2019 MXR buying on Monday

funonemax

So I test road an Alta twice over a year ago. I own a 2014 KTM 300 EX and a 250 exc, I keep the 250 on the west coast at my brothers and recently relocated the 300. I have wanted an Alta ever since they came out, after the test ride I sourced the money and started to prepare for my drive to pick on up. The factory closed down 2 days before my purchase day and that scared me off...and it also gave me many a night laying there remembering how fun it was to ride one. Well, I put a down payment on one (2019 MXR) and I am going to pick it up Monday night (Nov 4th 2019)

I really do not have any questions yet. I am not too worried about the battery, maybe I need to build the can-bus/port/multi tool but first I think I am just going to ride it. I want to put a good 3 hours on it and just soak it up. I am curious about sorting the suspension out for my hefty self at 200# but for now its just enjoy. Hope to see other Alta's (or electric bikes) out on the trail!

Good to join the community, warm regards.

Max

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the club, Max!

I like your plan. Ride and enjoy it!

You will find the suspension to be quite satisfactory for your weight. I also weigh 200# and I run the stock rear spring. I tried going a step stiffer (63N/mm), but that only worked for me on jumpy supercross style tracks. The stock MXR suspension is fine for motocross and trail riding.

funonemax

Thank you for the input, appreciated. I really only trail ride single track. I think the only thing that I may add is a headlight. Will look for some aftermarket LED unit now that the daylight hours are shorter, after a few good days on it of course. I am in GA in case any other riders are around my neck of the woods and want to join up.

F451

Welcome to the club, Max!

I like your plan. Ride and enjoy it!

You will find the suspension to be quite satisfactory for your weight. I also weigh 200# and I run the stock rear spring. I tried going a step stiffer (63N/mm), but that only worked for me on jumpy supercross style tracks. The stock MXR suspension is fine for motocross and trail riding.

That was my experience with the suspension on my '18 MXR, works fine stock for my type of single track riding. I'm a medium speed/skill set rider I would say. 210 lbs or so.

And I was in the exact same boat as you, a test ride, waited a while, then decided to buy one, they went belly up the NEXT morning. I couldn't stop thinking about them so bought a used MXR after they were out of business. I love my Alta, so glad I decided to get it.

If you need any spares: Items for sale by liquid_performance | eBay

Congrats on the new Alta! -Eddie

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Welcome to the forum and the somewhat exclusive club of Redshift owners.

I agree with the above posts about suspension. Not surprisingly, your results will depend on the type of riding you do. If you are a very fast enduro, hare scramble, or MX rider then you will benefit from slightly stiffer springs and more targeted valving. If you are a very fast rider then you probably already know that. For general woods riding and not-too-competitive MX you'll probably be OK with the stock components adjusted to match your riding. The starting point should be correctly setting the rear sag.

I am not particularly fast, but I am 6'-3" with long arms and weigh 215 pounds plus gear, so I had the suspension on both of my ALTAs upgraded by KTM World. It was probably not necessary, but it is a definite improvement over stock. I am not fond of crashing so I will take all the help I can get !

I just wish there was a relatively simple way to add a steering stabilizer to these bikes.

funonemax

If you need any technical help, I am also in GA and can provide some support if needed.
Thanks Datadog, appreciated. Looking forward to learning more as I go along. I think the first thing I need to do is hop on over to Harbor Freight and grab a "Predator 6500" generator for the rapid charger. Then it is protection for the bike...looks like it needs a decent set up, then maybe a headlight so I can ride out at night as it seems to be getting dark quick. Fun times ahead (really on any bike...)

funonemax

Welcome to the forum and the somewhat exclusive club of Redshift owners.

I agree with the above posts about suspension. Not surprisingly, your results will depend on the type of riding you do. If you are a very fast enduro, hare scramble, or MX rider then you will benefit from slightly stiffer springs and more targeted valving. If you are a very fast rider then you probably already know that. For general woods riding and not-too-competitive MX you'll probably be OK with the stock components adjusted to match your riding. The starting point should be correctly setting the rear sag.

I am not particularly fast, but I am 6'-3" with long arms and weigh 215 pounds plus gear, so I had the suspension on both of my ALTAs upgraded by KTM World. It was probably not necessary, but it is a definite improvement over stock. I am not fond of crashing so I will take all the help I can get !

I just wish there was a relatively simple way to add a steering stabilizer to these bikes.

I am probably going to send for Jeff Slavens "Mule" front fork kit. We weigh the same and ride at the same level. I have been wanting to try them for a while, and I agree that a good suspension is just about the same as riding in full body armor. It's smart money for safety sake!

Brent421

So I test road an Alta twice over a year ago. I own a 2014 KTM 300 EX and a 250 exc, I keep the 250 on the west coast at my brothers and recently relocated the 300. I have wanted an Alta ever since they came out, after the test ride I sourced the money and started to prepare for my drive to pick on up. The factory closed down 2 days before my purchase day and that scared me off...and it also gave me many a night laying there remembering how fun it was to ride one. Well, I put a down payment on one (2019 MXR) and I am going to pick it up Monday night (Nov 4th 2019)

I really do not have any questions yet. I am not too worried about the battery, maybe I need to build the can-bus/port/multi tool but first I think I am just going to ride it. I want to put a good 3 hours on it and just soak it up. I am curious about sorting the suspension out for my hefty self at 200# but for now its just enjoy. Hope to see other Alta's (or electric bikes) out on the trail!

Good to join the community, warm regards.

Max
Welcome! I just bought a 2019 MXR about 3 months ago and it’s an amazing bike, you’re going to love it. So amazing that I’m thinking of buying a second one. Do you know if the dealer you’re getting it from has any others left for sale?

funonemax

Welcome! I just bought a 2019 MXR about 3 months ago and it’s an amazing bike, you’re going to love it. So amazing that I’m thinking of buying a second one. Do you know if the dealer you’re getting it from has any others left for sale?

Hi Brent, I sourced this one privately. Cycle trader has a few new ones listed though

funonemax

So has anyone hooked up the "RAPID" charger to a Harbor Freight Predator 6500 generator? Does the 220 outlet do the trick? It is either that option or spend double on the B&S Q6500 which is of course lighter and probably better built all around.

schwankl

So has anyone hooked up the "RAPID" charger to a Harbor Freight Predator 6500 generator? Does the 220 outlet do the trick? It is either that option or spend double on the B&S Q6500 which is of course lighter and probably better built all around.
The harbor freight 4000 works fine too (with rapid charger at 220v full charge rate) - There are several good threads about generators - do a quick search.

funonemax

The harbor freight 4000 works fine too (with rapid charger at 220v full charge rate) - There are several good threads about generators - do a quick search.

Thanks for the input I will have to check out the 4000. Yes, I indeed did a quick search if that is how you want to define quick...6 pages of on one thread of not really concise information or conclusions plus all dated 2.5 to 3 years old so I had not been able to find any results of actual Rapid charging use from a Harbor Freight model experience. I will head out and grab one of these to give it a go and report back my experience after a 6 months of use or so. I like to collect data so this should be fun for me!

Christian

Yeah there’s one in Utah for $10,500

snydes

Staff member

We have several members using those Predators, and also a few with the Q6500. Both work with the 3.3kw charger although if memory serves I think there is a grounding modification that needs to be made the the Briggs for the super finicky charger GFCI. The Q6500 is an inverter genererator that will be a good bit quieter than the open frame Predator.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I wouldn't recommend the Predator 4000/3200 to anyone anymore. Mine trips the 13A breaker from time to time using the rapid charger on 220/240v. Super annoying.

Anyone needing a generator should look for at least a true 3500 running watts (220-240v 15A) per bike.

Brent421

I run the Briggs and Stratton Q6500 with my quick charger and it’s absolutely flawless. Doesn’t even go past 50% power use when running the quick charger and two large fans. It’s also whisper quiet when the QPT switch is on and you’re not running massive loads. It’s still not as loud as most generators when running large loads. I highly recommend it.

Matt

E-Rider
I have a preditor 8750 that works well. It came with the bike when I bought it. Loud but does the job and I haven't had any issues. Doubles as a backup for basically all the everything in my house ha