“Cycle key to clear battery error” with dead battery

Mark911

Study the high voltage circuit from the charger plug to the battery +/- leads. I think you'll discover that voltage from the charger goes from the charge port to the black box nearest the port. I believe this is the Battery Control Unit. From there it goes to the Inverter and finally to the battery leads. The BCU probably controls the switching mosfets for charging/discharging (not to be confused with motor control switching/modulation) located in the inverter and monitors the amount of energy going into and out of the pack for SOC calculations.

If you have direct access to the packs +/- terminals you theoretically could charge it with the supply you mentioned, but it better be a smart charger made for L-ion cells for safety. Obviously, the pack won't be near balanced but if the goal is to just get everything about 2.5v or so it'll probably work.

Also note, the stock charger probably has a relay at the output (mine does). You might be able to jumper closed the relay and get it to at least provide the voltage you are looking for. Probably still wont charge through the port however, but you never know.

Motophyllic

You sure could. It’s not my field of expertise, but it seems like so many people out there could copy the battery practically overnight. China, India, and Russia etc. reverse engineer and copy just about anything. Good luck, it’s definitely doable.

Cyrus David

Okgot it figured out.. So had to spend some money on two regulated power supplies, one 30vdc and one 300vdc. The 30vdc I used to clip to the individual cell pack test points to balance best I could then clipped the 300vdc to all 4 packs in series and brought them all up to 308vdc (high as this supply would put out). It took a lot of time but basically I brought the voltage up enough for the battery to come on line and charge with the Alta charger. She now charges up fine.. Bike has a whopping 24miles on it so was going to be very sad to not bring her back to life...

Warning to all users.. DO NOT store your Alta with an empty battery.. I’ve learned a lot about lithium batteries in the last month and if they drop below that 2vdc threshold per cell (peak range 3.7-4.2), you really have to throw some power to them to bring them back. Mine were below this from sitting fully discharged but luckily the pack was so new it did not hurt it and I was able to bring it back.

ageess

somebody knows what to do with upcoming code 009 charger point wet but the point is dry we checked this do we need laptop to clear if we do not connect the charger point and put ignition on ther ist no fault code on the display any ideas batterie is 20% left thx

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Happy to hear the problem solved itself, but it would be nice to know what was the root cause.

Thanks for the update.

ageess

we opened the charger port with cover and we use pressure air to dry, and a little bit warm air , than we let it sit in the garage overnight with 20 Degrees and it works in the morning and no codes :) THX

paul34

Anyone had a 103 code? I rode my bike for the first time today and took the battery down to about 1/8 SOC per my gauge. I hooked up my charger and it will come on for about a second then clicks off and reads "stopped 103". Since this was my first time charging I left the charger on to see if it would come back on but the bike completely shuts down even with the key in the on position. Any help is greatly appreciated.

snydes

Staff member
Anyone had a 103 code? I rode my bike for the first time today and took the battery down to about 1/8 SOC per my gauge. I hooked up my charger and it will come on for about a second then clicks off and reads "stopped 103". Since this was my first time charging I left the charger on to see if it would come back on but the bike completely shuts down even with the key in the on position. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It is likely the electrical circuit you are attempting to use. Please check out the following thread;
2018 Alta fault code 103 second time

paul34

Thanks snydes. I read through the entire post and they ended up using an outlet in their kitchen that worked best. I guess my questions are more in depth. Since there's no dealer support I wasn't able to get any info prior to my purchase. I have the "R" charger that came with the bike and according to the manual I downloaded from Alta's website they operate on 120v AND/OR 240v. I plugged this into my 240v welding outlet and I'm getting 240v at the plug end just before the charger itself but nothing coming out. The GFCI stays lit with no issues. I'm thinking that I'll plug into a 120v outlet to see what happens...

snydes

Staff member
If you are getting the 103 code, there is power to the charger past the GFCI. Charging would not initiate otherwise.

You are correct, the charger is capable of either 120v or 240v.