2020 Zero FX 7.2

OldJeepGuy

Apparently, there is a Zero e-bike dealer less than 5 miles from the house. I've been looking at reviews and have read a post on here about some differences between the bikes. My question is there going to be a noticeable difference in the Zero's 7.2 and the Alta's 5.8 power/torque and run times?

Clearly the Alta looks much better but the Zero has more range (longer run time). Around here (NE Okla), its entirely trail riding with changes in elevation less than 100 feet. I'm 260lbs and want to be able to ride 4-5 hours on a Saturday without worrying about pushing a bike back to trailer some "x" miles out.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
The Zero XMX platform is very much a enduro level bike.

Suspension, fit, finish, quality of parts are leaned more on the Alta side compared to the Zero. Zero does make an MX bike...but its more suited for military applications. Also the belt has had quality issues (quite a few owners have snapped belts). You will have more range, but also translates into the power/torque curves which are much lower compared to the Alta.

OldJeepGuy

Suspension, fit, finish, quality of parts are leaned more on the Alta side compared to the Zero. Zero does make an MX bike...but its more suited for military applications. Also the belt has had quality issues (quite a few owners have snapped belts). You will have more range, but also translates into the power/torque curves which are much lower compared to the Alta.

Thank you. I looked up on YouTube and seems the chain conversion is a must for that bike. Not complicated but already adding $ to an $11k bike. I'm more worried about ride time on the 5.8. Seems the guys on here selling theirs are because they need more distance. Otherwise they love the bike and would never part. I'm just getting back into riding after a 25 year hiatus. So I imagine a few hours and I will be fine. But, I don't expect I will be ripping up anything. More just a leisurely stroll.

Oded

I had a Zero FX for 3 years and used it for dirt riding only.
The 5.8 battery version last about the same as the Redshift's battery. The newer FX have larger capacity batteries.
4-5 hours of trail riding is unrealistic IMO. Slow technical enduro may last that long.

Chain conversion is a must, and works well. Very noisy though.

The FX is a more comfortable bike, but not hard core worthy as the Redshift.
Powerwise, both have plenty, never felt shortage.

wwmotors

I had a zero FX 5,8 for 5 years. Not really good ergonomy. Position of the footpegs to seat and to steeringbar is strange. Used it only as a commuter since i heard, that the frames are breaking on the steering head, when You jump the bike. Belt is not practicable for enduro. Always slips off offroad. I changed then to a chaindrive. Way better.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire

Is there a new XMX platform Zero makes? I have never seen it.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire