attached.

Here is the email from the race organizers

We love the 24 Hour. Our favorite!! (even though we can't speak for a couple of days afterward)
Your bikes were amazing. They really snuck on you they were so quiet.
See you next year.

Awesome event and a great bunch of Alta riders to get to know, can't wait until next year.
So average lap times if I did the math right: @p0wn 51:14, @revoltlution 43:31, @SuburbanDad 48:30, @Redwolf 72:36, @bluefxstc 56:06, and myself 44:27, and I owe @revoltlution $100 since I challenged a better lap time to follow my 2nd to last lap and he proceeded to go out and beat it by 13 seconds.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Congratulations, and great job everyone ! Thanks for sharing the adventure. Sounds like everyone had a great time.

Watching those videos was very strange for me. My only offroad night racing experience is in the Southeast U.S. where everything is tight, singletrack trails in the woods, and usually with lots of steep hills. That looked like screaming across the grassy steppes of Mongolia. I assume the course was beaten in pretty well before dark, otherwise it seems like it would have been easy to get hopelessly lost.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Congratulations, and great job everyone ! Thanks for sharing the adventure. Sounds like everyone had a great time.

Watching those videos was very strange for me. My only offroad night racing experience is in the Southeast U.S. where everything is tight, singletrack trails in the woods, and usually with lots of steep hills. That looked like screaming across the grassy steppes of Mongolia. I assume the course was beaten in pretty well before dark, otherwise it seems like it would have been easy to get hopelessly lost.
For everyone who has shared their adventures here for us to enjoy, it was only right for us to contribute for all.

And as for getting lost on the track, a couple times I came around a hill to be surprised to discover where I was, and what the next challenge was. Can't wait for next year.

F451

The West Coast guys should rent a box car, load the bikes and equipment, and ride the train back East. 3 days of relaxing, scenic views, beers and shooting the bull. Then unload in NY, rent a few Ryder trucks and kick ass at the race. No hotels, rest stops, greasy spoons or sleepless nights driving.

Have no idea if Amtrak has an option for it, but it would be cool if you could work something like that. They do seem to have "auto-train" options on some routes. (Auto Train Boarding and Vehicle Requirements) See America, ride electric dirt bikes, hang out with some friends. Anyway, just a thought. I know my old ass bones wouldn't handle two cross country trips and a 24 hour race in the middle.

This is a great idea, I've looked into this trip a number of times over the years but it always seems crazy expensive vs just hopping in your vehicle and bombing across country, or flying. I've never done any detailed estimates of the cost of the train vs driving/motel-ing, but the rough numbers don't look good to me from a cost perpective.

Of course there are so many benefits to the train that it might make it worth the extra expense (if in fact it is more expensive then driving/motel-ing).

I really wish it was more affordable though, I have lots of family back east so go back there regularly and I would love to take a train ride across country one of these times.