1000 Miles On The EXR Today

VINSANITY

The 50 watt light bar off eBay worked - I don’t know why.

The squadron Sport also works with no issues but the squadron pro didn’t work - I assume it had to much draw and the Alta software shut it down.

Regarding the signal lights the only ones I found that work are from New Rage Cycle (NEC) and the connectors plug into the stock Alta harness.

Regarding the rear tail light the NRC light works but I had a lot of issues with the tire contacting the license plate- I modified and re-modified but still if you ride it hard the tire still catches the plate and does a bunch of damage.

I have a Baja Designs enduro tail light - the plastic and light fits really well - the tire did catch the plastic so I had to trim it a little - the brake light works but the running light flashes and then goes out - I’ve tried all kinds of resistors and diodes and nothing worked for me - I tried to replicate the resistor in the NRC light but that didn’t work.

I would really like to figure this out so I don’t get busted when riding on the street

Any ideas are welcome

snydes

Staff member
That’s interesting on the headlight, makes me wonder if it’s actually the wattage they claim. Wish I could help on the taillight, I just know from everything I’ve read here that these circuits are very picky about loads.

VINSANITY

I doubt that eBay light is really 50 watts but it has about the same brightness as the Baja Designs Sport so plenty bright

Motophyllic

Awesome write up. Love seeing modded Altas. I’m addicted to these bikes. Every time I see a different mod, I feel like I need it for my bike 😁

Caryder

Call it the Houston Electric Hooligans.

There is Alta Ed who lives up North - he has four Alta’s, one of each type I believe - he is recovering from a major shoulder injury however.

FYI - Ed is the Vice President of The Sam Houston Trails Association who administers the multi-use trails.

On a related note the multi use trails suffered major damage a few weeks ago when very high winds went through the area - lots of downed trees, trails still not open

Nice bike and great write up! I might investigate that light bar.

I lived in Houston in the 60’s & 70’s. When I started racing enduro in the mid 70’s, it was with with a club called Trail Riders of Houston (TRH). It appears they still exist.

I lived about 5 miles from Rio Bravo motocross track back when they hosted nationals and this young kid named Marty Smith was all the rage. It was pretty cool seeing Smith and Hannah back then. Edit: Appears Rio Bravo still exists too!

Edit: Major bummer, was just looking up Marty Smith and apparently he and his wife were killed in a dunes accident on April 27th. :-(

VINSANITY

Man I recently saw a video with Marty Smith / he was in great shape still riding - that’s a real downer.

Life is short so ride your Alta

VINSANITY

Regarding the half throttle, basically you just cut the throttle body shorter - I left the throttle on the bike and cut it using a pipe cutter (round and round until you get through and it makes a nice even cut)

Then you install a new grip - thin one on the throttle and a thick one for the rest.

Once you get used to this you really can’t go back - you will whiskey throttle all the time with a full length throttle

1563B6BD-35C9-448A-AD0F-17D52CEE8E95.jpeg

VINSANITY

About the modifications - Alta did a great job making these bikes ready to ride.

Each modification I did was a response to something I felt I needed to change or something annoying about the stock part.

Interesting that when I rode a stock Alta without my personal mods I had a hard time riding the bike.

Oded

I love the half throttle mod.
Since we don't have gears to limit top speed, Whiskey throttle is the thing that I fear the most.
I may give it a try, once I get my hand on a spare throttle, in case I want to go back.

From the photo it looks like the same grip for the entire length, with no thickness difference.

F451

Th half throttle, I’m not getting it. Perhaps it’s one of those you have to try it feel the benefit things?

Are people whiskey throttling all over the place with these Altas?

Motophyllic

I’d love to try that half throttle. Looks very interesting. I had similar on a mountain bike and liked it. Great idea.

evh1

I doubt that eBay light is really 50 watts but it has about the same brightness as the Baja Designs Sport so plenty bright
Did the light you bought come with handlebar mounts? Would love a pic or two more there as I wan to copy...sincerest form of flattery man...
Also the front brake disk cover link and mods needed.
I am curious if you’re riding the bike a lot, as I do, your thoughts on the tank side panels, bruised insides of knees and possible fixes! It hurts like hell especially landing from jumps with knees tucked into grip best or downhills. As I hunt off of mine a lot, Idont wear knee pads under my Camo

VINSANITY

Here are some pictures of the headlight mounting - I already had the handguards installed and by luck the mounts that came with the headlight fit (with some slight bending)

Regarding the throttle spring change out front unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures - selling out the throttle bolts is a very tricky operation - if you do it wrong you can destroy the plastic throttle body. The goal is to remove the head of the anti-tamper screws so you can take the throttle apart - by trial and error I would this return spring from a Webber carb and it actually worked.

Regarding the shrouds - I cant stand the stock ones - I jump on the bike a lot to just ride around the neighborhood and my knees always ache after - there is a good thread on AOF where a member is trying to 3D print some better ones but that is proving difficult as the shape of the Alta frame is a challenge.

0572B85E-FF83-4296-AF67-81EE6894FF7B.jpeg

BAA4282A-7011-44E9-8ACD-CA157D110454.jpeg

BE35CCC9-0364-48D4-ACA2-378B604B4A95.jpeg

E424105A-A2DA-4EF4-BF6A-F89D988EE917.png

329342CA-74A5-419F-B061-7E03CC5A6823.jpeg

evh1

Thanks so much! Clever use with the hand guard mounts. +1 sir. I have an extra throttle assembly so I’ll try your idea. Makes sense
I somewhat remember the thread on tank plastics. I’ll reread. Just had a fun day with my daughter and her Bf riding Altas and their poor knees were toast after 2 hrs. We discussed the “aggressive look” the ribbed side panels give a ho hum E-bike and wondered if this was left as is even after the testers had to of complained about their knees. That was our take on it anyway.
I thought about taking the panels off and filling in the gaps with expansive foam and then trimming it flush and covering with BNGs...still thinking
Appreciate the help

Trialsman

I thought about taking the panels off and filling in the gaps with expansive foam and then trimming it flush and covering with BNGs...still thinking
Appreciate the help

Would there be any merit to using a heat gun to the side panel? While it is warm and pliable, push them in with a block to create a softer contour. I have often remolded fenders, gas tanks, and other assorted plastic parts. You could even unfold the u-shaped contour of each rib to soften the overall shape as well. You would give more surface area for your knees to rub against and further soften the felt pain on your knees. I was going to do this but, since I always wear knee braces, I have not yet felt the need. It seems like this could help those of you who are having issue with the side panels. Give it a try.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
If someone does try this. Document it and post it for others to see what you did.

The bike was working well, at least until we tried to fix the ouchety shrouds...

"You take the left shroud, I'll take the right! What could possibly go wrong?"
1589257141512.png