2004 ECRF

Bob Casper

I have a few questions and hope someone can help me out. Bike is running good and getting better. I am able to get 10 minutes of hard track riding. After that, the bike gets slower. I slow down and stop for just a minute. I do not even have to turn off the main power. I can go out and the bike has power again. After just a few minutes, it slows down again. Same procedure and power comes back. Motor is water cooled and running cool, controller is air cooled with good airflow. Any ideas? Thanks, Bob

Mark911

Setup a data log on battery volts, battery amps, motor amps, controller temp and all your cutbacks then run it until it slows, etc. Should be able to see what's going on. I assume you have an ASI controller.

Bob Casper

Yes, ASI. I do not have the knowledge to set up much on the controller. Very new to the E world. I will do some research and try to learn the proper functions to log data. Thanks Mark

Electricride

I have the same problem with a Me 1304 and a Sevcon gen4 size 4 Controller. Maybee you can play a bit with the encoder timing on the motor , that helped a lot. Or if possible set the overheating temperature to 130C at the ASI, but this motor lean to overheat very fast

Mark911

Yes, ASI. I do not have the knowledge to set up much on the controller. Very new to the E world. I will do some research and try to learn the proper functions to log data. Thanks Mark
If you have the proper access from ASI you can use the mobile BACDOOR app. The App is initially setup for general use and has lots of crap you never use or stuff that not applicable. Luckily, its customizable. You can add/remove individual parameters under the given tabs or add your own headers/groups. To add/remove first choose one of the main "live feeds". Then simply long hold your finger on the title or any of the sub group tabs. A menu should pop up where you can customize your settings in a number of ways. Select "add parameter" and the list of ALL parameters will pop up. You can use the search field to help find the one(s) you want to add. You can also long hold your finger on any parameter and you'll get a pop up where you can insert, remove or get information on that particular parameter. If you long hold on a summary tab or group you'll get a list of options which will include "Open Chart", that's where you'll start, stop and read any logable parameter that's listed under that particular summary. It helps to have a larger screen device so you can read all the info. Once you start logging, just put your device in your pocket and ride! Bluetooth does the rest. I'm not sure how big a file it'll (or your device) will hold, but I assume there's a reasonable limit, so keep the number of parameters as few as possible.

Mark911

Very clean conversion. The Sevcon has tables for setting motor temperature cutbacks, but make sure you calibrate whatever sensors you have. There's also a setting to disable the motor temp sensor and the controller will use it's internal algorithm to predict/calculate motor temps based on load.

Dain_SSE

I'm nearly finished with a small gearbox that I'll be mounting to my ME1304 giving me a total reduction of 10:1, after testing with 6.6:1 I'm convinced that a much more significant ratio is needed to get amps down enough to actually deal with all of the heat the motor and controller are making. Running 100V and Sevcon S6.

Bob Casper

I can't imagine a ratio that low. How many amps are you putting to the motor at 6.6 to 1? At 5.7 to 1, my bike has plenty of torque to get around the track. Are you lowering the ratio to load the motor less? How many RPM's is your motor spinning? What top speed will you get at 10-1? Thanks, Bob

Dain_SSE

Bob - amperage I am pulling 450 from the battery in bursts. Even at 10:1, 60mph puts the motor around 5krpm, I rarely reach 50mph on any track, I am chasing 450F power so the high ratio is critical since the ME1304 can only do ~.13Nm/A.

DonCox

Bob - amperage I am pulling 450 from the battery in bursts. Even at 10:1, 60mph puts the motor around 5krpm, I rarely reach 50mph on any track, I am chasing 450F power so the high ratio is critical since the ME1304 can only do ~.13Nm/A.
Dain have you looked at the ME1803. According to John at Motoenergy, it will spin up to 8000rpms. He says also that at 100V it will spin 6000 rpm. It should also bolt right in. It is watercooled and has a center magnet rotor. John can give you more info if your interested.

ME1803 Information.jpg

Attachments

• ME1803 Water Cooled.pdf
    131.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Performance Plot ME1718, ME1719, ME1803.pdf
    545.9 KB · Views: 1

Dain_SSE

Don - Yes, I have seen that motor, in fact I have one new in box for another project. Torque constant is similar and peak power is lower, but it does spin faster.

20210722_170207.jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Are you guys talking about the same ratio? On the Alta the primary reduction ratio is 3.5 : 1, and the motor spins at ~14,000 RPM.

Does 10 :1 include the chain drive ratio?

Bob Casper

Thinking about selling my Ebike conversion. I would like to sell the frame, motor, controller, reduction shaft, water pump, battery fan and 72v to 12v converter, Basically it would be without wheels, suspension, plastics, seat, swingarm or battery. Take a look at the photos in the thread and if you have any questions, let me know. Thanks

Bob Casper

Not a lot of thought but 3k or so is probably close. All the wiring and connections along with the parts. The bolt on parts to a frame like a regular bike and add battery.