2018 Alta MX.......Should I buy?

Fourth_Floor

I've been a fan of these bikes since they came out and now I have the opportunity to finally buy one. I have my eyes on a brand new 2018 Alta Redshift MX for $7000 plus the charger. Are there any known issues with these bikes? I've read about some wirebond issues with the MXR battery packs but haven't seen anything about the regular MX version. The dealer said the bike has all the latest firmware upgrades so should I do it? I really freaking want this thing, but don't want to walk into a bunch of issues if it can be avoided.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Go for it! First things first, get that suspension redone. Its grossly under damped for anything other than trail riding IMO.

AFAIK, the A packs weren't subject to wirebond issues since the original bonder/welder was designed for the panasonic cells in the A packs. Those cells were "a hair" taller than the sony cells in the R packs.

Fourth_Floor

Buy it. I see you are in PA. If you are a reasonable distance from Edinboro, PA you can ride at my place any time on an Alta.
Wow man, I appreciate that!! I'm about 2 or so hours South of Edinboro so I'll definitely hit you up on that sometime. Buying this bike today as soon as the dealership opens haha. I'm beyond pumped. I've ridden dirtbikes for most of my life then took a substantial hiatus once I started my family and my business. A few years ago I got the itch to ride again and got a used 450 and much to my surprise all the tracks and riding areas are either gone or everything got posted by state game lands. I have a little bit of land, big enough for a small track but have close neighbors so electric was a must for me, there is no other option. I did buy one of those Sur Ron over the summer just to play around on but kept breaking the damn thing.

Mikec265

Wow man, I appreciate that!! I'm about 2 or so hours South of Edinboro so I'll definitely hit you up on that sometime. Buying this bike today as soon as the dealership opens haha. I'm beyond pumped. I've ridden dirtbikes for most of my life then took a substantial hiatus once I started my family and my business. A few years ago I got the itch to ride again and got a used 450 and much to my surprise all the tracks and riding areas are either gone or everything got posted by state game lands. I have a little bit of land, big enough for a small track but have close neighbors so electric was a must for me, there is no other option. I did buy one of those Sur Ron over the summer just to play around on but kept breaking the damn thing.
What kept breaking on the Sur-Ron?

Mikec265

I was really beating on it, trying to ride it like a MX bike, jumping stuff I shouldn't have been lol.
Thank you. You saved me some money! I've been interested in one, but afraid of my 230 pound ass destroying it. I'll stick to my old 2003 frankenpitbike, CRF150f with CR85 suspension, Excell wheels, and a lifan 200cc. Something quieter would be nice tho.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I was really beating on it, trying to ride it like a MX bike, jumping stuff I shouldn't have been lol.

I see on the Sur-ron owners facebook forum that there is a guy making new rear linkages. They look a bit beefier. I think his name is Mike Cronin, and I think he said he is in NE PA.

1570572424508.jpg

snydes

Staff member
We should start a PA group. I am in Warrendale, below Cranberry Twp. By the way I love mine and haven't fired up my KTM Freeride since I got the first Alta.

It appears there are a growing number of us PA guys (and gals). I'm north of Harrisburg in NE PA coal country, right near the infamous "Tower City" if anyone is familiar with the area.

@Fourth_Floor , sounds like you found yourself a good deal IMO.

Trialsman

Privateer, if you like single track, look me up when you get here. There still is some phenomenal riding in the area and we have a very active group who takes full advantage.

privateer703

AOF Addict
The only place (public) I'm aware of in the immediate area is the Mines and Meadows ATV park which does boast 8 miles of single track. Are there other places in the area that offer single track (private/outlaw)?

Mikec265

I will be moving to Cranberry Twp in the next 4-6 months, living in Altoona currently.
We try to ride at least every 2 weeks at the Switchback indoor track near Butler in the winter. The owners of the track got in pretty big trouble, but as far as I know it is still open.

Trialsman

Harmarville has always been great as well as Kittaninning, Blairesville, Plum, Streets Run, and others. If you become a member in RCR or TRCR it opens up more like Sunset Rider's, Five Star, and you can also join ICV. Some of the best enduro riders and Six-Days medalists came from this area.

Fourth_Floor

My Alta is on its way to me!! Funny story but the 2018 MX I was going to buy ended up getting sold last Saturday but I ended up finding a brand new 2017 Redshift MX, also in Texas, with the fast charger for $7500. I was off work yesterday with a nasty flu (seriously haven't been that sick in 15 years) and had to time running to the bank to wire the money in between throwing up lol. Hell or high water I was getting this bike.