2017 Alta MX not charging (code 103)

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I'm actually surprised some of our Pennsylvania local members like @snydes @mrs. snydes, @Mikec265 or @Trialsman haven't chimed in. Any of you guys close to NW Pennsylvania? I assume you have Multitool and a spare charger to help test with? Don't want to volunteer anyone, but always easier to test locally with a knowledgeable Alta veteran.

snydes

Staff member
I'm actually surprised some of our Pennsylvania local members like @snydes @mrs. snydes, @Mikec265 or @Trialsman haven't chimed in. Any of you guys close to NW Pennsylvania? I assume you have Multitool and a spare charger to help test with? Don't want to volunteer anyone, but always easier to test locally with a knowledgeable Alta veteran.

I'm probably 3-4 hours away unfortunately. @Fourth_Floor , you will be well served getting yourself set up with a laptop in the long run. Should you need help, and you really like driving, I'm here and would do what I can to assist.

Exact same issue here, EX with a 3.3kw charger;
Code 103.....again

Fourth_Floor

I'm probably 3-4 hours away unfortunately. @Fourth_Floor , you will be well served getting yourself set up with a laptop in the long run. Should you need help, and you really like driving, I'm here and would do what I can to assist.

Exact same issue here, EX with a 3.3kw charger;
Code 103.....again
I appreciate that offer! I'm feeling optimistic that after I get the cables in and update the firmware I will be back in business. I ordered the Alta cable from the store here. How long do these usually take to ship?

Fourth_Floor

I tried getting a head start last night on getting multi tool set up on my desktop at home. I have never heard of Oracle or Ubuntu so within the first 3 minutes of the how to video that is on here I was completely lost. I'm going to attach screenshots of the download pages so maybe someone can help. Which thing am I supposed to download? How do you download and run Ubuntu in the virtual box?

oracle.jpg

ubuntu.jpg

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Its going to be a bit technical as you have to change the operating system on your laptop from windows to Ubuntu. A virtual machine can work, it does get a bit slow when functioning as its running both windows and Ubuntu at the same time. Your best bet is to image a laptop to Ubuntu and run MT from there.

Fourth_Floor

Its going to be a bit technical as you have to change the operating system on your laptop from windows to Ubuntu. A virtual machine can work, it does get a bit slow when functioning as its running both windows and Ubuntu at the same time. Your best bet is to image a laptop to Ubuntu and run MT from there.
I think I'm just going to buy a cheap laptop. What are the bare minimum requirements I need if I were to go to Wal Mart and pick up a lap top just for this bike?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
@Fourth_Floor Regarding which virtual box to download, assuming you have a windows based laptop, click this link to download it, and then install it.

1571942420785.png

Regarding which Ubuntu operating system to use, I used 18.04 LTS in my tutorial. Click here to download that version.

After you have done both of those, open/run the Oracle Virtual Box application and then follow my instructions starting at 2:05 in the video. I explain exactly how to set up a new virtual machine and install ubuntu. It really doesn't get much easier than that.

If you're still having trouble, i'd be willing set everything up for you via a screen sharing session where i remotely control your computer. Let me know if you want to do that.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator

If you go with the Thinkpad/Yoga 11E that @Rashid510 listed above, you'll want to just install Ubuntu. I found that 4GB wasn't enough to run VirtualBox under Windows, as it was just too slow to even install Ubuntu. I had to update the machine to the max (8GB) of RAM to run it at all, and it wasn't fast, but acceptable for my purposes. So, if you want to go the Windows and VirtualBox method, you want 8GB or more or RAM.

Also to use VirtualBox, my lessons learned include enabling Virtualization in the BIOS, and disabling Hyper-V in Windows.

snydes

Staff member
There are different flavors of Ubuntu as well. I had an essentially useless for anything else 15+ year old Toshiba laptop laying around that I installed Lubuntu on (which is a lightweight version of Ubuntu) and am running Multi Tool just fine. I would however defer to the advise of TCMB371 and follow his instruction. When it comes to computers I only know enough to be dangerous.

VINSANITY

There are different flavors of Ubuntu as well. I had an essentially useless for anything else 15+ year old Toshiba laptop laying around that I installed Lubuntu on (which is a lightweight version of Ubuntu) and am running Multi Tool just fine. I would however defer to the advise of TCMB371 and follow his instruction. When it comes to computers I only know enough to be dangerous.
I bought a Lenovo with Linux mint operating system. I did all the install steps but when I got to the point to open the engineering file I couldn’t figure out how to do it - The file is on the computer but I can’t figure out how to open and install it

Any help is appreciated

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Yeah, really any Linux distribution should work fine for MultiTool purposes. Ubuntu (Funduntu, Lubuntu, etc), Mint, Tails, CentOS, Fedora, the list goes on and on.

My personal preference for my Linux work is mostly Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server, and PureOS.

If you don't know what you're doing, i recommend just using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and following my instructions exactly.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I purchased a new Lenovo 11e off ebay, a leftover school system laptop from a canceled contract.

If TCMB371 had offered to remotely setup my system, I'd had thrown the money at him!!

schwankl

Any ideas why this is unable to locate python-crcmod?
It's not a debian/ubuntu package - don't use apt-get, use pip:
pip install crcmod
or maybe you can on ubuntu 16.04 - try:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-crcmod

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Schwanks suggestions should fix your issue . You prob didn't install the laundry list of Ubuntu package updates before running through the tutorial.