CANCELED......2020 NE 24hr Challenge! July 18th & 19st 2020 Team AltaOwnersForum.com

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Canceled for 2020 due to the pandemic.

Registrations will carry over to the 2021 race or you can get a refund.

Who's up for the 2020 NE 24hr Challenge? This years event is July 18 & 19th, 2020.

This time we know what we're doing. We know what to bring. We know what not to bring. We'll be better organized.

We need 5-6 Alta riders to make up a team.

Here's who's in:

@OneLapper
@Matt
@Philip

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Ok, that's two guys! And a spare bike for parts! LOL. Fortunately we had zero bike problems last year!

So right now @Matt and I can sign up for the Duo Team! Unfortunately, the charge time will be an issue. The laps are around 35-40 minutes, but the recharge time is about 2 hours. Some quick cocktail napkin math and a duo team could get 4 laps (alternating/charging) complete then need to charge from 25 to 100% at around 1:15 which no one is riding. Rough math, again, we could get 4 laps in 5:15hr, which would be 19 laps over the 24 hours.

We'll revise the math when more people join up!

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Ok! Go ahead and tell me I'm crazy, but @Matt and I are considering a Duo Team. On Altas.

So after some serious calculations and wild estimates, it just might be possible to get two laps on a full charge. IF that can be done, that would put the rider out there for about 80 minutes. 80 minutes is close to a full charge with the rapid charger on 240vac, right? We'd have to cut the balance stage short, but it with some experimenting we can test our numbers.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Wow, that's cutting it close. Time to practice your hyper-miling race technique!

I've spent a year trying to master this. I'd have to say I've got the minimizing wheel spin down. Carrying momentum into and through the corners is a bit tougher! But I work on it and see an improvement in my speed and energy use.

bluefxstc

Can't commit just yet, it is a 2000 mile drive and months away, but very seriously considering. Could probably be convinced if there are not enough riders on the east coast to build a team.

F451

If the dates weren't so close to my wife's birthday, I would be very tempted to join...

Birthday in Manhattan! Race in upstate! Upstate is beautiful, a nice drive. Brutally hot and humid in July, but beautiful, Lol.

Manhattan restaurants, Broadway shows, shopping! Women love it! Win, win!

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Birthday in Manhattan! Race in upstate! Upstate is beautiful, a nice drive. Brutally hot and humid in July, but beautiful, Lol.

Manhattan restaurants, Broadway shows, shopping! Women love it! Win, win!
Not my wife, Manhattan and Broadway are her nightmare stuff. She would prefer to be out in the woods camping and riding. I just might be one of the luckiest guys ever!

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
So what's the problem, camp on the drive across the country, camp at the race, and then camp on the drive back. Perfect!!! :ricky:
She told me to go and have fun, she'll stay home with the dogs. So I have a spare seat in my van if someone wants a ride.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Yup, @snydes is spot on.

If you guy want to do this event you'll need to get the application in the mail by Saturday. It sells out in 3 or 4 days. They'll announce that applications need to be post marked by a certain day. If it was mailed a day after, it's not accepted.