2004 ECRF

Bob Casper

Well after a year plus of working on the ECRF, it finally rolls on its own. I first of all want to Thank Don Cox for the patience, knowledge and guidance with my build. He has became a good friend and the first ride was fitting to be out in the AZ desert with him. With an ME1304 motor, ASI BAC 8000 controller, 450 amp 40AH battery and 5.7 to 1 reduction, it was a fun short shake down ride. The battery is removable thru the top and my plan it to take 2 or 3 pre-charged packs to the track. Coming in at 242 lbs., I have plans to drop a little more weight in the future. I also need to Thank Mark911 for great programming advice and Paul at ASI for the initial setup for its 1st spin. I can not begin to Thank Don enough for all the time, emails, texts and available products to complete the ECRF. When my sons can help with photos and procedure to post photos, I will put them up on this thread. I will be riding the track at Cahuilla Sunday with Don. Ride report to follow.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
It’s pretty easy with a cell phone.
- Take pics.
- Login to the AOF forum from your phone
- Start composing your response.
- Click the picture icon in the post or copy & paste. (either works).

1622391702722.jpeg

DonCox

Bob did such a nice, clean conversion. It really felt good. His controller works so much better than mine. My Kelly controller is junk. The ASI controller worked real smoothly. And like Bob said thanks to @Mark911, your help tuned it in. I had a really fun ride on it on the Vet ( I am one) track, electric bikes are so fun in the turns, I felt Copper web doing the 180 turns on the supercross track. ( it's great to dream.)

Mark911

Thanks for the kind comments, both you guys (Bob and Don). The ASI controller's current control algorithms are pretty darn good, so once you get the motor characterized properly it's typically all just fine tuning. This makes the whole process pretty easy and the results are typically quite good performance wise. On the other hand, controllers like Sevcon can be a real bear to get running properly. The software is so flexible to accommodate a wide variety of end use that the hundreds and hundreds of adjustable parameters can be very intimidating and chances are, if you're not experienced with tuning that brand controller, the initial tuning efforts will be disappointing and frustrating. However, if you know what you're doing, the Sevcons can be dialed in better than any other controller I've worked with.

testus191

Mark, have you figured anything out on the over current issues with the ASI? I thought I saw a post of your somewhere stating something about this.

Mark911

I think I have it 90% solved. It all depends on the rider and the situation. If you're not personally getting the fault I wouldn't worry about it.

testus191

I think I have it 90% solved. It all depends on the rider and the situation. If you're not personally getting the fault I wouldn't worry about it.
Is the solution in the programming or an actual physical modification? I do not have an ASI, working on finishing up my wiring harness to start programming my Sevcon Gen 4 for my QS motor. I've just read of the many woes of DVT and that ASI is much easier in comparison but have been turned off due to the over-current issues. Also, the limit to using a 72V system.

testus191

Thanks Jason, you made it easy for me again. Don rode it today and said he really liked it. It performed better than I expected. Just have the stock suspension for now, so it needs tuning. Will look for a little more snap but very happy. Updates when they happen.
Chain drive for the reduction?

Mark911

Is the solution in the programming or an actual physical modification? I do not have an ASI, working on finishing up my wiring harness to start programming my Sevcon Gen 4 for my QS motor. I've just read of the many woes of DVT and that ASI is much easier in comparison but have been turned off due to the over-current issues. Also, the limit to using a 72V system.
Right now I'd say it's 75% physical mod and the rest programming. I say "right now" because the problem is still present under the right (wrong) conditions. The Sevcon is a tougher nut to crack compared to the ASI that's for sure. However, as you mentioned, the higher voltage capability of the Sevcon combined with better field weakening and current carrying ability (Size 6 sevcon) make it the better choice for higher hp applications (35-55hp). Below 35hp and the ASI is a no brainer. I'm talking actual rear wheel hp, not controller KWs converted to hp.

Bob Casper

I have a chain reduction using 520 chain. the drive ratio ends up being 5.7 to 1. I am going to experiment with a couple different ratios and see what is best for each track we ride.

Bob Casper

The reduction shaft is adjustable making it possible to adjust the primary chain and use different size primary sprocket and countershaft sprocket

testus191

Right now I'd say it's 75% physical mod and the rest programming. I say "right now" because the problem is still present under the right (wrong) conditions. The Sevcon is a tougher nut to crack compared to the ASI that's for sure. However, as you mentioned, the higher voltage capability of the Sevcon combined with better field weakening and current carrying ability (Size 6 sevcon) make it the better choice for higher hp applications (35-55hp). Below 35hp and the ASI is a no brainer. I'm talking actual rear wheel hp, not controller KWs converted to hp.
I’m curious, what’re you seeing efficiency wise from electrical power to rear wheel hp?