Owner's Review 2019 Alta EXR Ride Review on MX track and EXR vs '19 300XC on a woods Loop: Silent Eagle!

mxengineer1

Picked up a new 2019 Alta EXR from Extreme Action Sports in New Philadelphia, Ohio (thanks Jeff!). I've got about 50 miles on it so far. I rode it around the swap meet at Vintage Days at Mid Ohio on Friday. Took it on some trails near my house. I rode moto yesterday so brought the EXR with me to spin some laps and get a feel for the bike on a MX track. I know it is not set up for moto but it was very fun! I will get it into the woods soon and follow up with more feedback. Some impressions from my initial rides and the ride at a local moto track:

The suspension is PLUSH!!! Feels very soft. Too soft for moto but should work well in the woods. I rode on some off road choppy stuff around the track that gave me a lot of feedback on from the suspension on my 19 KTM 300XC - could not even feel it on the Alta EXR. Power is map 1 is useful on tight trails. Map 2 is fast on the tight trails but controllable. Map 3 is like a tuned up Map 2 and Map 4 is really fast. I felt there was enough power riding Map 2 on a dry hardpack and slippery MX track. The total lack of vibration is instantly noticeable. The power and acceleration are so smooth and strong. Tire traction was tricky at times with the motor spinning up quickly if the tire breaks loose. There is so little inertia in the motor and drive system. The agility in changing directions is amazing - almost 125 like. You can still feel the weight of the bike - mostly in braking. Jumping felt very normal. Rear brake is touchy - the return spring is too weak so modulation difficult.

In terms of battery life ride time today was 1.2 hours (about 20 miles) and there was 1 blinking bar of charge remaining in the battery. I spent most of the time in Map 2 but also played with Map 3 and Map 4 and my son did some laps mostly in Map 3.

This is my the first ride on the EXR. This bike is very easy to jump on and ride. Yet it is also very different - the power is so smooth and friction free feeling - and the total lack of vibration and noise gives a totally different riding experience. Looking forward to many more rides on the EXR!

Here is the section of MX track I was playing on today and a few pics….

IMG_5702-1_zps2v3usy1z.jpg

IMG_1963_2_zpsk34pf42d.jpg

AAIMG_1975_zpsznwpdodi.jpg

Fod

Sound like the EXR has the same suspension settings as the MXR! :ROFLMAO:

mxengineer1

2019 Alta EXR vs 2019 KTM 300XC! I rode both of my bikes on a short woods loop today back to back. Electric vs ICE! Fun to ride the all new EXR in the woods. The super soft suspension was not much of an issue on this loop (pretty smooth and soft dirt). I am very comfortable riding Husky/KTM 300cc 2-strokes and they are my favorite do it all dirt bikes. I owned the 18 TX300 and now the 19 300XC. I was very curious to ride my new Alta EXR in the woods and also see how the EXR lap times compared to the 300XC. The EXR more than held it's own today! Even with stock EXR Metzler 6-Days DOT approved tires pumped up to 18 psi (no rim locks) the bike found traction and turned in a 3:22 lap time against a 3:27 lap time on my 300XC. Not bad for only my second ride on the EXR! Biggest issue on the EXR today was rear brake modulation. Looks like Faast Company brake spring is a quick fix (thank for the tip Fog 25). So much to learn about the EXR. Looking forward to more rides soon! A few pics from today and a GoPro of a lap of the woods loop I rode today...

IMG_5726_zps3tjelmlf.jpg

IMG_5734_zps0e2ommit.jpg

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I would recommend skipping the pedal spring & installing a left hand rear brake lever - much more modulation - I think your lap times may improve significantly then ;)

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I would recommend skipping the pedal spring & installing a left hand rear brake lever - much more modulation - I think your lap times may improve significantly then ;)

I'm not the first to mention this on the forum (can't seem to find the person or the post in a quick search), but I took the rear brake lever off and cleaned out the thick white pasty grease installed at the factory and used a Maxima water proof grease for the reassembly. The factory stuff seems to dry out and gets gummy which causes the brake lever to return slowly. With the fresh, thinner grease the brake level snaps back as it should.

I'm still planning to install the LHRB lever I put together, but I will be keeping the foot brake lever.

mxengineer1

I'm not the first to mention this on the forum (can't seem to find the person or the post in a quick search), but I took the rear brake lever off and cleaned out the thick white pasty grease installed at the factory and used a Maxima water proof grease for the reassembly. The factory stuff seems to dry out and gets gummy which causes the brake lever to return slowly. With the fresh, thinner grease the brake level snaps back as it should.

I'm still planning to install the LHRB lever I put together, but I will be keeping the foot brake lever.

Thanks for the tip - I'll take it apart and clean it and see how it works.