2017 vs. 2018 Battery Packs (differences?)

allesad

I watched recent video review of the ALTA.
It mentioned that the 2018 MXR has a new battery design. (see 2:50 mark).

Is anyone aware of this claim?

I am looking at purchasing a used 2017 MX. Is there a difference in design and range for the MX of did the MXR get the changes??
I also heard the there was a firmware upgrade between 2017 and 2018. Any Insights? Can an owner upgrade the firmware or is it a dealer function?

THX!

snydes

Staff member
I think it is still a 5.8kw pack so no additional power to make you go farther, just the ability for more current which gives the bike more torque and makes it faster.

Agreed. From everything I’ve heard up to this point the range is the same with the MXR.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I can confirm that even at the track the MXR does not last any longer. I could do exactly 3 practice sessions on either bike.

Logically, with the same battery capacity, but with the reported ability to discharge quicker and throw more roost (waste power), the MXR should last shorter. Battery performance reduction due to overheating has not been a common factor, in my experience.

It is strange, but in Map 2 my two bikes felt exactly the same at three different tracks!

I think my MXR sometimes feels like it has more power because it spins up its stock skinny rear tire quite easily, much easier than my wider MX tire, which I also run with a lower tire pressure to help with traction. But I was able to clear all the same jumps with all the same success on both bikes.

Perhaps the lack of low-speed shock damping on the stock MXR also makes it a poor jumper. I feel much more in control on my MX.

I am going to try both of them in Map 4 tomorrow and see if it works any different. There is one seat bounce jump that I was having a problem clearing today.

I suspect that Alta under-rated the power on the MX (in hoped of fitting into the 250cc class) and over-rated the power on the MXR for marketing reasons. There is no way that the two bikes have a 8hp power difference. I am going to try drag racing both bikes tomorrow to find out for sure.

Josh402

Looking forward to the report today. Even though I’m at a beginner mx level, I feel like I should’ve got the mxr just for the better suspension. But my mx’s power... more than abundant for me.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Looking forward to the report today. Even though I’m at a beginner mx level, I feel like I should’ve got the mxr just for the better suspension. But my mx’s power... more than abundant for me.
The (not totally) unexpected conclusion that we reached today was that the MX and the MXR have the exact same power. If there is any difference at all, then it can be easily eclipsed by the rider right wrist's throttle twisting skill.

I will be posting a video soon. Just need to learn how to merge two video files together, I am not a pro video editor.

snydes

Staff member
When speaking with an Alta regional rep back in the end of February, he rationalized that the MXR's improvements in power would be most realized by a top level guy in a high power draw type scenario. My demo ride was on a 2017 MX and while I didn't ride back to back with the MXR I ended up getting, I am sure that the 2017's power would have been more than enough for me.