Want to buy 2018 MXR

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
What’s the value of a good condition 2018 MXR with 900 miles?

Supply and demand. Keep in mind there are less than 1000 Altas in total worldwide. The bike is worth what a buyer is willing to pay. We've seen used EXRs sell for upwards of 11k. MXR, 10k should be the asking price IMO. These bikes don't really deteriorate.

testus191

I know final drive, brake, and suspension are KTM parts. Primarily concerned with the Alta proprietary parts? Anyway of having the battery repaired, inverter/controller, motor, any replacement plastics options?

snydes

Staff member
Some of our biggest assets at this point is the former Alta guys that help out on here and the fact that Alta had a HUGE inventory that a liquidator purchased and sells on eBay (and they are members here on this forum as well). Plastic isn't really an issue at this point, there are some challenges in the rare case of battery problems but at this point there has not been an issue that we haven't collectively worked through. Market is strong on these right now and when one comes up it goes fast. To answer your question based on what I've seen I'd say 9-10k average on a good 18 MXR.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
What happens if the motor, battery, or inverter goes out? Would an owner just be reliant on finding a bike being parted out?

The motor rarely fails as well as the inverter. The battery has been the culprit (early wire-bond tech/process issues) and those have been fixed with a mix of using spare batteries and cannibalized packs. Success? Decent. Based on my data I have seen decent results.

testus191

On a more long term basis is there much hope? Or are these bikes on a timeline with an expiration date? The cells in the battery should only have like 500 cycles. And I do agree, the battery is the weak link

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
On a more long term basis is there much hope? Or are these bikes on a timeline with an expiration date? The cells in the battery should only have like 500 cycles. And I do agree, the battery is the weak link

Does the BMS and inverter talk to each other in a proprietary manner? Any possibility for a replacement pack as tech evolves?

18650s should last based on the testing we did for 5+ years (similar to Tesla packs, its the same batteries circa 2014ish to 2018 cells in the Model S)

The entire Alta Redshift powertrain is proprietary. If there is a company that can create a replacement pack its possible, but for a population of 1000ish bikes with mixed pack chemistries/harnesses that company is taking a bigish option on initial costs.

Top Bottom